Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA 901 No Longer FRA-SFO as of 6-Jun-2013 - and other flight number issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2013, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.

Apparently UA is re-assigning that number to SFO-LHR starting June 6, 2013.

I am wondering if perhaps anybody has any insight as to the reason.

Thanks.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
No insight. But I know there is an existing thread on this this. It may uncover perspective.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indeed. And the outbound UA 900 since its inception some 20 (?) years ago, is gone as well. Other long-term UA overseas flights also got unfamiliar flight numbers. Baffling to me .... What't the point?
Old Mar 1, 2013, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Originally Posted by zrs70
No insight. But I know there is an existing thread on this this. It may uncover perspective.
I did do a search for "UA 901" but it didn't result in anything. I will search again. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by janehoya
I did do a search for "UA 901" but it didn't result in anything. I will search again. Thanks for the heads-up.
I couldn't search before because I was on my handheld.

That said, it's not all that intuitive in a search. It's burried in here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-2013-a-6.html
Old Mar 1, 2013, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zrs70
I couldn't search before because I was on my handheld.

That said, it's not all that intuitive in a search. It's burried in here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-2013-a-6.html
Thank you. I just read through it. UA 901/900 were mentioned in two posts and I agree with SFO 1K's assessment of UA's decision.

Mods, would you please close this thread? Thank you.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
WOW!!!!

I have been doing the 900/901 for about 15 years, often 8-10 RT's a year. Mostly going on to other places such as BLR. 900 and 901 are probably the most widely known and recognized international flight numbers UA has ever had. (aside from the old UA1 that went to Hawaii I think). It this another attempt my Smisek to wash away the UA past. Reminds me of when Carly Fiorina did away with the Hewlett-Packard name for branding purposes and only used HP. She said she wanted to get rid of old ways. She did. She killed one of the best companies the country has ever known. Hmmm. Sounds just like Smisek.

Oh, and what is worse is that they got the 900/901 backwards!!!! SFO-LHR is 901. Return is 900. Just weird.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blueman2
I have been doing the 900/901 for about 15 years, often 8-10 RT's a year. Mostly going on to other places such as BLR. 900 and 901 are probably the most widely known and recognized international flight numbers UA has ever had. (aside from the old UA1 that went to Hawaii I think). It this another attempt my Smisek to wash away the UA past. Reminds me of when Carly Fiorina did away with the Hewlett-Packard name for branding purposes and only used HP. She said she wanted to get rid of old ways. She did. She killed one of the best companies the country has ever known. Hmmm. Sounds just like Smisek.

Oh, and what is worse is that they got the 900/901 backwards!!!! SFO-LHR is 901. Return is 900. Just weird.
Couldn't agree with you more, Blueman!
Old Mar 1, 2013, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
?...It this another attempt my Smisek to wash away the UA past....Sounds just like Smisek....
Oh, come on. You really think he's sitting in his office telling people to change the flight number 901? This supposition is just dumb.

I'm gonna switch airlines because they changed the flight numbers after 15 years and I won't be able to function any more. Get a grip, people.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Mar 1, 2013 at 10:23 pm
Old Mar 1, 2013, 10:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G

Your Smisek?? You should be sanctioned for developing WMDs

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Oh, come on. You really think he's sitting in his office telling people to change the flight number 901? This supposition is just dumb.
Are you saying low-level UA employees conspired to change things for the worse without letting the management know?
Old Mar 1, 2013, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
UA has ever had. (aside from the old UA1 that went to Hawaii I think). It this another attempt my Smisek to wash away the UA past. Reminds me of when Carly Fiorina did away with the Hewlett-Packard name for branding purposes and only used HP. She said she wanted to get rid of old ways. She did. She killed one of the best companies the country has ever known. Hmmm. Sounds just like Smisek.
Gimme a break. It's just a flight number. There are plenty enough devaluations that are actually worth complaining about compared to this.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 10:38 pm

^^^
Old Mar 1, 2013, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
And all of the old CO flight numbers are gone as well. Is this Smisek's attempt to wash away the history of CO?

No more flight 1776 to PHL... 1492 to CMH... 500 to IND... 777 to LAS.

Oh... the horror?
Old Mar 1, 2013, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by burlax
...Are you saying low-level UA employees conspired to change things for the worse without letting the management know?
I doubt Smisek called a meeting to discuss the flight numbers assigned to SFO-FRA.

And I'm sure the change in flight numbers will lead to utter confusion and eventual bankruptcy.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
And I'm sure the change in flight numbers will lead to utter confusion and eventual bankruptcy.
Well, at least the strategy is consistent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.