Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Gate agents pre/post security- any difference?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate agents pre/post security- any difference?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2013, 11:01 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Looked up GG STANDBY today.....quote -- (partial content) --

"IN ADDITION TO THE ORIGINAL AIRPORT OF DEPARTURE OR ARRIVAL, THE CUSTOMER MAY CHECK IN AND STANDBY TO/FROM SAME POINT CITIES, ie., IAD/DCA.
PLEASE NOTE STANDBY WOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO/FROM A SAME CITY POINT IF THE FARE IS VALID TO/FROM A SPECIFIC AIRPORT ONLY. SEE FARE RULE FOR SAME POINT CITIES."

-------
So......, it turns out this can be done after all. Let's say you hold a ticketed reservation from IAD to ORD but you want to fly from DCA to ORD. We know the normal standby entry in SHARES only works from the same airport.

However, I did ask a veteran CO agent today to look at this statement and tell me how this can be done. She said we would have to add a segment into the PNR -- (example)

UA 123Y 22 APR IADORD 400pm HK1 = [passenger is holding confirmed this segment]
ARNK
UA 400Y 22 APR DCAORD 900pm PD1 = [PD = waitlisted - this is what we add].

Personally I would only recommend this --

1. If the passenger really wants to deal with two airports and has a wide gap of time between the two flights or obviously has missed the earlier flight.
2. If the passenger wants to risk the standby; no guarantee.
3. Or I would encourage the passenger to confirm space (if available) and pay the SDC fee if they choose to go to the other airport thereby eliminating the guesswork. I would not charge the fee during irregular ops.
4. Regarding above GG information, if the same fare is not valid from/to the co-terminal airport, we could disregard this rule during irregular ops.

Apparently the SHARES entry for the PD'd flight 400 would be this --

6:W400/22APRDCA-SMITH/JOHN

Hope this helps ?

Last edited by FlyingNone; Apr 1, 2013 at 11:10 pm
Old Apr 2, 2013, 6:09 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by FlyingNone
Looked up GG STANDBY today.....quote -- (partial content) --

"IN ADDITION TO THE ORIGINAL AIRPORT OF DEPARTURE OR ARRIVAL, THE CUSTOMER MAY CHECK IN AND STANDBY TO/FROM SAME POINT CITIES, ie., IAD/DCA.
PLEASE NOTE STANDBY WOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO/FROM A SAME CITY POINT IF THE FARE IS VALID TO/FROM A SPECIFIC AIRPORT ONLY. SEE FARE RULE FOR SAME POINT CITIES."
This is extremely helpful! Do you happen to remember what line numbers those are?

You're right that it seems too risky a lot of the time -- of course, it would be a lot less bad if you're trying to standby TO a different airport rather than FROM a different airport.

SDC is naturally a safer option. Do you know if there's anything in the GG SDC text that allows the same thing? It would seem kind of silly if you could do it as a standby but not SDC, but wonders never cease
Old Apr 2, 2013, 7:35 am

Smile

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
This is extremely helpful! Do you happen to remember what line numbers those are?

You're right that it seems too risky a lot of the time -- of course, it would be a lot less bad if you're trying to standby TO a different airport rather than FROM a different airport.

SDC is naturally a safer option. Do you know if there's anything in the GG SDC text that allows the same thing? It would seem kind of silly if you could do it as a standby but not SDC, but wonders never cease
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'll get back to you.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 10:55 am

Programs: UA 1K
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'll get back to you.
Thanks!
Old Apr 2, 2013, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by mgcsinc

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The line numbers in GG STANDBY are 131-141.

Looked up GG SDC text today and could not find any reference anywhere allowing SDC application from a co-terminal airport. Do we then assume it's forbidden ?...well, no, if we go back and read about it in GG STANDBY (??). Truthfully, this is a debate I would not tackle with my coworkers. I would just use my BEST JUDGEMENT in favor of NOT TORTURING THE PASSENGER !!

As I have stated above, irregular ops are another matter. If a person is flying out of LGA (ie., conex to SFO) and and the whole thing goes south due to mechanical or weather with no options available out of LGA, I would find it impossible to believe that any CSR would not protect out of JFK or EWR if the passenger so desires.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 10:23 pm

Programs: Skymiles, MPL Chase Premier
I would just use my BEST JUDGEMENT in favor of NOT TORTURING THE PASSENGER !!
I'm glad that you also operate that way, I'm sick of pax thinking that I'm there to just make their life hell.

On the other hand, I'm sick of pax twisting my words when I tell them one thing and then they lie out of their teeth saying something completely opposite. I had an instance where a pax risked a connection even after my advice. When they got to the hub, they didn't have a gate and blew the connection. They blew a lid on the plane and the police had to show up at the gate. Thankfully, there was a commuter on that plane that backed up my story when UA reps/police questioned him regarding it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.