Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How many people do you see upgrade to E+ on board?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many people do you see upgrade to E+ on board?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2013, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Originally Posted by SunLover
UA seems loathe to put kettles in the exit rows unsolicited, and that is why many times seats 21B and 21E are the last filled.
SunLover
When all the E- seats are assigned, non-elite members will be assigned E+ or exit row seats sometimes. I was seated in an exit row aisle once and noticed that the person seated in the window seat was trying to pay for a food item with cash. E- was full on this transcon flight. I assume she was a non-elite assigned an exit row, although she could have paid for it, as most frequent flyers know that they stopped taking cash payments in flight several years ago.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
I used to see a lot of gate buy-ups with UA, but not since 3/3.

Maybe the new software can do it, but I understand that the native SHARES cannot (at least not easily), so it hasn't been common to solicit buy-ups at the gate.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3.01MM, Global Entry, RCC LIFETIME (pd $2k in '90)), HH GOLD, Pan Am Clipper Club Lifetime
At BUR the GA offers the buy-up to Economy Plus before boarding.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by glasnost7
Man, I love that tool and it updates practically in real-time. Most recently a deadheading FA and I had someone in the middle seat between us for a 5+ hour flight. I checked the app and saw that the pax should've been in 21B, not 21E. I politely mentioned it to the pax, who has happy to move. The FA was fairly grateful.

How did the folks in 21D and 21F feel about it?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 3:50 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold, AirBerlin Gold, Starwood Gold, Avis Preferred, CBP Global Entry
Originally Posted by drewguy
How did the folks in 21D and 21F feel about it?
What does it matter? Though I imagine they might've been displeased, that was her assigned seat. In actual fact, they were a couple who left the middle seat open between them (I recognized them from the outbound flight) and that's always a gamble.

(*FWIW, they were seated in 21 A&C.)
Old Feb 25, 2013, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Time traveller
When all the E- seats are assigned, non-elite members will be assigned E+ or exit row seats sometimes. I was seated in an exit row aisle once and noticed that the person seated in the window seat was trying to pay for a food item with cash. E- was full on this transcon flight. I assume she was a non-elite assigned an exit row, although she could have paid for it, as most frequent flyers know that they stopped taking cash payments in flight several years ago.
Is this true? IME it seems that GAs have been seating standby passengers from front to back (assuming no aisle/window seats are available), regardless of a seat being E+/-. I know this is totally anecdotal, but is there an official policy in place?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 3:59 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
What are the chances of *G getting an upgrade to E+ if E is full ?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Many UA GA's will give a *G an E+ seat if asked politely and when things aren't a madhouse. *G aren't entitled to it, so you just grin and bear it if they ask for a CC to pay for it.

Personally, it would be great if UA would commission their GA's and FA's to sell E+. Fewer games allowed and the employes have an incentive to follow the rules.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G
Originally Posted by drowelf
Same for me. Multiple RJ145 flights were the FA asked me by name if I would be willing and able to help with the evacuation in the event of a emergency.
I haven't seen an Express manifest, but on mainline, it doesn't list exit rows names. However, it does list all "1KS SEATED IN UNITED ECONOMY" by name, so that could be the source of the name data. Same for GS.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 6:31 pm

Programs: United, Hilton, Avis, & AMEX
I have on several occasions overheard passengers that were behind me while I was in exit row inquire about moving up and were kindly told no, those seats are reserved. There was never an offer to pay for the seat though.

-Nathan
Old Feb 25, 2013, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by glasnost7
What does it matter? Though I imagine they might've been displeased, that was her assigned seat. In actual fact, they were a couple who left the middle seat open between them (I recognized them from the outbound flight) and that's always a gamble.

(*FWIW, they were seated in 21 A&C.)
Because it's zero-sum, and the person could just as easily have been assigned to 21E instead of 21B. In other words, while you have the right to be entitled to the win on the coin flip it's really not upholding any principle beyond that.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold, VX Gold, AA PLT, DL Gold, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by CAL PHL FLYER
I agree,E+ has monetary value and I agree with the FA when they ask encroachers to pay or get back to the seat they were assigned!
^

As E+ is one of the few major benefits available to Silvers, this Silver is inclined to agree.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by alex_b
What do you mean by "high-end members", surely anyone who is an Elite would already have E+?
Don't have that answer. Interestingly, many who were asked declined the offer, probably because the sparsely filled plane left a lot of folks with entire rows to themselves. I'm guessing this was better than sharing an E+ row.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by SunLover
These days the FA's are requiring passengers sitting in an exit row to verbally confirm their understanding agreement to help out in case of emergency. So had the FA had look at a flight manifest they would have seen it clearly. UA seems loathe to put kettles in the exit rows unsolicited, and that is why many times seats 21B and 21E are the last filled.

SunLover
That is an FAA requirement on any carrier so I'm not sure your point. It was around LONG before they started charging for premium economy seats.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 1:22 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by dbaker
The manifest doesn't list exit row occupants or seat assignments in the non-premium cabins.
Not the case on international flights in my experience.

Originally Posted by grahampros
That is an FAA requirement on any carrier so I'm not sure your point. It was around LONG before they started charging for premium economy seats.
The individual verbal affirmation is relatively new.

I was in 21A recently and I had a senior citizen kettle assigned 21B at the last minute. When the flight attendant asked for her exit row verbal confirmation she said "don't look at me I am sitting between two strong gentleman." Wrong answer for sure...

SunLover

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.