Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United SYD/MEL Flight Delays or Cancellations" Thread [2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "United SYD/MEL Flight Delays or Cancellations" Thread [2013]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2013, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by aacharya
Quote:

Originally Posted by n9536j

No ORC if you get credit on another airline.

That's blatantly untrue. There's likely no ORC for routing within *A, but there is absolutely ORC possible for "another airline" in general.
You can get ORC when rebooked on *A but that is instead of the new routing miles.

For example, Dec. 2011 was flying CVG-ORD-EWR and return, partly because this was going to bring me to exactly 60 segments and 1P for the first time. CVG-ORD ended up canceling (or severely delayed, can't remember), and I got rebooked on the direct CO flight. Got the credit for the original instead so I could claim
Gold.

Also had something similar happen last year, but destination was YYZ and other *A carrier was AC.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by kranabargar
UA 839 LAX to SYD cancelled yet again last night. Don't know the details, but how much you want to bet it was Maint? (again)...
So Fri Aug 10 839 LAX-SYD cnx
= Sun Aug 11 840 SYD-LAX cnx

two of the busiest days of the week for Trans Pac flights.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 1:24 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by IAD22066
Would there be any benefit complaining?
Complaining that you didn't get a CPU on a GF route? Yeah, good luck with that...

And before you say anything about them building up your hopes and then squashing them, how did you know that it was your name up there? Surely there could have been someone else with the same 3/1 letters, no?
Old Aug 11, 2013, 9:19 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
I know that even on full F tickets, that UA agents are still trained to refuse to put you on other carriers, I've had it happen.
You can just refund it or better yet, in this day and age you can take your UA ticket to almost any other carrier and they can yank it right out of UA's system.
UA did not refuse; the agent was perfectly OK with it on full fare Biz.
Now to wait for the AA miles and UA miles ...

Last edited by ffI; Aug 11, 2013 at 7:01 pm
Old Aug 11, 2013, 11:30 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by kranabargar
UA 839 LAX to SYD cancelled yet again last night. Don't know the details, but how much you want to bet it was Maint? (again)...
And just to show it's not just UA, QF12 LAX to SYD was cancelled the same night after 2 aborted takeoffs.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 4:39 am

A third UAL aeroplane departed SYD on Tuesday Aug 13 as UA6873 flying overhead at 16.25

I am not sure where the third aeroplane materialised from because there were delays departing SYD on Monday Aug 12 due to severe winds at the aerodrome (causing all sorts of havoc around SYD) but both 840 & 870 departed about 90 minutes late.

Today Tuesday Aug 13 both 840 & 870 departed close enough to STD and then there was a third aeroplane a couple of hours later.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 6:32 pm

Looking for a little advice. I'm scheduled to fly PHX-SFO-SYD later this month. PHX-SFO is on US then a 4-hour layover and SFO-SYD on UA all in F on an award ticket.

With the reliability of the UA SYD flights being what they are, I'm wondering whether doing PHX-SFO-ICN-SYD with the SFO-ICN and ICN-SYD flights on OZ is a better idea.

Thoughts?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:46 am

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Gold, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Pi7473000
It is too bad United couldnt take care of the issues sooner! The PDX united club people are great! One lady worked with uniited long before the merger and always helps me out if there is an issue, and then we can talk about the way United used to be to its customers before it became continentalized!
Right.

United NEVER had these problems with this route before the merger. It's all Continental's fault.

I don't know why I take such a perverse pleasure in reading about these particular flights to Australia. Partly it's because it's so completely ludicrous--successive cancellations piling up, hundreds (thousands?) of distress passengers at once, creaky 747s "limping across the Pacific" as someone aptly put it--it's like it's an alternate reality. Or a nightmare.

Or perhaps it's because I flew this route way back in 2008 and survived unscathed, not knowing until after my return how lucky I was. Just the usual UA ignoring my seat requests and putting me in a middle seat, etc.

It's just such an extreme example of the problems with commercial air travel. It's been going on so long I think we can safely say it has achieved legendary status.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:11 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Originally Posted by hotturnip

Or perhaps it's because I flew this route way back in 2008 and survived unscathed, not knowing until after my return how lucky I was. Just the usual UA ignoring my seat requests and putting me in a middle seat, etc.

I'm on the Syd->USA route on UA for 14-20 segments per year every year
I've had a single cancelation over the last 50 segments for TPAC flights
(Someone drove a truck into the side of the plane... not UA's fault...)
Never missed a connection due to delay on the route either

I've tried buying lotto tickets but never win... so it cant be my luck
Old Aug 14, 2013, 5:22 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 3 MM, Velocity Gold, IHG Rewards, Hilton HHonors Diamond
I fly SFO-SYD-MEL 3 times a year & have been doing so since 1994. Never had one cancellation.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:15 am

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bwiflyer01
Looking for a little advice. I'm scheduled to fly PHX-SFO-SYD later this month. PHX-SFO is on US then a 4-hour layover and SFO-SYD on UA all in F on an award ticket.

With the reliability of the UA SYD flights being what they are, I'm wondering whether doing PHX-SFO-ICN-SYD with the SFO-ICN and ICN-SYD flights on OZ is a better idea.
ICN sounds like a terrible idea. 23h SFO-SYD instead of 14h. If you're already ticketed in F, I'd keep that.

I've flown SYD-SFO a few times a year for the last 5 years. Never had a cancellation. Sometimes a late departure, but always on time or early arrivals.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:51 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Originally Posted by hotturnip
Quote:

United NEVER had these problems with this route before the merger. It's all Continental's fault.

I .
And yet these are sUA metal that they never took care of in the first place!!
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:57 pm

Programs: UAL 1K/1MM, Go Zags!
I've flown SFO-SYD RT twice per year for the last eight years and experienced multiple delays and two cancellations due to mechanical, one in SYD and the other in SFO. So 2 cancellations out of 32 legs; 6%.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by bwiflyer01

Thoughts?
Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
ICN sounds like a terrible idea. 23h SFO-SYD instead of 14h. If you're already ticketed in F, I'd keep that.

I've flown SYD-SFO a few times a year for the last 5 years. Never had a cancellation. Sometimes a late departure, but always on time or early arrivals.
totally agree with flyerbjorn.... add in transit time for you flight via Asia and you could be looking at and extra twelve hours over flying non-stop. plus OZ has the old angled bed biz class product on the syd flight (unless it's changed recently). another reason to stay away.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by river_rower
I've flown SFO-SYD RT twice per year for the last eight years and experienced multiple delays and two cancellations due to mechanical, one in SYD and the other in SFO. So 2 cancellations out of 32 legs; 6%.
I've done 4 returns SYD-SFO / LAX in the last 12 months.

One cancellation ( mechanical) and a couple of signifigant delays - ie 4 hours on two occasions though last one was due to fuel stop in Fiji because of fog in SYD and BNE - so can't blame UA for that.

I am very careful now with connection time on the west coast after arrival from SYD. I insist on there being at least 3 hours to avoid a miss.

I also agree with an early poster re the relatively poor soft product in transpac J - just not comparable to QF or Virgin. Can't comment on AC or DL as never flown them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.