Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA captain diverts flight, removes pax because of IFE complaints

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA captain diverts flight, removes pax because of IFE complaints

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2013, 9:16 pm

Programs: Double Platinum all programs (Shh it's a secret level)
Look away.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
I cant comment as I was not on the flight. The correct way, would be to make a comment after landing. No need to cause an issue in flight. At the time the passenger was angry, we do not know what they said to the FA. Without knowing the full details, we cant say it wasn't justified.
The cops didn't do anything, obviously what happened didn't reach the level of breaking the law.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLAT, HYATT PLAT, HH GOLD, AA GOLD, MR GOLD
You know what I am offended by?

BORING MOVIES
Old Apr 2, 2013, 9:30 pm

Programs: General member, former 1P
Originally Posted by ButIsItArt
Strange: I cannot seem to find any mention if this incident in the MSM or on the web. Seems like this kind of story would have been reported in the Wacky News Column or on a bashboard somewhere.
If "The Atlantic" and James Fallows aren't mainstream media then I don't know what is.

Originally Posted by halls120
If you think your kids aren't watching content you'd rather they didn't, you're fooling yourself. Back when my kids were 6 and 2, one of my daughter's friends was over at our house a lot, and when she was over, she always wanted to watch TV, even when it was nice outside. I happened to mention that to my daughter one evening, and she said, "Oh Dad, her parents won't let her watch TV, so she just comes over here."

Getting back to the issue at hand, if you are a parent who has concerns about what UA, DL or AA are currently showing on board their flights, you can always fly WN.
"If you don't think your kids aren't watching content you'd rather they didn't while they visit halls120's house, you're fooling yourself."

/fixed

Setting aside halls120's undermining the parents of his daughter's friend, there's a reason we have just one TV - with no cable. Our son, age 5, watches 60-90 minutes a day, which is more than he probably should. (Lazy parents.) But what he does see is strictly PBS Kids, Netflix Just For Kids and our own DVDs.

I'm gathering from this thread that a lot of parents run households where the TV (or TVs) are on all day showing all kinds of programs to whoever happens to be in the room. (Kind of like airline lounges!) Our household is not one of them.

As a parent and a frequent flyer, it does not seem unreasonable to me to expect United to select out of all the films in the history of the world a film - remember, a film that will be "force fed" on screens that cannot be controlled or retracted - that is reviewed like this: "Women are something of an endangered sex in “Alex Cross”: one, half-dressed in black lingerie, dies after all her fingers are methodically snipped off. Another is similarly tortured to death; a third is shot straight through the chest."

Again, United seems to be the only business in America that thinks showing this film to captive customers constitutes "best practices." Who knows. Maybe I'll see "Kiss the Girls" next week while waiting with my kid at the dentist's office. When I complain, I'll get ripped for being a bad parent.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
The cops didn't do anything, obviously what happened didn't reach the level of breaking the law.
Flights divert all the time without an arrest. Security isn't always about what did happen but what could've happened. You were not on the airplane so "obviously" you have no facts and cant judge the crew.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 9:39 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
This may be true in this case (or not) but your underlying logic is faulty. I break the law speeding and doing California stops every day. Even if u told the police about it after the fact, I doubt they would do anything. That doesn't mean I didn't break the law. Lack of action by a law enforcement official not present for an offence (alleged) in no way confirms a law was not broken, just like in court a verdict of "not guilty" does not mean the judge/jury say the defendant is "innocent"
Old Apr 2, 2013, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by fahrradman
I did a quick check on "Alex Cross United" on Google News and came up empty, other than the Atlantic blog. I'm thinking maybe this is BS, someone with an ax to grind and a made up story to tell. All the author comments is that he knows the real names of the family and pilot.
It's like reading an academic journal article written by someone like Stiglitz or Kahneman, where a claim is made of an interesting discovery about the most successful private equity firms, but all the important pieces of the argument are cited as, "Personal correspondence", and the usual descriptives are omitted.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 10:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Flights divert all the time without an arrest. Security isn't always about what did happen but what could've happened. You were not on the airplane so "obviously" you have no facts and cant judge the crew.
Given the history of PMUA crews acting in a mentally unstable and irrational manner, often to the extreme (where I would consider filing a ASRS report against them), I'd have to assume this was yet another nutter-butter reaction from someone who needs a 30 day timeout from flying and a company ordered counseling session to determine their future fitness to act as pilot in command.

As to the movie, I haven't seen it and sounds beyond gross, but the world around us is for adults, not children - if an objectionable movie is playing on the screen, or perhaps on the private laptop of the passenger a row up or across the aisle, the correct response from the parent is to distract or otherwise occupy their child - not childproof the world by ordering other adults to modify their behavior.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 10:20 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by ButIsItArt
Strange: I cannot seem to find any mention if this incident in the MSM or on the web. Seems like this kind of story would have been reported in the Wacky News Column or on a bashboard somewhere.
What I find interesting is that James Fallows (who is about as MSM as you can get and is very well respected) who says he has millions of miles on UA and is GS is suddenly going off on their poor service.

Fallows in not the "cranky fliers" he is a well respected guy who is probably read by a few hundred thousand people. It is so bad that he is going off on UA.

I think its a bad sign of how far UA's service has fallen that no one in 185 posts has observed how much he dumps on how low UA has gone, we all just know its true. Yet his mostly well healed and well educated readers may not have flown UA recently, but they sure know about UA now.

I am as lose as it comes with my kids, but they are 5 and 9 and I don't want them watching a violent movie, and I can understand the mom raising the issue. Whether the FA did not communicate it well or the pilot was a jack-..., nothing in this incident, or the anti-UA posts that caused it to surface makes UA look good.

Last edited by spin88; Apr 2, 2013 at 10:30 pm
Old Apr 2, 2013, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by Baze
It is amazing how many posters in this thread are so quick to judge and want the captain fired without knowing all the facts. There are always 2 sides to a story and we will never know the other side. We only have a second hand writeup of a one sided story. Anyone remember the old game of telephone? How distorted a story got and how fast it got distorted? Judge not least ye be judged.
But, most of us knew what happened with that blogger getting kicked off on a UA flight for nothing. So, forgive us if we feel that some UA pilots and FAs don't deserve to be employed.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by waxearwings
So how big of an a**hole could they possibly have been??
Big enough to result in a diversion and being offloaded.

Originally Posted by gailwynand
If UA wanted to save money, they could just get rid of the video programming on the overhead screens and show the flight information instead. I'd actually prefer that; I can't think of a single time they have shown something I wanted to watch.
Then you should fly US Airways more on domestic flights. They have no in-flight video entertainment,

Originally Posted by halls120
I believe he did, in diverting the flight to Chicago because a passenger complained about IFE.
You have absolutely no idea why the pilot diverted.

Originally Posted by Boghopper
Unfortunately the movie ratings are mostly about sexual content. IMO they (the MPAA) are amazingly tolerant of violence, such that there are lots of PG-13 films (such as Alex Cross) that are completely inappropriate.
Inappropriate by your individual standards. You do not get to judge for the entire aircraft.

I don't want to be stuck watching The Sound of Music on every flight.

Originally Posted by iquitos
When do you expect we will hear the unvarnished "other" side? This Captain looks like a jerk to me.
Since you haven't heard his side of the story, you have no idea so your comment is premature and inappropriate.

Originally Posted by iquitos
How would I know him? Still sounds like a jerk to me. Couldn't even be bothered to speak to the passenger himself to assess the situation before taking drastic action with precious little justification. Who knows what the FA told him. A passenger complaint about a movie is not a security threat.
Firstly, since 9/11, pilots do not leave the cockpit to resolve disputes in the cabin. Period. Argue all you want, they don't and they won't. Nor should they.

Secondly, diversions can be made for more than just security threats. If you have an out-of-control passenger yelling and screaming and not listening to flight attendants, that flight should divert.

We don't know what happened here, but it did not have to be a security threat to justify a diversion.

Originally Posted by mre5765
A trained law enforcement officer investigated and found no law was broken. That suffices for me. Requesting the IFE be turned off is not grounds for diverting and is not a security threat. As for "jam up tv" you are fantasizing.
There doesn't have to be an arrestable offense to justify a diversion.

The only fantasizing here is your presumption the diversion was inappropriate when you don't have all the facts. Since diversions do not happen all the time, that indicates to me that this was more than a minor disturbance.

Originally Posted by NFeldberg
Sorry folks, but if a captain is going to divert a flight for this reason and call it a "security threat" he is going to have to explain the reasons why he felt it was warranted as well as a ton of paper work. I'm calling BS on this entire story unless there was something major left out. I wouldn't be surprised if it was completely made up. Diversions cost the airlines money and when you call it a security issue, its kind of a big deal.
Pilots do not divert unnecessarily. It is a big deal. Whether it was a security issue or not is not really the point. Whatever the disturbance was, this crew wanted that family off the flight.

Originally Posted by avhokie
Haven't posted on FT in forever but found this story somewhere else and decided to check the views here. As a father of two kids under 3 years old I would be pissed at having Alex Cross forced on them. What a complete lack of judgment on UA's part. Oh, and for the folks who are in the "deal with it" camp, either you don't have kids or you don't care. In either case, it doesn't make UA's terrible decision any better. I hope whoever approved that movie got reprimanded and I hope the pilot gets it as well.
It very well may not have been wise for UA to show that film, but I do know how the family reacted was inappropriate or the flight would not have been diverted and the family offloaded.

Originally Posted by roadkit
If I was the passenager in question, I'd sue UA and the pilot. In fact, I'd make it my life's work to see that he never flew an airliner again.
Good luck on that one.

Originally Posted by villox
Honestly the only appropriate action in this situation is to do your best to shield your children from it and complain to United afterwards that it was inappropriate. You'd probably even receive some compensation.

Asking for any action that would affect the rest of the passengers on the flight is not the way to go.
Agree 100%.

Originally Posted by IflyfromABE
In my book this is a fireable action by the captain...
Gee, don't bother to ascertain all the facts before casting judgment on a pilot reacting to what he was told by his crew.

Originally Posted by gailwynand
The flight did divert, you can check Flightaware for the date in question. And it's not much more ridiculous than what happened to MatthewLAX, which is verified.
Too bad you don't have any idea what actually occurred before making your decision that the diversion was ridiculous.

Last edited by Always Flyin; Apr 2, 2013 at 10:54 pm Reason: Edit
Old Apr 2, 2013, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
I kind of hate how the tenor of some of the comments in this thread has followed a template I see in a lot of discussions about Apple/Facebook/Google/Microsoft:

This company has a right to do X, therefore it was right to do X.

Also, Fallows is an excellent journalist with decades of experience--and a pilot's license he seems to put to regular use.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by flavorflav
If "The Atlantic" and James Fallows aren't mainstream media then I don't know what is.
Yes, that's the point: why is he breaking this?
Old Apr 2, 2013, 11:25 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DCA writer
I kind of hate how the tenor of some of the comments in this thread has followed a template I see in a lot of discussions about Apple/Facebook/Google/Microsoft:

This company has a right to do X, therefore it was right to do X./\
I don't think that is the general tenor. I believe the general tenor is that we don't know what happened and therefore don't know if the response was prudent or not.

Also, Fallows is an excellent journalist with decades of experience--and a pilot's license he seems to put to regular use.
Perhaps so, but this piece is a hatchet job on UA (not that it doesn't deserve it). As to this particular episode, he presented a one-sided story, which certainly doesn't strike me as credible journalism.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 11:32 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Perhaps so, but this piece is a hatchet job on UA (not that it doesn't deserve it). As to this particular episode, he presented a one-sided story, which certainly doesn't strike me as credible journalism.
he reached out to UA, did not get an answer (guess they were too busy?) When that happens, he can post/publish. He is very careful to say he can't independently confirm the story.

Note also this story came out of his more general posts about his unhappiness with UA, dispite being GS.

I've seen lots of hatchet jobs, this is not one of them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.