Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Early Gate Control -> IDB?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2013, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct
In terms of the SFO story, which started this thread, I don't agree with Often1 and the others that say this is NOT IDB.
While I'm mostly on the side of the OP in this case.. the UA website does say regarding check in cutoff:

"Check-in and baggage check completed: 60 minutes" for international flights.

The OP got there with 6 minutes to spare which obviously wasn't enough. To me this makes whether it's an IDB or not quite dubious. It's interesting the OP was able to get a mobile BP, because that would mean he was already checked in for the flight and probably could have traveled. It's not likely the OP's seat had been given away if he had a seat assignment..only the friend's. It's also possible the OP was able to check in because his passport info was already stored with UA from a previous trip.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by arcticbull
Short answer: Ottawa (for UA6104 @ 7:28pm)
Ottawa is a preclearance airport. I cannot imagine that T-60 is practical for U.S. bound flights. Does Ottawa still require U.S. bound pax to hand carry checked bags through U.S. customs and then bag drop, or is it like Vancouver and Dublin where the bags are checked at the airline check-in counter? If the former, there is simply no way T-60 is workable. I always allow 3 hours at preclearance airports.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by mre5765
Ottawa is a preclearance airport. I cannot imagine that T-60 is practical for U.S. bound flights. Does Ottawa still require U.S. bound pax to hand carry checked bags through U.S. customs and then bag drop, or is it like Vancouver and Dublin where the bags are checked at the airline check-in counter? If the former, there is simply no way T-60 is workable. I always allow 3 hours at preclearance airports.
The poster indicated that Sunday nights are a very dead time for YOW and that they had Nexus which means they can get through pretty quickly regardless.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Originally Posted by mre5765
You carry it through and drop it yourself. However as I stated before, not only do I have Nexus and therefore Global Entry, was checking no bags, but at 7:30pm on a Sunday the entire airport is deserted. I was the only one at check-in kiosks, and I saw all the security people sitting around in the security area.

I've once gone from the east end of Ottawa to Gate is less than 30 minutes, including a 20m drive.

Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct
In terms of the SFO story, which started this thread, I don't agree with Often1 and the others that say this is NOT IDB. Clearly, the OP stated that an agent saw him/her arrive prior to the cutoff and thus, received an apology from the UA supervisor and a voucher. Therefore, I consider this to be an admission of IDB. United can clearly see that passengers were accommodated prior to the 60-minute cutoff (since the OP and the friend's seats were given away when they arrived), so it's obvious they jumped the gun. Now, whether accepting the $200 vouchers means they won't get anything else is another matter.

In terms of the Ottawa story, there things get tricky. No one saw the passenger arrive (or probably wouldn't admit to it) and when he/she was processed, it was beyond the cutoff point, so out of luck. The fact that the flight was closed at 6:35, which is after the poster admittedly made it to check-in area really means nothing as if it was after the cutoff point, the agents are not required to do anything. By denying boarding and adding 2 more displaced AC passengers resulting in an oversold situation by 1, United clearly showed they considered this late arrival. However, they did re-route to YYZ and promised a hotel, so I'm not sure any further compensation is warranted but I would give it a shot.

I have been in this situation many times over the past 6 months. As a non-US citizen (EU citizen), I always get the "This is Not a Boarding Pass" PDF in my e-mail. And even though I've gone through the Check In steps, I still see the Check In option on my reservation in the United app. Also, I didn't appear on the Upgrade list. Thus, I never thought this PDF meant I checked in. Unless I get an actual boarding pass, I won't consider myself checked in. And since I always check luggage when I fly to Europe, I try to get at the airport around hour-and-a-half before the flight despite having access to the much faster Premier line. I really hate this about United's OLCI because no other airline does that. I've flown LH, BA, US, etc. and I've always gotten a BP after going through OLCI. As a Premier Gold, I have my passport added to MP and it's valid until 2015 and thus far, it has been verified by United 4 times over the past year. What more could they possibly want? Unfortunately, this is the way their process works, so we have to work with it. Luckily, since I get lounge access, I can justify getting to the airport earlier and using it until boarding starts. In the past, when I didn't have status, I would always try to get to the airport as late as possible as I hated hanging out in the gate area.

Good Luck to both in getting everything resolved!
Thanks! You may well be right. No matter what, it's lesson learned to be sure.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 2, 2013 at 12:33 pm Reason: merge
Old Apr 2, 2013, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by UnitedFlyGuy
All the details are a moot point. T60, t62, who cares.

Fact of the matter is: arrive early for any flight. OP cut it close and learned the hard way. Lesson learned.
+1 I do not understand those that do not arrive early. Airports are cool places to be. I even arrive early at very small airports such as ITH. Have been doing so for decades, even during those weeks where every day is flight day.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Indelaware
+1 I do not understand those that do not arrive early. Airports are cool places to be. I even arrive early at very small airports such as ITH. Have been doing so for decades, even during those weeks where every day is flight day.
Not everyone has the time/ability to arrive super early...

Last edited by weirdlyndon; Apr 2, 2013 at 3:13 pm Reason: add

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.