Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Bar in United Clubs (Is there a time when they start serving alcohol?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2013, 10:51 am
Original Poster

I just joined Flyertalk after reading for many years. I just have a quick question regarding the bar in United Clubs. (Please don't take this the wrong way, I am just curious!) Is there a time when they start serving alcohol or is it from the time the club opens? I ask this being based at IAH where there are some draconian liquor laws on Sundays.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 10:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
They follow local laws. In Vegas they serve anytime they are open.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Thanks, I figured that would be the case. So specifically at IAH, are they open early the rest of the week? I am trying to surprise a newlywed couple returning from a honeymoon in EZE.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 11:03 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by max35divided
Thanks, I figured that would be the case. So specifically at IAH, are they open early the rest of the week? I am trying to surprise a newlywed couple returning from a honeymoon in EZE.
Here is the law in Texas: http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/faq/general.asp. Scroll down to Hours of Sale and Consumption. In a nutshell it's 7am Mon-Sat, and Noon on Sunday. Other states have dumb laws too like NJ. In Washington it's 6am-2am every day.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 11:33 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Here is the law in Texas: http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/faq/general.asp. Scroll down to Hours of Sale and Consumption. In a nutshell it's 7am Mon-Sat, and Noon on Sunday. Other states have dumb laws too like NJ. In Washington it's 6am-2am every day.
It looks like there's an exception for service of food, which allows serving alcohol at 10am.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 11:38 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by PTahCha
It looks like there's an exception for service of food, which allows serving alcohol at 10am.
Yes, but it would appear that the UA Clubs do not qualify because they don't serve liquor until noon Sundays at IAH.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 1:41 pm
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Local laws. IIRC, PDX only recently was allowed to sell any kind of hard liquor, and even now it has to wait until noon. I've never tried before noon at the SEA United Club, but I have gotten a drink at other SEA-based clubs.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Scottrick
Local laws. IIRC, PDX only recently was allowed to sell any kind of hard liquor, and even now it has to wait until noon. I've never tried before noon at the SEA United Club, but I have gotten a drink at other SEA-based clubs.
They start at 6am sharp at the Clubs at SEA... I know from experience.
higher_flyer likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 1:57 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by max35divided
I ask this being based at IAH where there are some draconian liquor laws on Sundays.
I love the Bloody Marys at IAH, but can't get them until 7 a.m. Of course now that I no longer fly from IAH and only connect there, it's not a problem. Don't normaly fly out on a Sunday, so can't speak from experience.

DFW is another matter (though hours are same), but they make them different, and not as good

EmailKid
Old Mar 22, 2013, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by EmailKid
I love the Bloody Marys at IAH, but can't get them until 7 a.m. Of course now that I no longer fly from IAH and only connect there, it's not a problem. Don't normaly fly out on a Sunday, so can't speak from experience.

DFW is another matter (though hours are same), but they make them different, and not as good

EmailKid
EWR makes a mean Bloody Mary as well.
bmwe92fan likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
They can't help it.
uanj and FlyingHoustonian like this.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 4:13 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
They can't help it.

Will give it a shot in December :-:

EmailKid
Old Mar 23, 2013, 5:55 am

Programs: United Premier Gold, AirBerlin Gold, Starwood Gold, Avis Preferred, CBP Global Entry
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Yes, but I wouldn't call what they offer in the United Club "food."
Old Mar 23, 2013, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
They can't help it.
I intended to enjoy that sip of cocktail and not lose it through laughter.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 8:14 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Last time I was at the PHL UC another patron ordered a bloody Mary at 5:30am.

ETA: No, it wasn't me although I thought about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.