Search

Status of United's 787 Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2013, 7:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
FAA grounds UA 787!

Jeffrey -

Please get the UNITED 777 back on LAX-NRT.

And keep all your cramped 787s in Houston.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 7:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ciao114
Still UA032 from LAX to NRT is in the air!
United! Get your metal on the ground now!
Well I was booked on UA033 and I called to see what is going on with my flight and now I am rerouted.
Good! I don`t want to risk my life at all! But got me very long way...

wont happen unless the FAA tells them to do that, its too co$tly and will mean less of a bonu$

what is your rerouting?

Last edited by craz; Jan 16, 2013 at 8:01 pm
Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by craz
I take it you were on flight 1426, that plane Inbounded from NRT today and it was delayed out of NRT to check Electrical things, but it seems it was given the Go ahead to depart. Now it seems from you it ran into problems at LAX or just maybe they wanted the mechanics here in the US to give it a once over

Either way it does seem to me at least , that top mgmt decided to keep them in the air until told Not To, rather then use common sense and Ground them as they should have
We left LAX on the 787 at 2.30 pm local time instead of 12.30pm. Was that just before the FAA directive?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA-1K >1MM ,QF Platinum,HH-Diamond,Marriott-Gold
I was looking forward to UA 1489 IAH-LAX on the weekend so hoping for an appropriate substitute with BF.

Last edited by thepumpkin; Jan 16, 2013 at 8:04 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA(EXP)UA(1K/1MM) Marriott(PP,LifeTime Plat) Hertz(5*)
Just as a point of order with some of my comments as well as others on this particular thread. Why hasn't united posted anything about the 787 grounding on their website yet?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fivesixseven
We left LAX on the 787 at 2.30 pm local time instead of 12.30pm. Was that just before the FAA directive?
After from what I know. But it was the same plane that ran into problems earlier on Tues @ NRT , yet once again they decided (top mgmt) since none of them were on it let it Depart
Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by craz
wont happen unless the FAA tells them to do that, its too co$tly and will mean less of a bonu$?
OK, you've made this point(?) repeatedly.

Reality is: It tends to be bad for business if you willingly operate airplanes that you know to be unsafe. Say what we will about them, it's unlikely that UA management would do that.

Originally Posted by Sulley
Oh, my. Seems like this thread has ended up like all the rest.
Yep.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by swm61230
Just as a point of order with some of my comments as well as others on this particular thread. Why hasn't united posted anything about the 787 grounding on their website yet?
I dont think they need to, as long as that flight will be operating. I think its just tomorrows 32 LAX-NRT and tomorrows 33 NRT-LAX and Fridays 33 that are CXed. I have no problems with CO since they seem to be contacting those affected on those 3 flights and rebooking them. at least I will give them a ^ for doing that

Originally Posted by bse118
OK, you've made this point(?) repeatedly.

Reality is: It tends to be bad for business if you willingly operate airplanes that you know to be unsafe. Say what we will about them, it's unlikely that UA management would do that.
Ok so explain to me then if tonight once the directive came out they were able not to CX any flights except 3 to/from NRT, why didnt they proactively do that with all of todays 787 flights yesterday once JAL & ANA Grounded theirs? thats what I dont understand the only reason I can think of is a $ one

If it was a problem with just 1 plane or even a series of problems with numerous planes but that were over a few months I could hear Mgmts reasoning. But it was with several planes & day after day, thats another issue completely or in the least why didnt they CX the 1460 tonight LAX-IAH after it ran into more problems after doing so earlier in the day @ NRT?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 16, 2013 at 9:00 pm Reason: merge
Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:18 pm

umm actually it is right on ANA's front page under the notice at the top right quadrant.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
I changed my 26 JAN NRT-LAX flight yesterday to instead route through SEA not because i was afraid to fly the 787 but because i was afraid the flight would get cancelled (either a single bird mechanical issue or something like this). And of course, not at all because there was upgrade potential via SEA and not on the 787...

This is a great plane that will be great for the industry. Eventually.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:21 pm

The 2155 hrs departure of LOT's Flight 4 ORD-WAW on it's 787 is now cancelled. LOT had invited news media to cover it's first 787 flight, and now the media is broadcasting the cancellation.

Originally Posted by northsideguy
So far the flight is on schedule to depart at 2155 hrs.
The WAW-ORD had not landed yet, so I guess time will tell.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by swm61230
umm actually it is right on ANA's front page under the notice at the top right quadrant.
My Bad how did I miss that!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Sulley
I'm somewhat offended by some posters alluding that UA would deliberately run an unsafe operation and that TechOps would let an dangerous plane fly.

This is simply not the case. I trust any plane in our fleet.
I really don't think anyone here is alluding that UA is intentionally putting planes out there that they know are going to crash; rather, it's just that there are always other factors that may affect the judgment of whether or not to ground a fleet of aircraft voluntarily. In the same way, I don't think anyone would suggest that a captain or crew would ever intentionally put the lives of their passengers (or their own lives for that matter) in danger, but there are unfortunate instances in which other factors clearly affected the judgment and behavior of the crew resulting in incidents.

Personally, all I can say is that I would feel a lot better about UA had they grounded the 787 fleet before the FAA forced them to do so.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:26 pm

Anybody remember about Southwest and the 737's being opened in mid flight like soda cans. And they still kept flying for at least a couple of days if not longer as other 737's opened up mid flight before they grounded some of their fleet.

Don't fool your self safety of an aircraft is a close second or third or even fourth to the amount of money to fix, cancel, or rebook. Money will always trump everything. Just look what they have done so far to our old beloved UNITED
Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
European safety agency to ground 787 in line with FAA

Europe has joined in now....

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...90G05A20130117

European safety regulators will follow the United States in ordering the grounding of Boeing 787 Dreamliners amid battery safety concerns, a spokesman said early on Thursday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.