Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How many people do you see upgrade to E+ on board?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many people do you see upgrade to E+ on board?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2013, 8:09 am

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by docbert
I've used the mobile website more than a few times to "suggest" to the person in the middle seat next to me that they might find it more comfortable in the aisle seat 2 rows back, which is free at the moment and will probably stay that way...

So far I'm about 3/4 for it working.
I actually went to the gate agent once... 21A was open, 21B full and 21C was me. I asked her if she could move 21B into A.. She gladly did it.

The 21B traveler had a large under seat bag, that he was concerned wouldnt fit into the space in 21A, but would in 21B.

So he had a good reason to sit in a middle.

My motivation was both selfish, I wanted more space, and also altruistic, since 21A cleared to F, 21B would benefit.

As expected, 21B stayed empty, he got his underseat space, and an empty middle.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:14 am

I've never seen anyone upgrade once on board, but I have seen FA's give the E+ seats away to high-end members after the doors closed, mostly to balance the load on smaller jets.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by canddmeyer
I've never seen anyone upgrade once on board, but I have seen FA's give the E+ seats away to high-end members after the doors closed, mostly to balance the load on smaller jets.
What do you mean by "high-end members", surely anyone who is an Elite would already have E+?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:37 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fivevsone
I actually went to the gate agent once... 21A was open, 21B full and 21C was me. I asked her if she could move 21B into A.. She gladly did it.

The 21B traveler had a large under seat bag, that he was concerned wouldnt fit into the space in 21A, but would in 21B.

So he had a good reason to sit in a middle.

My motivation was both selfish, I wanted more space, and also altruistic, since 21A cleared to F, 21B would benefit.

As expected, 21B stayed empty, he got his underseat space, and an empty middle.
Without even asking 21B? If I select a seat, I expect to get it.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:41 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
I've seen the opposite, people go invite themselves over and waive to their companions back in row 32 to come back up and no one ring the bell to tell the FA to charge them.
I also seen this a few times and even overheard a discussion after a intl flight where 2 girls were talking about E+ and "self upgrading"...
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
I have seen on few international flights pax paid onboard to change to E+ seats. On a EWR-MUC flight last month, I saw a pax gave the FA his credit card to pay for 3 E+ exit row seats @ I believe $150 each.

I have noticed exCO FAs are more aggressive in protecting E+ seats than exUA FAs. Good for them.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:51 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum Premier, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by dbaker
The manifest doesn't list exit row occupants or seat assignments in the non-premium cabins.
That's not true, I have been on several ERJ-145s sitting in the 12A the last few weeks and on more then occassion the FA notificied a person sitting in 12B/C that they had been assigned and would eithe rhave to pay for the seat upgrade or move to their assisgned seat.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:55 am

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
In the last year ive seen the FA use the credit card reader twice to charge passengers on the plane to sit in Economy Plus..On several more ocassions ive seen passengers sneak into E+ during the flight and the FA will ask if they want to pay to sit there,almost always they move back to E-..It is amusing to see some reactions when they are noticed suddenly sitting there..I agree,E+ has monetary value and I agree with the FA when they ask encroachers to pay or get back to the seat they were assigned!
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
It does happen. ORD-CDG, Mrs. PVDProf and I were in A,B in the E+ exit row on a 763. My SWU clears, so Mrs. PVDProf takes the lie-flat and I have an exit-row pair alone. After the door closes, a the FA brings a woman from the back and hands her back her credit card as she sits down next to me. "I just couldn't take it in the back [E-], so the ~$100 didn't seem like much." Although I was disappointed to lose the empty seat next to me, I just shrugged and said, "Yeah, I can't blame you."

Originally Posted by lax2010
I am thinking this is more like a (clever) way for the FA to tell passengers in the back NOT to move up. I don't believe they really expect people to buy up.
I think this is a tactful way to make this point.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by fkatzRTW
That's not true, I have been on several ERJ-145s sitting in the 12A the last few weeks and on more then occassion the FA notificied a person sitting in 12B/C that they had been assigned and would eithe rhave to pay for the seat upgrade or move to their assisgned seat.
Same for me. Multiple RJ145 flights were the FA asked me by name if I would be willing and able to help with the evacuation in the event of a emergency.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by drowelf
Same for me. Multiple RJ145 flights were the FA asked me by name if I would be willing and able to help with the evacuation in the event of a emergency.
They were prepared for the DYKWIA.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While E+ is technically not a different class of service, as a practical matter there's no difference between moving yourself from E- to E+ than there is to moving yourself to F (or C on a 3-class).

I'm just as happy that FA's are protecting the brand as they're supposed to.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 1:29 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold, AirBerlin Gold, Starwood Gold, Avis Preferred, CBP Global Entry
Originally Posted by COEWR2587
Has anyone seen people actually decide to upgrade once they are on the plane? Do the FA's or GA's make any comission on these last minute push for sell?
I have seen it happen once, after a would-be poacher of the middle seat next to me was sent scurrying back to E- with a reminder that this wasn't Southwest. Someone else came up to take the middle seat and handed over his AmEx Platinum for the fee.

Originally Posted by docbert
I've used the mobile website more than a few times to "suggest" to the person in the middle seat next to me that they might find it more comfortable in the aisle seat 2 rows back, which is free at the moment and will probably stay that way...

So far I'm about 3/4 for it working.
Man, I love that tool and it updates practically in real-time. Most recently a deadheading FA and I had someone in the middle seat between us for a 5+ hour flight. I checked the app and saw that the pax should've been in 21B, not 21E. I politely mentioned it to the pax, who has happy to move. The FA was fairly grateful.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Do FA's get a commission for the successful onboard sale of E+?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
I saw ~5 buy up when I flew EWR-OSL on Christmas Day.

I'm guessing you will most likely see a couple of these one medium-long haul flights and really not on anything < 2 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.