Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Confused about Mileage credit

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2013, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Confused about Mileage credit

Can someone explain to me the rules of the flight I just took? I am not getting mileage credit for my trip and I am confused why.

I recently booked a flight through United that ended up getting served by Lufthansa as a partner airline. I booked the flight(s) using Y class. The trip was Tallin > Munich > Frankfurt > Bangalore. All were booked in Y class. However, the last leg, Frankfurt to Bangalore, I upgraded using points and a Star Alliance upgrade at the cost of 30K miles.

Now, what ended up happening is that weather was bad in Munich, so I missed my connection to Bangalore out of Frankfurt. I was involuntarily re-routed through Dubai on another Lufthansa flight and then onto Emirates to Bangalore.

I was only upgraded (a terrible upgrade, btw) on the Frankfurt to Dubai leg. I was economy on Emirates and unable to get an upgrade as they do not honor Star Alliance.

Questions:
1. Shouldn't I get some mileage back from my 30K, since I didn't actually get upgraded to Bangalore?
2. Shouldn't I get mileage for the flight from Frankfurt to Dubai on Lufthansa? Right now, they are rejecting this because they claim my upgrade to 'I' class makes me ineligible for mileage. I booked Y remember and upgraded with points.

It ended up really screwing me - now I am out 30K for the partial (and terrible*) upgrade, plus almost 10K for the flight from Frankfurt to Bangalore (1.5 Y credit) for a total loss of 40K points. United won't help me and Lufthansa says tough too.

This can't be right??

*My video system was broken on way over. I ended up spending 4 hrs in Dubai and was refused access to the Star Alliance lounge because I was flying out on Emirates. I was refused access to Emirates lounge because I was no longer biz class too. Oh, yeah, and I pay for a United Club membership.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K and 1MM, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond
I would suggest writing a formal complaint/letter to customer care:
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/default.aspx

They have more authority to make things right than a phone agent. Also, perhaps next time you would be better served to stay an extra night in FRA, and take the same flight the next day in order to get the same service you had ticketed for previously. Assuming that is a viable option.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Quick update: I eventually got my 30K miles back for the lame upgrade, however, I am still out the mileage on Lufthansa.

Can anyone confirm that a Star Alliance upgrade on Lufthansa means you no longer get mileage in the purchased fare class? That does not seem right.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dunnry
Quick update: I eventually got my 30K miles back for the lame upgrade, however, I am still out the mileage on Lufthansa.

Can anyone confirm that a Star Alliance upgrade on Lufthansa means you no longer get mileage in the purchased fare class? That does not seem right.
It is not right, and not accurate. Suggest sending the original receipt pre-upgrade.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 1:35 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aacharya
It is not right, and not accurate. Suggest sending the original receipt pre-upgrade.
Correct... If the OP has such receipt available (hopefully the OP saved an e-mail). If not, the OP needs to stress the booked flight was in Y and that is what should credit.

I know the MP agents can enter specific fare classes in the credit request, even for partner requests; I had one do it last year for me on two separate segments. I was tempted to say "Y" on the one when asked to make up for the lengthy delay getting credit, but was honest and gave them "W."
Old Feb 27, 2013, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

I don't know what to do then. I have repeatedly asked for credit from MP using this form (https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...countInfo.aspx) and attached the receipt proving I paid for Y class. I was denied in each instance because they say that Lufthansa says no credit for upgraded tickets.

I have called Lufthansa and they have said that they do not issue mileage credit when upgrading a ticket with points. However, I think that only applies to their mileage program and not MP.

I have contacted Customer Care via the form from ToneDaBass's suggestion and that went into a black hole. I have had no response in over a week.

I am out 4518 EQMs for the FRA to DBX leg and really annoyed.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 2:11 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Call Mileage Plus (you can call the general UA # and pick the option for the Mileage Plus Service Center, or call them directly at 1-800-421-4655). The agent on the phone can enter the credit request into his or her system while you're on the line.

Don't get into what LH has said (LH is wrong, anyway). Just say you've tried the Web form and have not been able to get credit.

I had to do that with two partner segments last year. It took me over a month of back-and-forth with MP to get credit for a BMI segment, but I eventually did get credit (right before BMI left *A, too).

Another option is to send a fax with a brief note, the BP stubs, and your original itinerary & receipt. The MP Service Center fax # is 1-605-341-6140. This used to be the preferred way for getting quick results, but that was under PMUA. I find calling (though you may have to call back several times) works the best now.

Last edited by exerda; Feb 27, 2013 at 2:13 pm Reason: additional info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.