Wiki Posts
Search

Economy Plus on LH operated flight?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2012, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Economy Plus on LH operated flight?

Hello,

Can United Mileage Plus members get Economy Plus seating on co-marketed UAL/LH flights operated by LH?

The backstory:I am planning on flying from SFO to Naples, IT using Mileage Plus miles. I have flown on LH through Munich and returned on UA through Frankfort. Since the Frankfort flight was operated by UA we could get Economy Plus that made all the difference in relative comfort. Unfortunately the connections to Naples from SFO through Frankfort have either very long (6-8 hours) or very short (45 minute) layovers. SFO-Munich layovers are reasonable but operated by LH. So ideally, it would be great if I could get Economy Plus seating through them. When I called UA, they put me on hold forever seeing if the LH flight from SFO to Munich had Economy Plus, which makes me think its possible. However, after waiting on hold for 25 minutes I never got an answer, so I thought I would check here. Any help would be greatly appreciated . Alan
Old Dec 23, 2012, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
LH does not have Economy Plus, so the answer is no.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA, DL
LH does not have E+. best you can do is try to get access to LH preferred seats.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA-1K
No E+ on LH.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by germansoks
LH does not have E+. best you can do is try to get access to LH preferred seats.
Even for 1K/*G those are very hard to come by.
The plane has to be empty and the person behind the counter needs to be in a special great mood to give you an exit row or one of the other "preferred seats" on LH.
On the other hand, UA can only hope to have the service on board you get with LH in coach.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 6:56 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
E+ on UA domestic is what LH calls 'business' in EU flights
you will have to pay more
Old Dec 23, 2012, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IflyfromABE
Really? I have flown business on LH within Europe. Basically you get a meal and a little wider seat. Legroom was the same as basic coach. E+ has more legroom in my experience.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 8:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by IflyfromABE
Extremely confusing comment - this isn't true at all.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 9:11 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
I was on an intra european flight with LH and was flying as 1k *G, I was in a cabin with about 6 or 8 rows just behind business and ahead of economy, there was a bulkhead behind me. It must have been for *G and other elites as there were only 3 of us in that small cabin.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by sfo
I was on an intra european flight with LH and was flying as 1k *G, I was in a cabin with about 6 or 8 rows just behind business and ahead of economy, there was a bulkhead behind me. It must have been for *G and other elites as there were only 3 of us in that small cabin.
That sounds like the "business class if they need it" area.

As with most (all?) of the "business class" cabins on those planes, the seats are standard economy seats, but they have the ability to reconfigure them from being 3 standard economy seats into 2 business class seats with wider arm-rests and a table between them.

They can vary on a flight-by-flight basis how many of those rows are business and how many are economy.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile Gold, Club, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hertz G, A/Club
They block the middle seat in a three seat row and call it business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.