Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2013 Let's Eat - Domestic First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 Let's Eat - Domestic First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2013, 1:20 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Yeah, that's one of my single biggest disappointments post-merger...food initially was an improvement over PMUA, but overall, I think it's arguably worse now, esp. domestic non-transcons.
I would even add the TRANSCONs ex-NYC area. Just came in from SFO and had the same chicken with red sauce and rice that has been offered for the last several years. They need to add variety and bump up the quality a bit....it's getting old.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I completely agree with you, the only thing not, is the tortilla soup... US has surpassed UA in food quality and taste, just wish the meals were a little bigger.
I think US food has been better for at least five years now (than PMUA). PMCO food was very good--a shame one of the few good things about CO wasn't kept.

US Food is always great IMO--from fresh salads to flavorful entrees, meal service on US Air is great...when you get it. The 3.5hr rule is a dealbreaker.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I think US food has been better for at least five years now (than PMUA). PMCO food was very good--a shame one of the few good things about CO wasn't kept.

US Food is always great IMO--from fresh salads to flavorful entrees, meal service on US Air is great...when you get it. The 3.5hr rule is a dealbreaker.
Don't say this too loud, don't want people trying US and liking it..
Old Jun 25, 2013, 7:19 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
After just coming over from Delta, which doesn't serve hot meals for their <1500mi flights, (and no DL meals <900mi) UA is better.

I do enjoy UA's soup, actually heating up of food (even if the food quality is suspect), and the fresh baked cookies (brings back memories of Midwest Airlines before Frontier did away with the whole fresh baked cookie thing).

I know this is all relative of course, having just flown SQ in F/Suites LAX-NRT-SIN-PVG, HKG-SFO last month.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by dchen2
I do enjoy UA's soup, actually heating up of food (even if the food quality is suspect), and the fresh baked cookies (brings back memories of Midwest Airlines before Frontier did away with the whole fresh baked cookie thing).
The cookies are not freshly baked. They are precooked and reheated onboard.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rch4u
Not according to the bag.

Old Jun 25, 2013, 8:43 pm
grt

I could not believe this, but the bags of potato chips you get as snacks in domestic 1st class contain 0.5 oz of potatoes each (approximately 4 or 5 small potato chips).

How low is UA going to sink? Bad coffee? Shredded cashews? 0.5oz of chips?

On the positive side, I had a nice steak in International Business class (SFO-ICN) and the service was top notch.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
Originally Posted by rch4u View Post
Not according to the bag.

QUOTE=SFO777; Not according to the bag.
Say it ain't so! I guess ignorance is bliss!
Old Jun 25, 2013, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA Plt, FB Silver
Originally Posted by R&R
Could the quality of the meals be dependent on the amount of competitive airlines out of New York and Chicago?
In ORD-Left Coast markets, UA competes with AA on almost every route, plus VX and AS on a few each.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 10:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Originally Posted by grt
I could not believe this, but the bags of potato chips you get as snacks in domestic 1st class contain 0.5 oz of potatoes each (approximately 4 or 5 small potato chips).

How low is UA going to sink? Bad coffee? Shredded cashews? 0.5oz of chips?

On the positive side, I had a nice steak in International Business class (SFO-ICN) and the service was top notch.
They'll have us bring our own chips, collect them at the door and then pass them back out to us as if giving us something!
Old Jun 25, 2013, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by boss315
They'll have us bring our own chips, collect them at the door and then pass them back out to us as if giving us something!
Don't give UA any ideas now! This will be their definition of added value services!
Old Jun 26, 2013, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rch4u
I think they are baked on board, I was seated in 1B once and watch the FA take a bag that had the cookie dough balls and placed them on sheet and put them in the oven and in about 12 minutes she took them out. The scones are heated up as well as the cinnamon rolls.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 3:27 am
R&R

Programs: 1K-UA/AA, LT PLAT-MARRIOTT(1984), HILTON-GOLD, HYATT-GOLD
It always makes me wonder how healthy those doughy 1/2 baked cookies are for the Blood Sugar, digestion, cholesterol, triglycerides, etc.
Well, if you drink enough cocktails, you won't worry them!

They seem incompletely baked where ever you get them!
Yes, they feel chewy, sweet, but do they digest well in the stomach/small intestinal, or do they form another dough ball?
Old Jun 26, 2013, 7:36 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Live Post from UA 248 DCA-IAH

Posting live on a Wi-Fi equipped A319 (N805UA)

Wednesday, June 26
UA 248
DCA-IAH
A318
0759 departure

Choice of Jeff McMuffin or cereal with fruit and yogurt.

Cereal came with two packages of Total cereal, small ramekin on yogurt and bowl with assorted fruit. Croissants and warm cinnamon rolls also offered. So sad a high yield route like this doesn't even get the omelet!
Old Jun 26, 2013, 7:58 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by TWA Guy
Cereal came with two packages of Total cereal, small ramekin on yogurt and bowl with assorted fruit. Croissants and warm cinnamon rolls also offered. So sad a high yield route like this doesn't even get the omelet!
The omelet or scrabled eggs were the norm on this route in the past. I think it probably cycles between the Jeff McMuffin and omelet

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.