Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade chances out of Edinburgh (EDI)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UAL 1K MM
Upgrade chances out of Edinburgh (EDI)

I'll be in Scotland in June and could fly back to the US from Edinburgh but I'm wondering about my chances of getting an upgrade (either GPU or miles). No surprise but there's nothing open right now so I'd be waitlisted.

So here's the question - Should I fly out of EDI on a 757 with fewer seats but potentially less competition or add another leg and fly through LHR to get on a 767 or 777 and increase (?) my upgrade chances?
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:27 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Our experience is more availability flying out of LHR. Important factors are day of the week, ie Tue or Wed, instrument you're using, Status, fare class.

I ONLY buy international when I can confirm UG at time of booking, or find a cheapo P or Z fare. I do have some flexibility in scheduling and I have SWUs (GPU) from 1K status.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Not sure it's worth burning the miles/GPU and then paying the premium passenger fee, personally.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

I'm sorry but are you saying it's not worth it to pay the higher cost of a "W" fare and then burn miles due to the length of the flight from LHR?
Old Mar 6, 2013, 1:16 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Remember there is an increased UK passenger duty charge that UA passes on to upgraders ex-LHR, so in addition to the SWU you have to shell out $100-$125 if you upgrade out of LHR. You could avoid that by flying via FRA but the schedules ex-EDI aren't that friendly, IIRC and require a very early morning departure

It is a daytime flight so sleep and the flat-bed isn't as critical... And you'll almost certainly have to transfer terminals at LHR, which can be a hassle
Old Mar 6, 2013, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hans
I'm sorry but are you saying it's not worth it to pay the higher cost of a "W" fare and then burn miles due to the length of the flight from LHR?
Plus the UK fees.

No.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
Remember there is an increased UK passenger duty charge that UA passes on to upgraders ex-LHR, so in addition to the SWU you have to shell out $100-$125 if you upgrade out of LHR.
Is this wrapped into your ticket or is it a new charge? I've just never seen it before included flying LHR-IAD last December. If it's UK wide, does that apply to EDI as well anyway?
Old Mar 6, 2013, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
Remember there is an increased UK passenger duty charge that UA passes on to upgraders ex-LHR, so in addition to the SWU you have to shell out $100-$125 if you upgrade out of LHR. You could avoid that by flying via FRA but the schedules ex-EDI aren't that friendly, IIRC and require a very early morning departure

It is a daytime flight so sleep and the flat-bed isn't as critical... And you'll almost certainly have to transfer terminals at LHR, which can be a hassle
When we flew IAH-LHR-EDI, changing terminals at LHR was a HUGE (cannot be understated how huge) hassle. I would avoid this like the plague!
Old Mar 6, 2013, 1:31 pm

Is this wrapped into your ticket or is it a new charge? I've just never seen it before included flying LHR-IAD last December. If it's UK wide, does that apply to EDI as well anyway?
It is an additional charge that is assessed by UA when you go to upgrade a flight departing LHR

I've heard reports of folks who requested the GPU upgrade via phone and were not charged, but it is official policy now (prior to the merger, s-UA did not collect this fee, but s-CO did)... I requested my GPU upgrade online and was most certainly charged
Old Mar 6, 2013, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wrapped in the ticket if you buy J upfront, but if you upgrade, UA asks for that fee during the request for the upgrade process.

I would imagine Scotland, for all its independence, is more than happy to collect a fee for her Majesty.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA GS, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors Gold
Depends...

As far as the upgrade is concerned, I have had no difficulty confirming out of LHR mid/late week (never Fri) even at the last minute using SWUs. The $100 fee is a pain but if I need to sleep on the way home it's key.

Have you also looked at the service from GLA or BFS? I'm pretty sure there's still service from both to EWR and that may be an easier upgrade option.

Connecting EDI-LHR is easy: both flights are out of Terminal 1.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Setting aside the APD and assuming it will be collecting in either LHR or EDI, any more reaction to upgrade chances out of Heathrow compared to Edinburgh?
Old Mar 6, 2013, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Cuchulainn
As far as the upgrade is concerned, I have had no difficulty confirming out of LHR mid/late week (never Fri) even at the last minute using SWUs. The $100 fee is a pain but if I need to sleep on the way home it's key.

Have you also looked at the service from GLA or BFS? I'm pretty sure there's still service from both to EWR and that may be an easier upgrade option.

Connecting EDI-LHR is easy: both flights are out of Terminal 1.
GLA and BFS would still be 757s though -- if you're going to bother with a connecting flight, might as well get a widebody at LHR, IMO

And note that the s-CO flights ex-LHR still operate out of T4....

Setting aside the APD and assuming it will be collecting in either LHR or EDI, any more reaction to upgrade chances out of Heathrow compared to Edinburgh?
The chances vary depending on which LHR flight(s) you'd be trying to get on

Just based on frequency and aircraft type, you might rank the LHR upgrade chances something like this
IAH/IAD/ORD>EWR>LAX>SFO

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 6, 2013 at 3:34 pm Reason: merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.