Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Can you standby 2 days prior to scheduled date and pay only change fee?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2013, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Plat, Marriott Plat

I need to change the return leg of a round trip to leave two days before the schduled departure date. The online quote is a significant amount plus change fee. Can you go standby on the return leg for just the change fee?
Old Mar 4, 2013, 5:37 pm

No. SDC is only 24 hours. You can either wait for 24 hours before schedule - or pay the change fee.

If your trip hasn't started at all, you will need to not only pay the change fee but also have the trip re-priced. If you about to depart from your origin yet need to change your return date to two days earlier, the best thing is likely to change it after you have used the first coupon of your ticket. Such a change would only require the change fee, assuming that space is available in the required class on your desired travel day. (A good travel agent will make the changes for you while you are airborn on your first segment.)
Old Mar 4, 2013, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Indelaware
If your trip hasn't started at all, you will need to not only pay the change fee but also have the trip re-priced.
OP said return leg...
Old Mar 4, 2013, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Antipode
OP said return leg...
Yes, but it was unclear if OP had already departed on his outbound leg. Changing the return leg is different after first coupon used than before the first coupon has been used.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Indelaware
Yes, but it was unclear if OP had already departed on his outbound leg. Changing the return leg is different after first coupon used than before the first coupon has been used.
Yes outbound has already been used.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 9:48 pm
V9

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Marriott Pltm, Hyatt Diamond, spg Pltm
Originally Posted by Ethicist
I need to change the return leg of a round trip to leave two days before the schduled departure date. The online quote is a significant amount plus change fee. Can you go standby on the return leg for just the change fee?
You don't have to STANDBY. If you pay the change fee and the same class of service is available, you can CONFIRM the change. If the class is not available, then it means you would also have to pay the fare difference (could be a significant amount) in addition to the change fee.

Usually, "standby" is a condition used in the day of departure, and specially at the airport. Otherwise it's called "waitlist", in oppose to "confirm". So you cannot "standby" for a flight two days ahead. They may put you in "waitlist", meaning once the class of service is available, they will either let you know, or automatically confirm you. Of course you can try to go to the airport two days ahead, to "standby". But I have been told many times by UA agents that they would still treat it as a change of the reservation, that is, they have to confirm you, not standby you.

Last edited by V9; Mar 4, 2013 at 9:56 pm
Old Mar 5, 2013, 1:18 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Of course any minimum stay and seasonality/day of week restrictions no longer met would incur a reprice.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks to all

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.