Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

no award change fees if 1k books ticket for a family member?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2013, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Is it true if my husband, who is 1k books me an award ticket out of his account, that if I change or cancel the award ticket, there are no fees for me even tho I am a base member?

I am thinking of flying to Boston in January, and I want to reserve some space now while there is availiblity on non=stops out of LAX. The trip isn't 100% but I would book it if I knew I wouldn't be charged any fees to cancel and redeposit the miles. Could any of you experts let me know for sure?

Thank you!!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dinise
Is it true if my husband, who is 1k books me an award ticket out of his account, that if I change or cancel the award ticket, there are no fees for me even tho I am a base member?

I am thinking of flying to Boston in January, and I want to reserve some space now while there is availiblity on non=stops out of LAX. The trip isn't 100% but I would book it if I knew I wouldn't be charged any fees to cancel and redeposit the miles. Could any of you experts let me know for sure?

Thank you!!
Correct. Huge thread on this "quirk".
Old Feb 11, 2013, 9:49 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Wirelessly posted (BB Curve: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_3; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.16 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0 Safari/533.16)

Originally Posted by aacharya
Originally Posted by dinise

Thank you!!
Correct. Huge thread on this "quirk".
Not really a "quirk" as much as it is a "perk". Free cancellations are a benefit of being 1K as the miles came from a 1K account, and as long as the cancellation takes place while he is still 1K, all is well.

The huge thread about the "quirk" is related to getting the benefits of the elite status from the booker (i.e. priority boarding, etc.).
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:08 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
The status of the account from which the miles came is what counts.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:21 am
Original Poster

thanks so much for the reponses!!!! Can anyone post a link to the huge thread on this. I looked under "quirk" but nothing came up
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...award+benefits
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
That's really not it. That refers to the bug that the status transfers to the non-status traveller (e.g., for upgrades, free bags, preferred seating/boarding, etc.).

The free redeposits and changes is a Plat and 1K perk that applies to the mileage account used for the reward, irrespective of the traveler.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by channa
That's really not it. That refers to the bug that the status transfers to the non-status traveller (e.g., for upgrades, free bags, preferred seating/boarding, etc.).

The free redeposits and changes is a Plat and 1K perk that applies to the mileage account used for the reward, irrespective of the traveler.
I know that aspect - but she wanted to know the site anyways re: benefits. We all know there isn't a thread on the perk, since it's a well-known perk.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA PP, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
If I was a 1K when I booked an award ticket for some friends, will the ticket change fees be waived until the flight is taken, or is it only valid for as long as I am a 1K? I just dropped from 1K to Gold, but might want to change their bookings over the next few weeks for more favorable connections.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lore
If I was a 1K when I booked an award ticket for some friends, will the ticket change fees be waived until the flight is taken, or is it only valid for as long as I am a 1K? I just dropped from 1K to Gold, but might want to change their bookings over the next few weeks for more favorable connections.
Tickets are treated as Gold tickets now. Be careful when moving them, as Golds only get 1 extra in E+.

But if you are changing within the rules (more than 21 days out, not changing airlines or beginning/ending cities) you may still avoid a fee.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya
I know that aspect - but she wanted to know the site anyways re: benefits. We all know there isn't a thread on the perk, since it's a well-known perk.
If it walks like a quirk, talks like a quirk, then can it really be a perk?
Old Feb 11, 2013, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by LilAbner
If it walks like a quirk, talks like a quirk, then can it really be a perk?
Free redeposit of miles from a 1K's account as been around for at least as long as 2006 when I made 1K. I fail to see how this is quirk. The quirk is that the pax has 1K status on that flight, which started on March 3 2012.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
This is a published benefit for Platinum, 1K and GS members. It is not a quirk.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 3:45 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jgsx
This is a published benefit for Platinum, 1K and GS members. It is not a quirk.
Correct in that the miles come from a 1K/Plat/GS account, and said members can change/redeposit award tickets with no fee. The "quirk" refers to the fact that the member's status conveys in all ways to the award ticket (including access to E+, bag policies, etc.); this latter is what is undocumented as a benefit anywhere that I've seen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.