Wiki Posts
Search

*G Baggage Allowance Extended

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2013, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ *G, Qantas Gold
*G Baggage Allowance Extended

Just looking at flying United around the US with my folks, I am *G and they hold no status. On the baggage page it states:

"Star Alliance® Gold members, including MileagePlus® Premier® Gold, Premier Platinum and Premier 1K® members are allowed to check up to three bags, each with a maximum weight of 70 pounds and a maximum outside dimension of 62 linear inches. MileagePlus Premier Silver and Star Alliance Silver members are allowed one checked bag with a maximum weight of 50 pounds and a maximum outside dimension of 62 linear inches. The benefits listed above apply to up to nine companions traveling on the same reservation as a Premier member. "

The bit I am interested in is the 'benefits listed above apply to up to nine companions travelling on the same reservation as a premier member" - does a "premier member" mean *G also or just MileagePlus Premier?

If I am to book us all on the same reservation does that mean we all get 2 free checked bags?

Last edited by youai779; Jan 7, 2013 at 3:37 pm
Old Jan 7, 2013, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by youai779
Just looking at flying United around the US with my folks, I am *G and they hold no status. On the baggage page it states:

"Star Alliance® Gold members, including MileagePlus® Premier® Gold, Premier Platinum and Premier 1K® members are allowed to check up to three bags, each with a maximum weight of 70 pounds and a maximum outside dimension of 62 linear inches. MileagePlus Premier Silver and Star Alliance Silver members are allowed one checked bag with a maximum weight of 50 pounds and a maximum outside dimension of 62 linear inches. The benefits listed above apply to up to nine companions traveling on the same reservation as a Premier member. "

The bit I am interested in is the 'benefits listed above apply to up to nine companions travelling on the same reservation as a premier member" - does a "premier member" mean *G also or just MileagePlus Premier?

If I am to book us all on the same reservation does that mean we all get 2 free checked bags?
No, you each get 3 bags. Yes, 3 each. For 3 pax that is 9 bags up to 70 lbs each, or up to a total 630 lbs of stuff. Way too much stuff to be carrying around, but you can check it on UA.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
No, you each get 3 bags. Yes, 3 each. For 3 pax that is 9 bags up to 70 lbs each, or up to a total 630 lbs of stuff. Way too much stuff to be carrying around, but you can check it on UA.
When I migrated from IAD->SYD in 2008 it was cheaper to buy 2 round trip tickets for 2 friends (and me toss my return) and have them "bring" 210lb each of my stuff then to pay shipping on the stuff

yay "mules"
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
Originally Posted by LordTentacle
When I migrated from IAD->SYD in 2008 it was cheaper to buy 2 round trip tickets for 2 friends (and me toss my return) and have them "bring" 210lb each of my stuff then to pay shipping on the stuff

yay "mules"
Just to confirm - you are both answering in the affirmative here but may be missing an important detail in the OP's post as neither of you have acknowledged it. The OP is *Gold, not UA elite. Are you sure the baggage allowance applies in the same way for other pax on the reservation in this case? I'm not sure - OP, would suggest you get a definite answer from someone who has done this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.