Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United, Please remove Lufthansa Phantom Awards from United.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services 1MM,, AA Exec Plat. Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist

For months, United has been displaying phantom Star Alliance Partner award availability on United.com, with Lufthansa awards being the most unreliable (particularly in F, which LH is only releasing 14 days prior to departure).

For those who are not familiar with the issue, United.com is showing award space available for certain partner flights until you finalize the booking at which point you get an error message that suggests contacting MP.

While most of us know that you can do a real search using the ANA tool, UA is doing a disservice to their customers by displaying incredibly misleading information.

UnitedInsider, can you please share when this will be fixed and why we no longer have access to LH F awards prior to 14 days before departure?

Last edited by globetraveler; Jan 20, 2013 at 12:57 am
Old Jan 20, 2013, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by globetraveler
For months, United has been displaying phantom Star Alliance Partner award availability on United.com, with Lufthansa awards being the most unreliable (particularly in F, which LH is only releasing 14 days prior to departure).

For those who are not familiar with the issue, United.com is showing award space available for certain partner flights until you finalize the booking at which point you get an error message that suggests contacting MP.

While most of us know that you can do a real search using the ANA tool, UA is doing a disservice to their customers by displaying incredibly misleading information.

UnitedInsider, can you please share when this will be fixed and why we no longer have access to LH F awards prior to 14 days before departure?
UA is working on a fix.

It is LHs action which affects all star alliance partners and not specific to UA. US has it worst with no LH F at all.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Will UA EVER Correct the Phantom LH Availability ?

We know that for years there has been phantom LH availability for MP tickets on the UA website. Will their IT department EVER get this sorted out? It is a real joke, and frustrating.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
They've had much bigger problems with the website and systems that have been around for much longer than this.

Given all the problems they have, this has to be way down on their priority list.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by channa
They've had much bigger problems with the website and systems that have been around for much longer than this.

Given all the problems they have, this has to be way down on their priority list.
Agreed. Also, even among FTers this is a small percentage problem.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 5:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Four of many on this hardy perennial
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...nited-com.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-recently.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...entory-qr.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...e-reverse.html
Old Feb 18, 2013, 6:16 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by TonyBurr:20272608
We know that for years there has been phantom LH availability for MP tickets on the UA website. Will their IT department EVER get this sorted out? It is a real joke, and frustrating.
This was something that was reported as in the process of being addressed at the United DO in Chicago (sorry - on my phone so not going to provide a link). They essentially said it's on their to-do list and the only other alternative in the meantime is to eliminate all visible (phantom and real) LH award inventory on UA.com. Of course, the roomful of frequent fliers were in favor of maintaining the status quo until a workaround is reached.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 7:28 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax
This was something that was reported as in the process of being addressed at the United DO in Chicago (sorry - on my phone so not going to provide a link). They essentially said it's on their to-do list and the only other alternative in the meantime is to eliminate all visible (phantom and real) LH award inventory on UA.com. Of course, the roomful of frequent fliers were in favor of maintaining the status quo until a workaround is reached.
I'm glad it's on their radar screen, at least.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 4:45 pm

Eventhough these phantom awards may not be bookable but you can certainly go ahead and put the award on hold on the United.com website. I just did that for fun and it went through with no problem.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by windcloud5
Eventhough these phantom awards may not be bookable but you can certainly go ahead and put the award on hold on the United.com website. I just did that for fun and it went through with no problem.
Huh? Anything that goes on hold with a confirmed seat is bookable.

If youre referring to UA.com allowing u to waitlist, yes, thats great.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 8:28 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I'm not sure why/how ANA's query engine is different, but it's always the best way to confirm whether the space actually exists. In the majority of situations, if there is premium-cabin LH space on a flight to/from North America (and other regions, but most commonly in NA) >2 weeks prior to departure, it's not real.

Aeroplan suffers the same issue.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 8:31 am

Unfortunately it's not limited to flights outside of 14 days. I'm looking at flights for next week and UA.com is showing two seats where ANA shows just one.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by HumbleBee
Huh? Anything that goes on hold with a confirmed seat is bookable.

If youre referring to UA.com allowing u to waitlist, yes, thats great.
No, I put the phantom awards on hold using united.com.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:13 pm

Phantom LH Award Availability on UA Website Is Back

Lately I've seen posts indicating that the phantom award availability for LH FC seats that was showing up on UA's website had been cured.

In the last few days as I've been tweaking an itinerary for about 10 days from now, it's clear the phantoms are back.

For several days, UA's site was showing LH 433 (ORD-FRA) available in FC, but on calling UA, they didn't see it.

From doing this enough, looks that when a LH FC phantom award seat pops up on the site, the seat does eventually become available in a few days.

Also, LH FC seats for North Atlantic to Europe routes appear to be showing up at MOST 13 days before departure. On other routes they are showing up 14-15 days in advance, from what I have seen.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
I've been a CO Elite for over 10 years. I can think of dozens of bugs that have been fixed just to return months or sometimes years later.

It's probably a safe bet that this issue will be off and on for years to come.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.