Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Trouble booking a stop-over itinerary online (PHL->FRA->KIX-PHL)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2013, 2:36 am
Original Poster

I am having some trouble and I was hoping you could help me out.

I am trying to book the following routing:

5/15: PHL -> FRA
6/15: FRA -> KIX
7/15: KIX -> PHL

I have checked each individual leg and see that there is in fact super-saver availability on every leg for those dates. However, when I plug this entire thing in to the multiple destination ticket booker I get the following error:

"We were not able to find any available flights for award travel meeting your requirements."

Am I doing something wrong with this routing? Do I need to book by phone? If I book by phone, are there any additional fees?

Thank you!
Old Jan 3, 2013, 3:43 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
I didn't think that was valid...
However...
PHL->FRA(stopover)->KIX(destination)->FRA->PHL should work

Its probably only listing KIX->PHL over the pacific and thus rejecting the ticket
and edit... looking more its probably hitting enough segments to get unhappy....
if you do it as the above its still fails the website but I have booked something like it over the phone no issues
Old Jan 3, 2013, 3:52 am

Programs: EK I/O, BA Gold, UAGS, Sirius Gold
Is it possible the flights he's looking at on Lufthansa are really not available. I've heard this happens
Old Jan 3, 2013, 3:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LordTentacle
I didn't think that was valid...
However...
PHL->FRA(stopover)->KIX(destination)->FRA->PHL should work

Its probably only listing KIX->PHL over the pacific and thus rejecting the ticket
and edit... looking more its probably hitting enough segments to get unhappy....
if you do it as the above its still fails the website but I have booked something like it over the phone no issues
I was wondering if there was a "don't cross two oceans" rule. However, I have not been able to find one on the United site. Is it your understanding that is a thing?

I too tried the routing you suggested (because I thought such a rule might exist) and got the same sort of error. I guess I will have to try on the phone. Too bad; cuts a number of hours off and just wastes their fuel.

Originally Posted by Ctheexpat
Is it possible the flights he's looking at on Lufthansa are really not available. I've heard this happens
It is really odd though that I can see availability for each segment individually but not the entire thing if that was the issue.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 4:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Some agents say the "two oceans" rule exist. Some don't. Sometimes they can price it easily and sometimes not. If the inventory is there try calling in to price it.

Officially you are required to pay even if the call is because the website wouldn't book it. Whether the agent waives that or not is up to your negotiating skills.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 4:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
Some agents say the "two oceans" rule exist. Some don't. Sometimes they can price it easily and sometimes not. If the inventory is there try calling in to price it.

Officially you are required to pay even if the call is because the website wouldn't book it. Whether the agent waives that or not is up to your negotiating skills.
I see. So it is not a computer-forced sort of rule, but rather an agent-by-agent thing? I was used to that with US Airways, but I thought United was much more automated in what they could allow.

Have you had luck getting them to waive the phone booking fee? Is it just being a nice person or do you have any suggested lines?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.