Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No longer able to split multi segments of a same-flight number?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Gold

I held a ticket with multi segments sharing one single flight number. I just called United to split the reservations, which could be easily done in the PMUA days. However, the reservation agent declined, saying that she could only sell me whatever the computer gave her. Am I getting bad luck, or splitting segments has been a thing of the past now? Thanks!
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:40 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
I held a ticket with multi segments sharing one single flight number. I just called United to split the reservations, which could be easily done in the PMUA days. However, the reservation agent declined, saying that she could only sell me whatever the computer gave her. Am I getting bad luck, or splitting segments has been a thing of the past now? Thanks!
I believe that even if it was done in the past, UA has had an internal policy (that's mileage varried based on the knowledge of the rules by the myriad of agents UA has) prohibitin agents from doing so. It would cirumvent married segment inventory control if "forced" manualy by the agent, as well as possible MCT some situations. Of course, if both segments show up on a single origin destination connection search with availability being there, then the agent should do so, collecting any service fees that may apply and additonal segment/airport taxes also being collected in the exchange process.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 12:18 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
Call back tomorrow. You will have to pay the extra $2.50 for the segment, however it should be possible.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 9:21 am

Programs: United Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bdraco
Call back tomorrow. You will have to pay the extra $2.50 for the segment, however it should be possible.
Has anyone been able to do this recently? Looking to book a situation like this and if can split, then should be a winner
Old Mar 20, 2013, 9:49 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by flykodo
Has anyone been able to do this recently? Looking to book a situation like this and if can split, then should be a winner
Have you tried just using the multi-segment search?
Old Mar 20, 2013, 10:42 am

Check the fare rules, which may limit the number of transfers. And look at the fare basis of the $60 split-up itinerary - which might be a combination of two fares, or a more permissive through fare that allows more transfers.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Have you tried just using the multi-segment search?
Yeah tried breaking out all 6 segments. Even though still available in N for all the individual segments, price comes out about $60 more. I can understand if $5 for the two extra $2.50 departure fees.

Also tried using Kayak for each segment to drop into united.com but wouldn't price out right with the exact routing I want
Old Mar 20, 2013, 10:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I did this a couple weeks ago - not a problem with the first agent I spoke with. Collected the extra segment fee, and hopefully this improves my upgrade chances as well as getting additional mileage credit.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 10:52 am

Programs: UA 1K
Yeah tried breaking out all 6 segments. Even though still available in N for all the individual segments, price comes out about $60 more. I can understand if $5 for the two extra $2.50 departure fees.
Assuming this is fare-able as two one-ways, you should probably do it that way to avoid website errors.

Once you fare it out, click through to the fare rules and see if it's showing it all on one fare. If it is, than the $60 is probably legit fees, etc., though it sounds like too much.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Assuming this is fare-able as two one-ways, you should probably do it that way to avoid website errors.

Once you fare it out, click through to the fare rules and see if it's showing it all on one fare. If it is, than the $60 is probably legit fees, etc., though it sounds like too much.
I just called and the first agent was able to split without much problem. Somehow cost $1.45 for a reissue fee and nothing more for extra airport fees

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.