Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to O/ON coming Feb. 1, 2013

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2012, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by wilp888
I'll take your bet any day. You forget about the people who earn miles from MP credit cards. The miles I picked up from my credit cards far exceed those I earned as a 1K flyer.
I wonder how many big spenders who spend 100's thousands of dollars to get that 100's thousands of points for the GF award tickets? Only UA would have the statistics.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
If the change results in more space available for upgrades from Business to First then I am ok with the change, even if award space is reduced for 1Ks. Of course, my view is impacted by the fact that I fly to Asia several times a year in paid Business and would love to use a GPU and be riding in F for 10 hours instead.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 7:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Air Houston
If the change results in more space available for upgrades from Business to First then I am ok with the change, even if award space is reduced for 1Ks. Of course, my view is impacted by the fact that I fly to Asia several times a year in paid Business and would love to use a GPU and be riding in F for 10 hours instead.
Since I never use my miles for award travel, I'm in the minority who likes this move if it allows for more C to F upgrades.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
You're probably right, since they probably don't sell much GF anymore might as well just treat it as extra C space, which this allows them to do?
In the long run, I expect most GF will be eliminated anyway. So, all this huffing and puffing relates to what I predict will be a short term phenomenon. It's no secret that the CO way is two-cabin aircraft, and we all know that it's CO way or the highway.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 8:21 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by mitchmu
In the long run, I expect most GF will be eliminated anyway. So, all this huffing and puffing relates to what I predict will be a short term phenomenon. It's no secret that the CO way is two-cabin aircraft, and we all know that it's CO way or the highway.
A friend and I recently flew LHR-IAD on Z fares. He got the op up, I did not. I was in the row behind him in C so we spent the whole flight comparing experiences. The biggest difference was on the ground, as the booze at the LHR *A FCL is better than at the *A Lounge.

He did get a pre-departure drink while I did not. But the menus were identical (well his menu was printed on larger paper!). The wine list was very similar in quality.

His meal came much faster than mine. But his FA was just as aloof and disappeared at the same time mine did.

And to that point, the only discernible difference between C and F anymore is a slightly bigger seat and no chance of the horrid 4-across business seats.

2-cabin in practice if not reality....
Old Dec 21, 2012, 9:01 am

Programs: MileagePlus
yeah this is almost like the instagram backlash...I am a regular UA flyer but given what I am reading now I think after I come back stateside I will be searching for a new program given that UA and CO are cutting the benefits in the name of profits...yeah that has worked.

UAL Insider hasn't made a response to any of these questions/comments...
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Please don't cancel ON-class benefit

I've just booked 3 one-way trips for my folks on UA GF between HKG and USA using ON inventory while O=0. It would really suck when they take this benefit away.

They'd better increase total O-class inventory to compensate for this loss.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Yup - the promised special R/I/O elite inventory has become a farce

At least it was observed with O/ON (the only one IME, not including basic coach space), and now that will soon be gone
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Yup - the promised special R/I/O elite inventory has become a farce

At least it was observed with O/ON (the only one IME, not including basic coach space), and now that will soon be gone
RN is a farce, ON is going away, but i think IN still exist as a tangible benefit
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 787fan
RN is a farce, ON is going away, but i think IN still exist as a tangible benefit
I know it's been reported - but I have yet to see IN>I, and I do a lot of searching
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:45 am

Programs: None - previously UA
It is kind of silly, those F award bookings will most likely go to another carrier, which ends up costing UA more?
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:16 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

I know it's been reported - but I have yet to see IN>I, and I do a lot of searching
I have seen XN>X not that I book Y awards.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 1:07 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by mitchmu
Apologies if this doesn't belong here - not sure if it's best here or to create a new thread or elsewhere.

Browsing some flights and noticing fare classes HN, JN, and YN.

I don't think I've ever seen those before - are they familiar to others?
All are Standard award space. HN is non-elite economy Standard award space, YN is the elite equivalent (last seat availability), and JN is elite business. Just to keep things confusing, JN does double duty as Y-up space.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
I booked IN to YYZ in 2012 when I was zero, so it is possible.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
It's absolutely clear what is happening here. UA is reducing GF saver award space but at the same time they need to maintain upgrade space for pax paying full fare business. It appears that on some routes UA has already eliminated all GF saver space between 2 and 30 days out. NRT<>SEA is a good example. Used to be excellent saver inventory on this route. Now there is none.

I think UA figures some business travelers are using miles for trips instead of paying with cash so they want to eliminate or reduce the availability of space of premium saver space in the window when business travelers buy tickets.

IMHO, this is totally misguided for a number of reasons.

1. Good availability of GF saver fares is one of the main perks of MP and one of the reasons many FF continue to stick with UA.

2. A lot of people (myself included) use miles to make discretionary business trips because they can fly in comfort. If they have to pay full premium fares or ride in the back, they simply won't take the trip.

3. If award inventory is not available on UA, people will take trips to places served by other *A airlines.

4. If UA miles become harder to redeem, people will shift spending from Chase to other credit cards (e.g. Amex where miles can be converted to other airline programs).

I'm beginning think UA management is really stupid. You would have thought that they would have learned after the screw ups back in March, but no.... they still think so poorly of the intelligence of their best "loyal" customers that they believe they can deprecate the MP program benefits with no ill effect on our willingness to continue to fly and spend money with UA.

I spent $100k on UA last year after turning down the AA status match offer, but to be honest, but there is a limit to my patience.

If I'm wrong here, UA Insider please feel free to correct me, but I'm pretty sure this is exactly what is behind the UA change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.