Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The 2013 “Who, When, Where, What and How” thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2013 “Who, When, Where, What and How” thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Asia Miles, MH Enrich, SPG Gold, Marriott Rewards, Hyatt Gold, Le Club Accor
Who: Psychologist who does human rights consulting as part of my practice.
When: SFO-Orlando in August....
How: Travel to do consulting in several countries, personal vacations, work conferences. I've maintained pretty much the same amount of travel for the past several years. I make it a practice to bring my wife and now 2 year old son with me as much as I can when I travel, which makes it adventurous. Most of my travel is self-funded.

Where: PEK, TAS, ICN, TPE, MCO, AUS, PDX, PNH, VIE, CDG

Why: Most important for us are priority boarding (essential with a child and changed boarding policies), and lounge access.

What: In 2013, will probably change my base from SFO to PEK, and do more traveling back forth between PEK and LAX/SFO. Also, will return to TAS, PNH, TPE, with added trips to PVR, HNL, TPE.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 1:12 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Me.

Who: Golf and bankruptcy asset liquidation/ management.

When: November, 4 ROC-IAD heading home to San Diego from a wedding.

How: Travel for work, family and friends. Most is out of pocket so I rely on the FT MR and deals thread. I extend every route as far as I can with as many stops as I can.

Where: TPA, HNL, SFO, LAX, SMF, ROC, BUF, IAD, ORD, CLE, IAH, EWR, COS, DEN, LAS, PHX, DCA, LGA, MIA, CHO, BWI, BOS.

Why: One blow out first class trip a year. This year is Phuket and Hong Kong in UA, SQ, and TG F. Next year is MXP in LH F, and 2014 is SYD via ICN in OZ F.

What: Little trips to BDL, ORF, BWI, MCI, MIA are booked, the rest will be keeping my eyes open for deals near friends and work.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, WN A+, SPG Plat, Hilton HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
Who: Management Consultant. Long time FT stalker, 1st time post. Excited to have finally joined.

When: DEC 14. IAD --> SFO (RPUd to Business First)

How: Mostly personal travel. Lots of weddings, ski trips, and weekend getaways. Love flying and seeing new cities.

Where: DEN (x3), BOS (x2), SGN, LGA (x5), EWR, JFK, MCI, MSY, STT, MIA (x2), FLL, PVD, MHT, BDA, SFO (x3), LAX (x2), SAN, ORD, YYZ, BCN, JMK, ATH, TLV, ACK, PHL, DCA, IAD, MEM, CUN, KOA, CLE, PDX

Why: CPUs/ E+ (I'm 6'4)/ More Miles, More 1st world problems

What: Ski trips to GVA, DEN, SLC. Vacations to EZE, CPT, NAN, SYD, HKT. Likely 1P or 1K in 2013.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA MM
Who: CPA, former CFO for international non profit, home brewer
When: March 3, 2012 - suspicious bookkeeping entries made by Smisek, J resulted in 1MM status with only 930k BIS
How: International travel as volunteer internal auditor for non profits
Where: OUA
Why: E+, occasional upgrade, priority access, seemed like a good idea at the time
What: ACC in 2013
Old Dec 24, 2012, 5:34 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM
Who: Cardiologist, who does lots of national and international lecturing and consulting. Wife is a scientist in the pharma world (from Norway), 1K in her own right, but likes the GS status she gets from me via MM.

When: 1K in June flying FCO-IAD after a friend's wedding, 2K in November on DXB-IAD after lecturing in OSL and JED, will pass 2.5K next Sunday on OSL-EWR after Christmas in Norway

How: Never done a MR, though have taken a few opportunistic routings! Was equally distributed between CO and UA premerger, so suddenly became 3.6 MM when programs combined. Most big travel is international C for conferences.

Where: CLE/EWR/JAX/CLT/LAX/KOA/ORD/DCA/PHX/IAH/FLL/RDU/GRU/DEN/IAD/
DXB/BKK/KIX/AKL/SFO/YYZ/LGA/BOS/OSL/FCO/GIG/SDU/CGH/MUC/DTW/PVG/
SHA/PEK/WUH/STL/MCO/HKG/SGN/SIN/DPS/BMU/IST/JED/DOH/FRA/ATH

Best trip of the year was springboarding off a conference in HKG to vacation with my wife in SGN (do the XO Foodie Tour!), DPS, and a week diving at Wakatobi off the coast of SE Sulawesi (sublime). Just barely got in on the 747 returning for SIN-HKG and managed to upgrade us to GF for SIN-HKG-ORD. Not bad...

Why: I grew up in Oklahoma, my wife in a little fjord-town on the west coast of Norway. Never in a million years could we have imagined these opportunities to see the world. In my work, I've gained many close friends on every continent, which makes travel extra nice. We love new experiences.

What: With conferences planned in REC, AMS, PEK, CGK, SYD, HKG, DEL, and IST, 1K shouldn't be too hard, maybe 2K. For the time being I'm focusing as much travel as possible on UA metal until crossing the 4MM mark, likely sometime late in 2014, when I'll reach the promised land of GS for life (at least until the rules change...). I also like the 100% bonuses I get on UA, as there are lots of kids who are hungry consumers of miles. My wife will need to strategize some to get the 6 GPUs at 1K, but if I know her, she will make it!

Last edited by JDT1955; Dec 24, 2012 at 5:54 am
Old Dec 24, 2012, 7:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Who: Federal Government attorney who doesn't book YCA fares on official travel.
When: 1K in early November on a sUA 757 IAD-SFO.
How: While I didn't travel as much as I did in 2011, 2012 exceeded my expectations. I actually flew fewer flights but slightly more long-haul international - SIN and several Africa flights will do wonders for one's mileage balance. Did the same number of personal flights this year, but no TATLs for fun, the first time in 4 years we haven't traversed the pond. Have more Africa flights, another Asia flight, and plan to come back across the pond in 2013 now that the Olympics are over.
Where: Halifax, NS, California (x6), CSprings (x2), El Paso, Austin, Tucson, Mexico City (x4), Panama (x2), Bogota, Key West (x2), Miami (x2), Honduras, Costa Rica, Singapore, Seattle, Benin, Togo, New Orleans, Portland.
Why: Upgrades, IRROPS protection, Upgrades. Did I mention Upgrades? No MRs ever again.
What: Last year i said "I've probably reached 1K for the last time." Well, so much for predictions. But I once again expect to revert to my usual 50-75K flying in 2013, and thanks to the generous match AA gave me to Plat, it will be hard to not fly on the dAArk side, as my upgrade % there in 2012 was over 90%. I also reached Silver on DL, and for some of the routes I expect to fly in 2013, DL is the only game in town. I am more optimistic about UA than I was this time last year, as it sounds like some of the management team realizes that crapping on their elites isn't the wisest business model.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 7:33 am

Programs: UAL MM,
Who: Management Consultant
When: I was cutting it close for 1K this year. Superstorm Sandy cancelled a trip and put me under by 3 segments. I did my first ever mileage run Tuesday to requalify. I found an inexpensive 3 hop flight to LAS, returned on a one-way red eye award flight 4 hours later. Wasn't all that bad!
How: Virtually all my segments have been CRJ and ER4.
Where: Domestic (OKC, DAY, ORD, CLE)
Why: Irregular Ops assistance
What: Lifetime miles now at 975K. Never thought I'd hit anything like MM.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 8:18 am

Programs: UA-1k, AA-EP, HH-D, Marriott-G,HPass-PL, Avis-Pres, Hertz-Pres
Bring it 2013

Who: Consultant to Colleges and Universities

When: July 1K not enough international to touch GS

How: Not a single MR this year, All work except for 8 college weddings with Mrs. WooFly and an infant in tow

Where: AMM, DUB, DXB, FRA, ISU, LHR, MUC & Too many US to name all from IAH)

Why: The miles and status from UA and *A are a perk of traveling 90% of the time and let me share my passion of travel and seeing the world with Mrs WooFly (She fell in love with LH F this year thanks to miles)

What: My hope is to get a trip or to back to ISU (all on *G with new FAA rules) and domestically shift to PassPlus at the office and move from discount buckets to Y,B,M bonus PQM buckets to makeup for less INTL J/C.

Last edited by woofly; Dec 24, 2012 at 8:31 am
Old Dec 24, 2012, 8:34 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Who: Fiduciary Accountant for a large Multi-National Investment Bank

When: Early November on IAH-PIT

How: All of my travels are personal with 70% being actual trips and 30% being MRs. I got a job offer last Jan with a start date of Mid-February, so I did 4 MRs early in the year knowing that I won't have as much free time on my hands.

Where: CLD, SBA [x2], LAS [x3], PDX, BDA, PHL/BWI, PHX, SJU, BOG, IST/AYT, and LAX/BUR

Why: I have always wanted to be a commercial pilot, but due to my deafness, it is not feasible, so I travel a lot out of passion for aviation. I hope to get a job in the near future that requires a boatload of traveling.

What: I have a few trips booked already and I need to book a few more as plans firm up. I have already booked OSL, LAS, SEA, and SAN. I need to book RNO/LAX [Tahoe for skiing with the family then down to LA for my fraternity's annual founders banquet], and PSP soon. I am not sure when I will hit 1K again, but I would like to pace out my progress just like I did this year. I also would like to start burning my massive stash of miles, I have not redeemed an award travel in almost two years.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 8:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, Priority Platinum, Marriot Gold, Delta Platinum
Who: Senior Field Service Engineer for a rendering equipment manufacturer, on my free time try to spend as much time with my girlfriend and playing golf.

When Made 1K on 12/11, first year of frequent travelling, next year will include more travel than 2012.

How: 90% work, mostly on Y, rarely on C.

Where: Based on SJO. This year: MGA, PTY, CCS, MEX, GYE, LIM, YYZ, YOW, FSD, DEN, ORD, IAH, EWR, FRA, AMS, BRE, MUC, HEL, CAI, RUH, DMM, AHB.

Why: It has always been my goal to get to know as much of the world as possible. Love to fly and once introduced to the perks of frequent flyer programs more hooked into it.

What: Q1 of 2013 has me at: CAI, HEL, MEX, DMM, AHB. Rest of the year who knows, probably lot of middle east and Asia but looking forward to get to start up projects at BOM and AKL.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:46 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Who: I'm a trainer on industrial equipment, based near BOS, but main R&D/manufacturing is in Israel. Every year my travel percentage has increased and it's not gonna get any better in 2013.
When: Crossed into 1K-land some time in October, I think.
How: Most of my travel is for work. With my schedule for 2012 this is the first year where I have not needed any mileage runs to keep/attain status.
Where: Of note: EZE TLV YVR SEA. A bunch of other places as well but few were of much interest. Many of my customers are in small-ish US cities.
Why: You can't be serious. Is this a trick question?
What: I'll probably re-qualify for 1K next year as I see no signs that my travel schedule will become lighter. We're starting to ship the next generation of equipment and demand is high. Doubt I'll ever get invited to GS as I'm not allowed to buy F/C/Y/B fares.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Who: I am a Catholic religious brother presently working on the Navajo Reservation in northwestern Arizona. My current assignment is administrator of a small mission parish.
When: Made Gold (60 segments) on December 10.
How: I fly for meetings of my religious community, to visit my elderly mother, and to appeal for funds in support of the mission. I mostly fly out of PHX and ABQ and my most frequent destination is BTR.
Where: 2012 airports include ABQ, BTR, COS, DEN, DFW, IAH, LAX, MCI, ORD, and PHX.
Why:While most of my travel is domestic, I accumulate miles for occasional international trips.
What: I hope to repeat as Gold, once again on segments. When possible, I fly extra segments on an itinerary, often "padding" an itinerary by one or two segments for only a few dollars more than more direct connections.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Who: I do air service development consulting work for airports, I essentially help airports pursue new or enhanced air service from airlines.

When: Renewed 1K status on Dec. 19 on approach into IAD from SEA, finished the year at 100,248 PQMs

How: I travel a lot for work but also maximize my PQMs with the UA Presidential Plus card and Visa Signature MileagePlus card. Most of my flying is directly on UA with some US segments sprinkled in. Being based in DC I luckily have lots of choices. A few personal trips as well but only 2 or 3.

Where: SAN, SEA, SGU, LAS, AUS, ORD, YUL, YYC, DXB, AUA, SMF, PBI, DAY, MCI, IND, TPA, RNO, ATL, SBA, LAX, SNA - many with some "creative" routings

Why: Ever since I made 1K 5 years ago, I've been totally hooked. The benefits are well worth it, especially when I travel with my family. Boarding first, reserving exit rows or economy plus and now Pre-check all make it worthwhile. As do the drink tickets of course Oh, and the confirmable upgrades aren't bad either...I will often take convoluted routings or fly at alternate times to confirm upgrades in advance.

What: My one typical overseas trip will not happen this year so it may be tough to keep 1K. Trips confirmed so far include DFW, EGE, JAX, CTG, SAT, ATL, LAS, SJC and AUA.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA
Who: I run a small final assembly and packaging factory in China and try to remodel a house (3 years and counting) when not in China.

When: Platinum in October

How: Rotate my time between China and the West Coast, typically six to eight weeks between cities. Having built up a bunch of miles I've spent the last year mostly flying in J on miles+copay (thank you mherdeg script!). My silliest trip this year is probably MEL-PHX-HKG over a two day period. My body is pretty good at jetlag but the crisscross pushed the limits of adaptability.

Where: SYD, MEL, TPE, HKG, SZX, KIX, LAX, SEA, SFO, DEN, PHX, ZRH, LCY

Why: Never done a pure mileage run, have occasionally used a goofy United.com routing to pad miles on TPAC flights. The status is nice for domestic upgrades.

What: Took advantage of the first class fire sale for a TPAC flight in August, should have done like the others and booked 2013 flights with it but spring flights already booked and the dates only went to November 15 (I avoid Asia in the summer and do most flying in fall). Debating where to go for birthday (make it a habit to fly somewhere far far away for the birthday)
Old Dec 27, 2012, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
Who: Business development manager for a large trade association.

When: Requalified for 2P in July.

How: 50% work and 50% personal. Lots of low-mileage domestic segments (great deal of travel between the ORD home base and the coasts, including the Gulf Coast). All told, I'll end up with 44 EQS and about 42,000 United EQM. Total BIS flown this year is in the 60,000-mile range. My only longhaul segments this year were on award tickets.

Where: TPA x5 or 6, LAX x2, LGA x3, DCA x2, PHX x2, CLT x2, IAD, JAX, CHS, DEN, SJC, LAS, MCO, IAH, EZE, USH, PTY, a few others.

Why: Mostly the thrill of the chase (status/miles), plus building miles to start sampling longhaul premium products and to allow my wife to travel with me more often.

What: 2013 looks promising to finally make *G. Unless big changes occur in my professional life (not anticipated), I'm guaranteed at least 52,000 BIS EQM, with about 25,000 of those booked for travel between January 1 and early April. That is conservative and leaves out several trips that are probable but not yet confirmed. I have about 22,000 BIS EQMs booked in January alone thanks to trips to SIN and DCA, which will provide a great jump-start to 2013.

Last edited by zcat18; Dec 27, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.