Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

We would never pass over you for an upgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

We would never pass over you for an upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:46 pm

Programs: SQ KF (ex-UA)
Originally Posted by y2k1jetta
The one thing I miss from old pmUA was the txt message confirming upgrade. "Upgrade Confirmed" was my favorite txt anytime of the day. Why doesn't COdbaUA do that?
They send out emails, I've gotten them.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
On a regional out of IAD, was first on the UG list with F not checked in full. They started boarding, clearly not intending to ever deal with the upgrades. I went up to the podium and asked if I could have my upgrade, pretty please with a cherry on top. He had to board the whole plane first, but then dealt with it. Didn't issue me a new boarding pass, just wrote my new assignment on my old one.

Looked online after, and the online record reflected my new F seat assignment, but I never "upgraded" in the sense that I remained in G rather than R, and I never showed up on the cleared list.

Just an example of what I'm sure are a million instances in which the upgrade list doesn't quite get it right.
Sounds like the GA was a bit lazy on that one.

Originally Posted by Beerman92
Beerwoman had a situation on a ps flight where I requested an UG with an RPU at booking for her. It waitlisted. It continued to show waitlisted as time passed. I got an automated phone call from United at T-24 saying the upgrade was not cleared but she would automatically be transferred to the upgrade standby list (or whatever it is called). When she OLCI the boarding documents showed she was waitlisted for the UG. I checked the mobile app and she was not on the waitlist. I called United and the agent said she was on the list and would show up at the airport. At the airport she asked the GA and was told she couldn't upgrade the flight any way other than cash.

While I wouldn't single out a "list" as being the biggest liar in the series of events described there was a whole lot of "lying" going on by both humans and computers working for United.

FWIW in January I was #2 on the UG list on a flight out of LGA and just boarded with my group. GA came on and got me to move me up shortly after I boarded.
Note my terminology. Upgraded list. Not the upgrade list.

In other words, the left hand side, not the right hand side. (I do note the example above re: the phantom upgrade).

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 20, 2013 at 1:04 pm Reason: merge
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by gailwynand
I have t. The subject line is, "Elite Upgrade Notification" for the free domestic ones...
Old Mar 20, 2013, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gailwynand
Think I've received ~2 in the past year (out of dozens of clearances)
Old Mar 20, 2013, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA PP/Marriott Platinum Elite/Hyatt Diamond/Avis Preferred/Hertz Presidential
Are only old CO Onepass folks getting emails? I have never gotten one since merger. No txt or email.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Are only old CO Onepass folks getting emails? I have never gotten one since merger. No txt or email.
Check your settings.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 1:30 pm

I'm legacy sUA and I have gotten one such email, but then again, I've only been upgraded by an automated process on sCO equipment once in the last ~14 months, so I guess you could say that's a 100% delivery success rate on a pathetic experience overall.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA PP/Marriott Platinum Elite/Hyatt Diamond/Avis Preferred/Hertz Presidential
Originally Posted by aacharya
Check your settings.
Got it, thanks. I see in my prefs I didn't have that's selected and now I do. Let's see if it works on Friday.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by mitchmu
The biggest issue with the sCO UG processing methodology is that they are far less likely than sUA was to process a UG request in advance because they are more focused on keeping those seats open then selling them at a discount to anyone who will take them. Then there is what appears to be a very manual and inconsistent process for clearing pax on the waitlist in the 20 minutes or so before departure. In my recent experience with this process, my companion was not given an upgrade when she was supposed to have been given one. I only discovered this because I confronted the gate agent when I saw that my companion was still languishing as #1 on the wait list while 1 seat remained open, just a few minutes before door closing. The gate agent told me that she told the other gate agent to upgrade my companion, but that "he forgot" to do it. In 800,000 miles over 10 years with sUA, I never once experienced such unprofessional nonsense. So, I don't know the answer to your question about "passing over" people but I do know that this sCO methodology produces outcomes that are far less desirable than what I experienced under sUA.
if everyone is so well trained to expect guaranteed upgrades since F is always empty and instantly confirmable weeks befor departure (like those AA folks claim) who would ever buy F ?
Old Mar 20, 2013, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I get the upgrade emails. Well, I surely don't get as many of them as I used to because lately I seem to finish between #5-10 on the list! Welcome to COdbaUA.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 2:20 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B329 Safari/8536.25)

My upgrade emails (on the rare occasion this lowly 1K actually gets them) are hit or miss. Sometimes I'll get a notification and sometimes I won't
Old Mar 20, 2013, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by demkr
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B329 Safari/8536.25)

My upgrade emails (on the rare occasion this lowly 1K actually gets them) are hit or miss. Sometimes I'll get a notification and sometimes I won't
Same here. The flight delay email system seems to work though as I am regularly getting those
Old Mar 20, 2013, 2:39 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Looked online after, and the online record reflected my new F seat assignment, but I never "upgraded" in the sense that I remained in G rather than R, and I never showed up on the cleared list.
If it was a CPU, then it would show as "ZG" instead of "R"
Old Mar 20, 2013, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
If it was a CPU, then it would show as "ZG" instead of "R"
Depends on where you look.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
The one thing I miss from old pmUA was the txt message confirming upgrade. "Upgrade Confirmed" was my favorite txt anytime of the day. Why doesn't COdbaUA do that?
I still get these messages.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.