Wiki Posts
Search

How to force a connection through ZRH?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:56 am
Original Poster

How to force a connection through ZRH?

Dear gurus,

I can make the following booking for three tickets on United.com using saver miles, but would like to connect through ZRH and avoid LHR, and thus pay lower taxes. Legging it on United.com doesn't work. What recourse do I have? Will I have to call in and pay the booking fees to make it work?

YYZ-LHR-SIN-CMB (Destination and OJ)
REP-ICN-YYZ (SO and OJ)
YYZ-MBJ

Thanks
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by bandana1948
Dear gurus,

I can make the following booking for three tickets on United.com using saver miles, but would like to connect through ZRH and avoid LHR, and thus pay lower taxes. Legging it on United.com doesn't work. What recourse do I have? Will I have to call in and pay the booking fees to make it work?

YYZ-LHR-SIN-CMB (Destination and OJ)
REP-ICN-YYZ (SO and OJ)
YYZ-MBJ

Thanks
What happens when you try booking it as a multicity online?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mre5765
What happens when you try booking it as a multicity online?
It gives the standard error message when I use the multiple destinations option:

: "We were not able to find any available flights for award travel meeting your requirements. You may modify your search criteria or review the MileagePlus Travel Award Rules. If you need additional assistance, call 1-800-UNITED-1 (1-800-864-8331) within the U.S. or Canada; elsewhere contact your local United Reservations Office."

Even trying to do a one-way (YYZ-ZRH-SIN) generates this error.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:03 am

Programs: UA G
YYZ-ZRH-SIN one-way doesn't contain any UA-operated flights, so UA won't sell you the ticket.

Unless you're trying to FD, you'll probably have to call and book it or use an OTA.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:09 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by unavaca
YYZ-ZRH-SIN one-way doesn't contain any UA-operated flights, so UA won't sell you the ticket.

Unless you're trying to FD, you'll probably have to call and book it or use an OTA.
The question is about booking an award ticket, not a revenue ticket. UA award tickets can contain zero UA segments.

I also don't think it's totally true that UA will refuse to sell you a ticket online on a flight with no UA-operated segments. A couple of months ago I went to united.com, typed in "from: IST", "to: LHR", and bought a one way ticket on a nonstop TK flight (TK flight number and operator, 016 plated ticket). This was the cheapest possible way to buy this ticket -- every other OTA and TK's own Web site added a tens-of-dollars booking fee.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:12 am
Original Poster

I am booking with miles - and am able to book YYZ-LHR-SIN-CMB or YYZ-LHR-IST-CMB on United.com even though none of these segments are on UA metal.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:17 am

Programs: UA G
Oy, I'm an idiot. I missed the important phrase "saver miles". Nevermind me.

When you search segment by segment, is there availability all the way?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:17 am

Programs: SPG Plat
You should call and book and explain you have had zero success booking it on-line thus they shouldn't charge you a booking fee.

Did this many times with wife's silver account and no big deal at all.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Oy, I'm an idiot. I missed the important phrase "saver miles". Nevermind me.

When you search segment by segment, is there availability all the way?
KVStool confirms availability

Originally Posted by AZjohns
You should call and book and explain you have had zero success booking it on-line thus they shouldn't charge you a booking fee.

Did this many times with wife's silver account and no big deal at all.
Doubt this would work. For one, I have no status. Secondly, I called twice before to get an agent to do some other routing, and suggested they waive the fee. They refused. Finally, most agents are unfamiliar with the booking rules, and are stumped when I try to add the final YYZ-MBJ, insisting that it is not a valid routing.

The long and short of it is that calling may not help, unless I actually get a United agent who is familiar with their own rules. They are a rare breed, and my only possible recourse appears to be forcing united.com to accept a perfectly legitimate routing.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 26, 2013 at 11:40 am Reason: merge
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:30 am
Suspended

OP since you havent posted the dates you are looking to fly , no one can check anything

when you put in YYZ-ZRH did you see Saver being offered? what was offered when you then checked ZRH-SIN

Update just read you said KVS shows its there, I dont use KVS but when it shows it does that mean its available to UA as well? at times space can be there but only for a Miles & More member using those miles

Try putting in each segment to see if UA has it available if you dont see it pop up on each segment then Id say its Not being made available to UA
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craz
OP since you havent posted the dates you are looking to fly , no one can check anything

when you put in YYZ-ZRH did you see Saver being offered? what was offered when you then checked ZRH-SIN

Update just read you said KVS shows its there, I dont use KVS but when it shows it does that mean its available to UA as well? at times space can be there but only for a Miles & More member using those miles

Try putting in each segment to see if UA has it available if you dont see it pop up on each segment then Id say its Not being made available to UA
United.com shows plenty of Y saver for YYZ-ZRH-SIN-CMB departing Nov 15 2013 as long as I do it segment by segment. Here is what I got.

Nov 15 - 0830 - YYZ-ZRH (AC 878 - arrive Nov. 16 at 1025)
Nov 16 - 1045 ZRH - SIN (SQ 345 - arrive Nov 17 at 0600) There is also a later flight LX178 on the same day with award seat availability.
Nov 17 - 2305 SIN - CMB (SQ 468)
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
If you call and say the website gave you an error the agent will sometimes waive the phone booking fee.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
my suggestion is book as much as you are able then call in and get the remaining segments added. i did this recently on an award ticket and it was pretty painless.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bandana1948
United.com shows plenty of Y saver for YYZ-ZRH-SIN-CMB departing Nov 15 2013 as long as I do it segment by segment. Here is what I got.

Nov 15 - 0830 - YYZ-ZRH (AC 878 - arrive Nov. 16 at 1025)
Nov 16 - 1045 ZRH - SIN (SQ 345 - arrive Nov 17 at 0600) There is also a later flight LX178 on the same day with award seat availability.
Nov 17 - 2305 SIN - CMB (SQ 468)
I have no idea what you did unless you chose the 10:45am flight on 11/16, the AC flight arrives into ZRH @ 10:25am you cant have a connection 20 mins later

I was able to get it all its 40k and $89.10 in Y Saver Biz not avaialble ZRH-SIN non-stop and is a mixed cabin with a stop

YYZ-ZRH 11/15 AC 878

ZRH-SIN 11/16 LX 178

SIN-CMB 11/17 SQ 468

I chose "Multi-Destinations" to work it all out , you shouldnt have to call to get this
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:30 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by craz
YYZ-ZRH 11/15 AC 878

ZRH-SIN 11/16 LX 178

SIN-CMB 11/17 SQ 468

I chose "Multi-Destinations" to work it all out , you shouldnt have to call to get this
Bam! there you go
Good job craz ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.