Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Services Invitations for 2013

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:47 am

Programs: UA/CO-GS/PPlat,AA-Gold,SPG-Plat,Hilton-Diamond,Marriott-Plat,Hertz-Pres_Circe
Originally Posted by kenn0223
This, in fact, is no longer a GS benefit. I tried to exercise multiple times this summer and was denied 100% of the time buy both pmUA and pmCO agents. Also gone is the guaranteed seat availability; if there are no seats for sale you are not getting on the flight (even if you pay full Y fare).
There is a minimum time (I think 1 hour), so a flight a few minutes later doesn't qualify. Also it is only for Y on the rebooked flight. The CLE GS concierge actually pulled someone already seated to exercise this benefit for someone flying on my miles (last flight of the day, the person was also an unaccompanied minor 16 year old, so would have been unable to book a hotel room) around 3 months ago.

The Y guarantee has always been capacity controlled so it works in the case of slight overbookings but not severe overbookings.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 2:32 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by kenn0223
Also gone is the guaranteed seat availability; if there are no seats for sale you are not getting on the flight (even if you pay full Y fare).
I thought during an earlier era guranteed Y seat was a 1K benefit too, IIRC.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 5:09 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Also gone is the guaranteed seat availability; if there are no seats for sale you are not getting on the flight (even if you pay full Y fare).
On DL you have guaranteed seat on Y fare for DL platinum and diamond...it works very well domestic. I used 7 times in 2012 without fail.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 6:50 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
Originally Posted by wxalex
I have wondered about this for a while and forgive me if this is not the correct place to ask it, but my curiosity has gotten the best of me:

What is it that you guys do that you spend 50-100k on full-fare airfare during a year? Is it a lot of last minute travel for business? I do not travel that much for business, but when I do we are required to buy the cheapest ticket available.

P.S. I really am just curious, I am not trying to be hostile in any way.
my corporate policy is that on flights >8 hours, I book business class seats. That adds up quickly.

we also use PassPlus. when i use it, my fares are usually booked into M or Y fares so the auto-upgrades and/or additional PQM are nice. i've asked a friend at UA whether PassPlus Y tickets count toward GS qualification and he wasn't sure.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 7:16 am

Programs: United - GS, Hilton - Diamond, Starwood - Gold
Originally Posted by wxalex
I have wondered about this for a while and forgive me if this is not the correct place to ask it, but my curiosity has gotten the best of me:

What is it that you guys do that you spend 50-100k on full-fare airfare during a year? Is it a lot of last minute travel for business? I do not travel that much for business, but when I do we are required to buy the cheapest ticket available.

P.S. I really am just curious, I am not trying to be hostile in any way.
I am a consultant and our firm's rule is to buy refundable fares... so we are generally buying either flex or unrestricted on united. So, I usually end up with Y/B and sometimes M fares. This is because our plans often change at the last minute and we also could find out about a project the day before we are supposed to go somewhere. So, it's just easier accounting wise to buy refundable and not deal with change fees, etc. and united flight credits. I also fly nearly every week.. so it adds up!
Old Dec 25, 2012, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA-GS, AA-XP
Anyone gotten anything in the US mail regarding our new status?
Old Dec 26, 2012, 8:20 am

Programs: UA GS & Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jbharvey
Anyone gotten anything in the US mail regarding our new status?
What about existing gs's requalifying? I called and asked and was told they wouldn't let us know until January. Anyone have different info?
Old Dec 26, 2012, 8:37 am

Programs: UA GS, AC Elite, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ajhun9
What about existing gs's requalifying? I called and asked and was told they wouldn't let us know until January. Anyone have different info?
Orginally heard that existing re-quals (obvious group) would here in mid-Dec. Obviously that didn't happen as nobody on board has reported a requal notification yet. I asked when dealing with a reservation last week and also was told "end of the year". We will know soon enough.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 8:52 am

Programs: UA Global Services and 3MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond/Marriott Titanium Ambassador, Hertz PC
I heard beginning of January...
Old Dec 26, 2012, 9:52 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't bothered asking-- I usually ask for my travelers in January if I am deciding between UA or another carrier and need to know at that minute to book a ticket. Otherwise I just let everyone wait. No need to know unless there is a need to know.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA Global Services
Global Services Invitations for 2013

I asked the other day after I booked a ticket over the phone. They said renewals would come in January for current gs members.

I just passed 100k miles this week so it will be interesting to see what they do to me.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I am not sure why it takes so long to determine the "re-qualification pool" if they have a method determine the threshold for new GS qualification.

Wouldn't the requalification threshold be the same as new qualification since we are talking about the top 1% of the revenue generators?
Old Dec 27, 2012, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold / Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Wouldn't the requalification threshold be the same as new qualification since we are talking about the top 1% of the revenue generators?
From all that I have heard from GS members and read here on FT the requalification is lest strict than the initial one.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 4:12 pm

Programs: United GS 3 MM LT, Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium, HH LT Diamond
Is it based on $ spend or class of service?

Please clear something up for me. Is GS based on $ spend or class of service? If someone spends $50k on all business class tickets will he make GS while someone who spends $60k on all economy tickets not make it? Can someone make it if they only buy the lowest class fare ticket all year but spend a lot of $ on them?
Old Dec 27, 2012, 4:36 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I am not sure why it takes so long to determine the "re-qualification pool" if they have a method determine the threshold for new GS qualification.
This year is a problem because of their March merger madness and they probably need to figure out which customers who might have left or cut travel on UA are worth retaining to encourage them to come back to UA. This takes more analysis than just picking a number and handing GS out to everyone above that number which appears to be what they are doing for new members.

I'm sure they could come up with a list right now of current members whom they will surely retain, but it is the borderline members that require thought, and they want to do that thinking in January.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.