Wiki Posts
Search

The cause for gate lice?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SFOFastAir
The policy is to make a pre-board announcement 5 min before boarding briefly outlining the boarding process and carry-on bag limitations (i.e., one plus one personal item). Pre-boarding for disabled persons, GS, uniform military, BG 1-3 can use Premier Access lane BG 4-7 use the Economy Lane, CC holder's Priority Boarding is reflected in BG on BP. If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both can board with the earlier group.

Note: MileagePlus Club Card & Presidential Plus Card are BG3 and may use the Premier Access lane
MileagePlus Explorer Card, MileagePlus Awards Card, & OnePass Plus Card members are BG4 and use the Economy lane

When boarding begins you are to call out just the BG number and lane to use. Each group is supposed to be called separately and BPs with Premier Access can use the Premier Access Lane any time after their group is called.

If this an important issue for you rather just ranting on FT I suggest you print up a bunch of the following and either hand it to a United Customer Service supervisor or send to:

United Airlines - Manager Customer Service
United Airlines (airport name)
(City the airport is located)

If you feel the need to contact excecutive/senior managment:
Martin Hand - Senior Vice President Customer Experience
Scott O’Leary - Managing director, customer solutions
Jonathan (Jon) Roitman - Senior Vice President Airport Operations and Cargo United
Cynthia Szadokierski - Vice President Airport Operations: Americas, Asia and Europe

PO Box 66100
Chicago, IL 60666

On my flight UA ______ on ________________ at _________ I observed the following:

___ CSR did not provide a pre-boarding announcment

___ CSR did not announce pre-boarding for: ___ disabled; ___ Global Service; ___ Uniform Military

___ CSR called for pre-board groups and Boarding Group 1 together

___ CSR called Boarding Groups 1 - 3 together

___ CSR did not call each boarding group separately

___ CSR did not allow for a reasonable pause between calling boarding groups

___ CSR did not enforce boarding groups

___ CSR did not direct Boarding Groups 1 - 3 to the Premier Access lane

___ CSR did not direct Boarding Groups 4 - 7 to the Economy lane

___ CSR made confusing or rambling boarding announcements

___ The overhead Gate Information Display was not used to display boarding groups
^

Great idea. How about adding:

___ CSR did not keep the boarding area clear
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
A lot of times, the problem with priority bags is with the airport employees and baggage handling system not with UA or its employees. In some airports it works really well. ORD seems to be the worst. I've waited 40 plus minutes flying in on GF. Never check bags anymore.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:37 pm

Programs: General member, former 1P
SFOFastAir for president. A+++++
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:40 pm

For easy cut and paste. Reformatted with no spaces for 3 on one 8 1/2" x 11" sheet for those with multiple connections. Corrected announcement typo. Shortened GS to GS to conserve space. Added "CSR did not keep the boarding area clear." Added "No problems". Use a small 12 point or 11 point font and you will have one item per line.

On my flight UA ______ on ________________ at _________ I observed the following:
___ CSR did not keep the boarding area clear
___ CSR did not provide a pre-boarding announcement
___ CSR did not announce pre-boarding for: ___ disabled; ___ GS; ___ Uniform Military
___ CSR did not call each boarding group separately
___ CSR did not allow for a reasonable pause between calling boarding groups
___ CSR did not enforce boarding groups
___ The overhead Gate Information Display was not used to display boarding groups
___ No problems

Last edited by TomA; Nov 27, 2012 at 12:57 pm
Old Nov 27, 2012, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Fixed some typos

Originally Posted by TomA
For easy cut and paste. Reformatted with no spaces for 3 on one 8 1/2" x 11" sheet for those with multiple connections. Corrected announcement typo. Shortened GS to GS to conserve space. Added "CSR did not keep the boarding area clear." Added "No problems". Use a small 12 point or 11 point font and you will have one item per line.

___ CSR did not attempt to keep the boarding area clear
___ CSR did not provide a pre-boarding announcement
___ CSR did not announce pre-boarding for: ___ disabled; ___ GS; ___ Uniformed Military
___ CSR did not call each Boarding Group separately
___ CSR did not allow for a reasonable pause between calling Boarding Groups
___ CSR did not enforce Boarding Groups
___ The overhead Gate Information Display was not used to display Boarding Groups
___ No problems
Old Nov 27, 2012, 1:25 pm

Programs: MP,MR Silver,Avis
SFO, thanks for the breakdown. I'm glad to hear an official policy on the Group 4 boarding lane. Half the time we're told to board via the priority lane, and half the time via the regular lane, and I never knew which was correct. Of course, I finally find this out with only 2 segments to go before Silver.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 1:34 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Originally Posted by GregMM
SFO, thanks for the breakdown. I'm glad to hear an official policy on the Group 4 boarding lane. Half the time we're told to board via the priority lane, and half the time via the regular lane, and I never knew which was correct. Of course, I finally find this out with only 2 segments to go before Silver.
Here is the Official United posting of the boarding process.

https://hub.united.com/en-us/News/Co...g-process.aspx
Old Nov 27, 2012, 2:24 pm

FYI, I did hear at the United DO that they know the current boarding process (sub group for GS plus Groups 1-7) isn't working, and that they are in the process of rolling out a change. ETA or details are unknown at this time.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 2:53 pm

Make things easier. Preboard only the handicapped. The military thing is silly and just adds more words and confusion with very little benefit to anyone--there is rarely anyone to take advantage of this--I'd say it is more a jingoistic marketing ploy than anything else. Most flights have only 1 or 2 GS.

Collapse the rest of the groups into pairs. 1. GS/1K/F - 2. Plat/Gold/C - 3. Silver and CCs - 4. E+ 5. E- (Another benefit of E+)

Splitting C from group 1 would also help to limit that huge group 1 line on international flights.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Jorgen
Y'know, eventually I figured out that it's better to spend an extra five, ten or even fifteen minutes at my destination waiting for my checked bag than it is to spend an extra half-hour sitting in a lousy seat on a lousy plane while I wait for everyone else to climb onboard.

Last to board is always best. .
+1

If I'm not the very last person, I failed.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 4:16 pm

For all the ridicule that people throw their way about the "cattle call" boarding process, I've found Southwest Airlines to have the most logical and orderly boarding process of any airline in the US.

Granted, you still have folks who don't follow the rules, but I haven't had a particular problem with that. You have an exact boarding position assigned to you, so you know exactly when to line up (and they have screens above the gate telling you, as well), exactly where to stand, and the exact order (give or take a couple of people) in which you will board.

Meanwhile, on my flights last week (one with UA, one with UAX/Skywest, one with QX and one with AA), the boarding process was just a giant cluster screw on the mainline flights (UA and AA both 737s, so not a significant difference in the total number of passengers vs. a 137/143-seat WN 737) where you had to plow your way through the crowd just standing around waiting for their group to be called (not technically "in line" but they wanted to be first "in line" once their group was called).

It's a bit ironic that Southwest, the one airline where boarding first actually means something (because you get a better choice of seats) has a more organized boarding process than airlines where there isn't as significant of a benefit of boarding early (the overhead bin space issue applies equally to both airlines, so I don't count that).
Old Nov 27, 2012, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Originally Posted by TomA
Make things easier. Preboard only the handicapped. The military thing is silly and just adds more words and confusion with very little benefit to anyone--there is rarely anyone to take advantage of this--I'd say it is more a jingoistic marketing ploy than anything else. Most flights have only 1 or 2 GS.

Collapse the rest of the groups into pairs. 1. GS/1K/F - 2. Plat/Gold/C - 3. Silver and CCs - 4. E+ 5. E- (Another benefit of E+)

Splitting C from group 1 would also help to limit that huge group 1 line on international flights.
+1. I agree with this. Even as a GS, I think the pre-boarding is more confusing than it's worth and confusing to Group 1 people. Rarely do i see uniformed military personnel on a flight (i realize this is more common in a few particular stations).
Old Nov 27, 2012, 4:27 pm

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by benblaney
+1

If I'm not the very last person, I failed.
One of these days, you and I are going to miss our flight as we glare at each other across the gate lounge.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 4:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Jorgen
Y'know, eventually I figured out that it's better to spend an extra five, ten or even fifteen minutes at my destination waiting for my checked bag ....
As someone who appears to use SFO, surprised you have ever seen your bag at SFO within 15 minutes of getting to the bag carousals -- I only check a few times each year but I consider 30 minutes waiting at SFO to be better than average. I have done 45-50 minutes more than once.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 4:47 pm

Programs: MP,MR Silver,Avis
Originally Posted by SFOFastAir
Here is the Official United posting of the boarding process.
Thanks, but that doesn't say which lane to use if you are group 4.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.