Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Price Changed - How To Get Refund?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2013, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Price Changed - How To Get Refund?

I booked a ticket a couple weeks ago and now I see the price is cheaper. Can I get a refund for the difference

I'm not a mileageplus member but don't know where else to post this

Thanks
Old Mar 3, 2013, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Was your ticket refundable? If not, there is a change fee (fee amounts depends on ticket type). Most domestic tickets carry a $150 fee. Will the new price offset the potential change fee?
Old Mar 3, 2013, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum
You can cancel your ticket and rebook, which would incur a $150 change fee. So if the difference in price is more than $150 (per person), then it's worth it.

Note that if your itin includes partner segments this may not be true.

This is one of the biggest things I miss from my days of flying JetBlue everywhere - B6 would refund you the difference for free!
Old Mar 3, 2013, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K-MM
Originally Posted by IADOrange
This is one of the biggest things I miss from my days of flying JetBlue everywhere - B6 would refund you the difference for free!
Not too many years ago, United would too, if you knew enough to ask. Alas, those days are no more.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 4:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by IADOrange
... This is one of the biggest things I miss from my days of flying JetBlue everywhere - B6 would refund you the difference for free!
PMUA (3 years ago) also did for free but the creation of YPATA-like tools killed that.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 4:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - A few questions:

1. Take a look at the fare conditions. Is there a change or cancellation fee and if so, how much?

2. How much of a savings is the new fare?

As a general matter, presuming that you bought a discounted ticket, you will receive a credit for the fare you paid and be required to pay the change fee in "new" cash. That will leave you a credit equal to the fare diffrential.

This is rarely worth it.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K
There used to be a rule about re-faring in the event of a price change, where you would get a refund or credit for the fare difference between what you paid and the current price if you paid a $50 processing fee. I'm not sure if this policy still exists.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, TG Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
30days price guarantee with $50.00 service fee
Old Mar 3, 2013, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies

My ticket says
NONREF/0VALUEAFTDPT/CHGFEE
Cancel reservations before the scheduled departure time or TICKET HAS NO VALUE.

I called them but the CS I got wasn't sure of anything, kept putting me onhold to ask. Said I can only get a e certificate. I won't be flying again anytime soon, so can I sell this on eBay, if not its useless to me

Thanks
Old Mar 3, 2013, 6:46 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
You can get an e-cert good for 1 year from date of issue. But you will also have to pay the $150 change fee upfront to get that e-cert--so even if the fare has dropped by more than $150, you still have to front UA $150. Say, the fare has fallen $200; you will get a $200 e-cert but will still have to pay $150 in new money (not out of the fare difference).
Old Mar 3, 2013, 7:12 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
In other words...kiss your money goodbye...
Old Mar 4, 2013, 7:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
.This means that your original ticket is discounted & restricted. Whatever you do get will be in the form of a credit, not cash. You must use that within a year. If you have no plans to fly again, it's not worth doing.

You can't sell the certificate on eBay or anywhere else because it's only useable by you for travel in your name.

Don't be upset, this is the tradeoff between paying more for the expensive & flexible ticket upfront and buying the cheap ticket upfront

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.