Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA's generic Report lost items

Since some "Lost and Found" are operated by the airport operator, check the airport's official website for contact information
Print Wikipost

UAL Lost and Found?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2021, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bballdad175
Anyone have any tips to locate a lost item from UA194 into Munich?

A few years ago I lost my travel accessories pouch while in biz to Sydney. I emailed 1kvoice and they located it from local team and I was able to pick it up on way back out of Sydney.

But there seems to be no more 1kvoice dedicated email?
If it is still soon after the flight now, best bet is to call and hope you get an agent who knows how to find a phone to contact the local station manager. Some agents either don't know how or can't be bothered, in which case you should HUCA.

After maybe a day or so, I think you are at the mercy of UA's lost and found system. I would not rely on the 1kvoice email at all to do things with any need for urgency, these days.

Good luck.
Old May 16, 2022, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Guate87
I am happy for you. Maybe because I am a lowly 1K, and not Global Services...? I called the airport about an hour after landing at LAS, while driving my rental toward Zion NP.

My question was "Other than electronics..." because it seems that only electronics are returned.

The first time was in 2017 (on a return flight from HKG), the second in 2019 (on a return from CUN) and the third time was on March 15, 2021 (ORD to LAS).

Every time I was flying in First/Business, each time I filled out the online form within a few hours after landing, and I also walked to lost and found luggage as well as to the checkin counters. I replied, emailed and called multiple times.

Maybe because I am a lowly 1K, and not Global Services...?

Based on this thread, only electronics are returned.

Again, these were clothes in a clothes bag, with my United Elite tag containing my Mileage Plus number, phone number and address. Twice I left clothes in the Business/First closet, the last time in the overhead bin over 1E/1F.

It has been four years since my first incident but I am still waiting, patiently...
1K Line is definitely helpful. I just left my AirPods behind and while gate agents nearby basically {were unhelpful}, I called 1K and they tried to get some help by calling around before telling me to fill out the form.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 16, 2022 at 4:13 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
My father filed a claim in January 2020 for the Kindle he left behind returning from New Zealand.

TODAY, UA Lost and Found emailed him to let him know they found it....2 1/2 years later. Zero acknowledgement or apology for the 2.5 year delay in responding. But, instead, a link whereby he can pay for the shipping to have it returned. He needs to take action in the next 30 days or lose it. Yes, after having it for 2.5 years, they now are under some time crunch that expires in 30 days.

Equally maddening, entertaining, and, frankly, embarrassing.
Say Vandelay and zombietooth like this.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 9:48 am

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
Forgotten item on a UAL flight

I stupidly left a shopping bag onboard a UAL flight last night. Didn't realize until I got home!

What is the best means to (hopefully) get this back? I've phoned, they directed me to fill out a l&f report, which I've done.

Is there any 'best practice' that you'd recommend otherwise? I'm close to the destination airport so I could go there to retrieve it....

Thanks
Old Nov 27, 2022, 4:37 pm

Programs: United Global Services
Originally Posted by rrz518

Is there any 'best practice' that you'd recommend otherwise? I'm close to the destination airport so I could go there to retrieve it....

Thanks
I can only provide you the wisdom of my experiences.

On 3 different occasions, I've left the following items on flights: 1 iPad + Bose headphones; 1 iPad; and 1 mini-iPad. All ended up in Lost & Found at SFO (my final destination airport). In 2 instances, I returned to SFO baggage claim and filled out the form the same day I discovered they were missing (which was the same day I travelled) and in 1 instance, I did it online but 1 day later after I had left the item onboard. I don't know if being Global Services helped but all items were returned within 1 or 2 days. On another occasion, I left my Bose headphones in the seat back pocket. I never saw them, again (even after completing the L&F form).

In another example, a friend (with no status on UA) left his computer on his SFO-IAH flight (IAH was his final destination) and realized it after he got home. He had no experience in flying so I told him to return to baggage claim at IAH and fill out a form. He said he did it online. I told him that was good, but physically return to IAH and fill out the form with a baggage claim attendant. I also called United (since I'm GS), gave them my friend's information. I have no idea if that helped, but his computer was found and delivered to him 4 days later.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 8:27 am

Programs: United 1K, United 1MM, HH Diamond
United lost property frustration

My stupid self left an ipad pro at the side of my Polaris seat when I got off the plane last saturday. Realised an hour later when I got home. Called United, called the airport, couldn't get any action before the flight took off again with the ipad still in the seat. Given a modern apple device I can track location, over the next few days it went EDI->EWR->MCO->EWR->LAX where it was obviously discovered and could be tracked to the united terminal at LAX, where its been since Monday. I filled out the forms, gave them a description (has identifying stickers on it and on lock screen), gave them a screenshot of location, gave them serial number.

At this point it's pretty hard for them to not find it, however I can't seem to get any movement from United at all - just keep getting the automated email saying they haven't found it. Has anyone been through this process? Is there anything I can do to get someone to take any action to actually return the device to me? To this minute I can track it to a location between terminals 7 and 8 at LAX, at what looks like United's baggage area.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 9, 2022 at 10:17 am Reason: Moved to subject thread
Old Dec 9, 2022, 8:42 am

Programs: 12 year UAL GS, LT Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium, AA Plat Pro
Unfortunately, I had a similar situation with an Iphone that I left in the EWR Polaris lounge several years ago on my way to Dehli for a business trip. Similar experience to what you have described. Never saw it again.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 8:53 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt
I did this with an iPad I left on a plane going to Cancun last year. Filled out the forms, updated information and never heard anything.

After whatever time they indicate they will keep looking (30 days?) still no iPad. I ordered a replacement a few days later. Within hours of buying the new one I got an email from United that they found my iPad and I just needed to pay the cost of shipping to have it returned.

good news for my daughter who was thinking of buying a new iPad but instead received my relatively new iPad when it arrived from United.
WVmike likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 9:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by GreigM
Has anyone been through this process?
Yes, several people {see this thread}

IME (at least 5 years ago): trust in the system they have: it is not as fast as you are hoping, but it does work.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 9, 2022 at 10:17 am Reason: {see this thread} -- cleanup after thread move
Old Dec 9, 2022, 9:22 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

At this point it's pretty hard for them to not find it, however I can't seem to get any movement from United at all - just keep getting the automated email saying they haven't found it. Has anyone been through this process? Is there anything I can do to get someone to take any action to actually return the device to me? To this minute I can track it to a location between terminals 7 and 8 at LAX, at what looks like United's baggage area.
I've been thru the process and it did not end up well - never got my device. You'll either have to show up at LAX, give it more time, or get a new device.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I've been thru the process and it did not end up well - never got my device. You'll either have to show up at LAX, give it more time, or get a new device.
I also agree proactive is much better than waiting for it. I've tried the lost & found process for more inconsequential items and never received them back. When I left an electronic device on board once, I made a focused effort to get in touch with the station manager, who was able to retrieve it and hold overnight. It took about 90 minutes of calling with help from a couple agents, but it was obviously well worthwhile. I'm very grateful to the staff who helped me.

Given the device is showing at LAX, it's likely that UA has it and might do something eventually, but I would advise making a concerted attempt to get a hold of someone there who can take direct action.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 10:38 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
My stupid self left an ipad pro at the side of my Polaris seat when I got off the plane last saturday. Realised an hour later when I got home. Called United, called the airport, couldn't get any action before the flight took off again with the ipad still in the seat. Given a modern apple device I can track location, over the next few days it went EDI->EWR->MCO->EWR->LAX where it was obviously discovered and could be tracked to the united terminal at LAX, where its been since Monday. I filled out the forms, gave them a description (has identifying stickers on it and on lock screen), gave them a screenshot of location, gave them serial number.

I had same thing happen with my iPad. In my case after leaving it on board in SFO I "followed" it to OAK where UA has its local service yard as apparently the jet was up for some kind of routine maintenance. I call the OAK UA service yard and they found my iPad in minutes (I told them what seat I was in). Drove to OAK the next day and picked it up. I don't know exactly where you phone is from the image above but it seems like it is now in some adm office / baggage claim. I would call baggage claim at LAX ASAP, sometimes they hold stuff there thinking it was a recent passenger just off the flight.
cfischer likes this.

Last edited by nomad420; Dec 9, 2022 at 11:06 am Reason: typo
Old Dec 9, 2022, 11:24 am

I once left my phone in one of the pockets I think bc my family and I were split up bw biz and E+ and I was moving back and forth on a 787. Realized my error <1h after disembarking plane. Called everyone at the airport and spoke with people in person and told them where it was. No help. Was told I would get it in due course after completing the forms even though it would have been really simple to just check the seat. Went to my connecting flight at a diff gate and voilla--same bird. I retrieved my phone!

That is the only time I have reunited with my items. Every other time lost including a very nice jacket that had a $100 bill in it.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I left my secondary iPhone on a flight recently and realized it when I go them. Bought refundable ticket to get through security and the gate agent had it. Thank goodness.

Turn on and read those left behind notifications Apple sends is the moral of the story.

Good luck - you might be able to get an FTer to retrieve for you, may help to gift for their kindness if they do.
Old Dec 10, 2022, 9:13 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
This doesn't help for devices already lost, but it can help for any devices lost in the furture.

https://idmystuff.com/ sells custom lables for $9.95 per sheet (29 lables). I customize with my name, phone number, and email address then put a label on anything of value that travels with me. I've been using them for quite a few years and the labels stay attached for a long time.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.