Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

A first visit to a lounge-what should I know.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2013, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
So while at DFW I have to ask for a reboot every other time I visit (and that only get it working again SLOWLY), they told me that an upgrade is coming
An agent told me over the holidays that a contractor came in and was shocked that they only had 4 access points or something like that. They were going to bump it up to at least 12 or 14 I think.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by alex_b
Yes having grown up in the UK where most flights are international, conference/business centres sprung up around the airports because it was impossible to get airside. In the US until the late 90s I guess it made sense to have them in the airports as security was fairly relaxed. I guess even once they stopped being business centres, there were still a large enough segment of the traveling public and/or companies willing to pay for annual membership.

I'm still amazed people buy day passes for $50, it seems like a colossal waste of money to me.
Many of us still use them for business centers in the US since it's easy with planning to get get a pass threw security. But where i do agree is 50 bucks to use one, in most cases crazy.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM, HHonors Diamond
Can you remember the cost for the top shelf stuff and if there's anything worth paying for? I know there's a thread on the premium wines somewhere, but I don't think I've ever noticed a list of types or prices for premium spirits.
Top shelf wines sell for $10 & $12 depending on offering. You get a $3 discount if you pay with either United Mileage Plus or Presidential Plus Credit Card.

The pour is a decent 6oz, usually measured in a small carafe and the stemware is superior to the free wine offering. Selection of wines is fairly decent though they toned down the quality of offerings since the inception. A couple of years back for instance you could get Far Niente Chardonnay or Veuve Cliquot for $9 with the discount. Now the bubbles is Moet.

All things considered still a good buy compared to hotel/restaurant bar pricing.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 3:53 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by sgfood
Top shelf wines sell for $10 & $12 depending on offering. You get a $3 discount if you pay with either United Mileage Plus or Presidential Plus Credit Card.

The pour is a decent 6oz, usually measured in a small carafe and the stemware is superior to the free wine offering. Selection of wines is fairly decent though they toned down the quality of offerings since the inception. A couple of years back for instance you could get Far Niente Chardonnay or Veuve Cliquot for $9 with the discount. Now the bubbles is Moet.

All things considered still a good buy compared to hotel/restaurant bar pricing.
Unless you're flying in international C or F- the dragon will hand you two drink chits at reception for complimentary imported beer, premium wine or cocktails. The IFL's (JFK, ORD, IAD, LAX, and SFO) feature a self-serve bar with a decent selection of mid-shelf spirits (e.g. SKYY Vodka and Beefeater Gin) and the same premium wines on offer in the UC.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Please prominently display your "I am a CC kettle" sign at all time when in the lounge, so that premium passengers can treat you with the proper disdain. Also, don't forget to salute GSers---you will recognize them by the flecks of gold in their aura.

(Enjoy yourself. It beats waiting for hours at the gate. Usually.)
Old Feb 25, 2013, 4:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Mileage Plus in America and Qantas down under
Multiple points to know:

1. Make sure others know your club entry was due to your credit card - watch carefully and you'll see some DYKWIA heads explode.

2. Talk loudly on your mobile phone while walking around and checking out the club - watch carefully and you'll see more DYKWIA heads explode.

3. Grab snacks straightaway using fingers - they are finger food after all - again, watch carefully and you'll see more DYKWIA heads explode.

4. While on cell phone - make sure your overheard telling whomever that you are also in first class because of the credit card, and again watch carefully and you'll see even more DYKWIA heads explode.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 4:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
A bit OT, but I can't stand that IST uses little snippets of paper that have WiFi info on them. What a waste. Have it printed on scattered boards throughout the lounge, or even just at one point where lounge guests can see it but not (necessarily) curious passers-by/those who know they aren't allowed in but try anyway.
NZ do this in the Koru lounges and I've seen it elsewhere too. From memory, both TK and NZ change the passwords less than once a year. Personally I can't see the point unless there is seating right outside the lounge.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by thomwithanh
Unless you're flying in international C or F- the dragon will hand you two drink chits at reception for complimentary imported beer, premium wine or cocktails.
Which lounge is that? I've never been offered chits by the dragons...
Old Feb 25, 2013, 5:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
NZ do this in the Koru lounges and I've seen it elsewhere too. From memory, both TK and NZ change the passwords less than once a year. Personally I can't see the point unless there is seating right outside the lounge.
The old NW WCs usednto post an easy to remember password about airlines that tended to change every few days or once a week.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 5:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rpcbind
Is that a pmCO or pmUA thing. I've never had drink chits that I can remember, although my recent evening C experiences have been out of EWR.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 5:50 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by rpcbind
EWR (C120, IIRC) though it was a few years ago before the merger so maybe things have changed since then. I've also heard on one of the blogs more recently about premium passengers needing to ask for them (maybe Matthew can weigh in on this....)

I showed by BF boarding pass at reception and the Dragon gave me two drink chits which I then promptly redeemed for a delicious Malbec. Similar experience at the PHL A US Club flying Envoy (although there you show your boarding pass to the bartender to get your premium wine/ cocktails.)

Yes having grown up in the UK where most flights are international, conference/business centres sprung up around the airports because it was impossible to get airside. In the US until the late 90s I guess it made sense to have them in the airports as security was fairly relaxed. I guess even once they stopped being business centres, there were still a large enough segment of the traveling public and/or companies willing to pay for annual membership.

I'm still amazed people buy day passes for $50, it seems like a colossal waste of money to me.
I remember flying out of Marseilles France (MRS) years ago and seeing a sign right outside security for "Salon d'affaires" (business lounge). Thinking it was an airline lounge, I took a peek inside - nothing more than a few computer workstations that could be rented for something like €1 a minute, fax machines, etc...

Last edited by thomwithanh; Feb 25, 2013 at 6:00 pm Reason: comment
Old Feb 25, 2013, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
The horrible Copper Ridge is gone, at least in the Denver clubs. In HNL, you can enjoy a Longboard for free, plus a great view.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 6:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

Does HNL still use Papa Nicolas coffee or has that club been Freshpoo'd?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 6:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
If you have a buck or 2 in your hand, you'll get served alot faster at the bar. Dont eat the carrots, they taste like they have a 500 year half-life. People on cell phones talk even louder in the club so they can impress you how important they are...etc
Old Feb 25, 2013, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by chasbondy
If you have a buck or 2 in your hand, you'll get served alot faster at the bar. Dont eat the carrots, they taste like they have a 500 year half-life. People on cell phones talk even louder in the club so they can impress you how important they are...etc
I call BS on the cellphone comment. A loud talker is a loud talker, regardless of location. If your looking for a location to have a nap, the club isn't it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.