Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Profiles to Use Secure Flight Name Information

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MileagePlus Profiles to Use Secure Flight Name Information

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2013, 6:49 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by greatmoosy
for those of us with hyphenated first names is there a specific standard we should go with? for example:

passport: jean luc
global entry: jeanluc
united: jean-luc

since the passport and the global entry are different, which should apply? (or does it fall under the Bob versus Robert Smith example)

thanks!
UAInsider please speak to hyphenated last names as well.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 7:06 am

The combination of my full first name (11) and middle name (5) is 16 letters long. They don't fit on the boarding pass anyway. Heck, often (depending on the airline), my full first name doesn't even print.

For the record, I have a pretty common first name in the US.

I just chose the info that matches my Global Entry account.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 7:09 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is a terrible change for those who have variations between Passport and Global Entry names.

I really wish UA would have left it the way it was.

It also appears they took away the option of going into each reservation and making sure the PASS ID is entered.

The old way was much better.

Way to go, UA.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 20, 2013 at 8:19 am Reason: merge
Old Jan 20, 2013, 7:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by njcommodore
Thanks for the update Aaron. Will this affect INTL checkin that requires passport check? Many of us are pretty frustrated not being able to check in online and would love to know what the requirements are.
I had this issue last year and the UA rep at the counter noticed the naming difference between my passport and ticket. My company's travel desk books through American Express and wasn't using the same name on my passport. She mentioned that early next year (2013 - the conversation happened in Dec 2012) that not having this in sync United would be enforcing this. This was also why I could OLCI for INTL trips.

I had my profile changed with my company but missed the change on United. Now I'm all in sync.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 7:29 am

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ubernostrum
I for one would love to be able to fly with an airline who can accept a "FIRSTNAME LASTNAME JR" without deciding the last name is actually "LASTNAMEJR". The headaches that's caused me in the past were non-trivial.

Similarly, what happens if I do things one way and my employer does them the other way (typically I just leave the "Jr." off to avoid hassle, but since my company books off HR information they always put it in)?
This is exactly the same situation as I am dealing with, my DL has no JR my passport does. Ive never had any issues in the past when my boarding pass has just had my last name with no JR. Im wondering now If i should have left the JR off.

Originally Posted by Ari
It also appears they took away the option of going into each reservation and making sure the PASS ID is entered.

Way to go, UA.
Agreed....
Old Jan 20, 2013, 7:29 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Does this change mean UA will finally put a space between the first and middle names?

On boarding passes mine is usually squished together and truncated and makes it appear as though I have a feminine name. I've even been rejected by TSA once as they said my ticket was for someone else (a supervisor waived me through).
Old Jan 20, 2013, 7:30 am

Programs: OnePass/MileagePlus (Silver), HHonors, Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by UA Insider
[*]This update won’t affect already-ticketed reservations. You’ll still be able to travel even if the ticketed name and the name don’t match exactly but are considered acceptable matches (e.g. Mike vs. Michael or JT versus John Thomas).
My already ticketed reservations were made using only first and last name (no middle name/initials and suffix) and it seems that UA removed the option to input full name in "Edit passenger information" section of each reservation. Won't this be a problem since TSA requires full name?
Old Jan 20, 2013, 7:30 am

Programs: Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Asuka
Version 2 & 3 are the same with Middle name, Version 1 without middle name.
Same deal for me.

My corporate travel agent is incompetent at ticketing with the correct name. If they attempt to ticket with First M Last, and my MP profile shows First Middle Last, which will be on the ticket?
Old Jan 20, 2013, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by demerval
My already ticketed reservations were made using only first and last name (no middle name/initials and suffix) and it seems that UA removed the option to input full name in "Edit passenger information" section of each reservation. Won't this be a problem since TSA requires full name?
Ive never needed the full name. They dont allow nicknames but shortened has never been a problem for me. i.e. Don/Donald Dave/David
Old Jan 20, 2013, 7:33 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by amejr999
Same deal for me.

My corporate travel agent is incompetent at ticketing with the correct name. If they attempt to ticket with First M Last, and my MP profile shows First Middle Last, which will be on the ticket?
Ditto. I'll just book my work travel on another airline and let y'all figure it out over the next month

A separate question for UA Insider - my government issued ID does not include the Prefix MR, does that mean I should remove it in my MP profile?
Old Jan 20, 2013, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by amejr999
Same deal for me.

Whatever is on your MP account will be on the ticket.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 7:47 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
At best this is confusing. Whe I logged on to my account this morning I was presented two choices one with middle initial and one one with middle name. MI matches my DL and MN matches my GE card. Since I always have my DL when travelling I went with that. Now that I log into FT I see I should have gone the other way. So I have gone back and changed it. Moral of the story: Always login to FT before logging on to UA.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Ari

Way to go, UA.
Wonder if this change is like US has it, where the PASS ID field only shows up if it is not entered already. When I went to OLCI with them on thurs, noticed pass Id couldn't be entered at OLCI like I had heard it would - turns out since booking was with UA, they transferred the data over and that once it is there, option doesn't appear. Pre check for both me and the wife.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 8:16 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Thanks for the heads up, totally painless.

Logged in, showed a choice of First, Last and First Middle Initial, Last

Double checked my recent Drivers License and was surprised that instead of a middle initial, they changed to a full middle name, so it now matched my passport.

Easy and painless update to add it in.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 8:33 am

Both choices are correct except they have "Ms." before the name. There is no "Ms." on my DL or passport or GE. Do I need to change this or is UA just being polite?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.