Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Help in Calcualting UA Miles We'll Earn on US Airways Flights

Help in Calcualting UA Miles We'll Earn on US Airways Flights

Old Nov 21, 12, 12:16 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,188
Help in Calcualting UA Miles We'll Earn on US Airways Flights

Do I understand the chart on http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mark...spx?ItemId=308 correctly, that for a future trip, booked through US Airways (want to apply all flights to earn United MileagePlus miles, nothing for US):
1) Flying TAM economy Class within Brazil (FOR-GIG-FOR) we'll earn 100% of miles (1350 each way) for United.
2) Flying US Envoy (Biz) Class between GIG and CLT, we'll earn 125% of miles flown.
3) Flying US First Class from CLT to SFO and UA First Class SFO to OGG we'll earn 150% of miles flown.
(We're flying AS from Hawaii back to the mainland).

Have I got this right?


Would have flown UA all the way from GIG or GRU, but it was several hundred dollars more, and wife wanted to try the new US Airbus on the international section.
SoCal is offline  
Old Nov 21, 12, 12:26 pm
  #2  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 2,036
Originally Posted by SoCal View Post
Do I understand the chart on http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mark...spx?ItemId=308 correctly, that for a future trip, booked through US Airways (want to apply all flights to earn United MileagePlus miles, nothing for US):
1) Flying TAM economy Class within Brazil (FOR-GIG-FOR) we'll earn 100% of miles (1350 each way) for United.
2) Flying US Envoy (Biz) Class between GIG and CLT, we'll earn 125% of miles flown.
3) Flying US First Class from CLT to SFO and UA First Class SFO to OGG we'll earn 150% of miles flown.
(We're flying AS from Hawaii back to the mainland).

Have I got this right?
Are you asking asking redeemable miles or elite qualifying miles? For RDM, you're correct. For EQM, you might be earning more depending on the fare class.
SFOPhD is offline  
Old Nov 21, 12, 12:31 pm
  #3  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Close to the beach
Programs: AA EP, UA 1K, DL GM, Tumlare Bussresor Super Class
Posts: 6,974
If you know which fare class(es) you are booked in, you can use this tool to calculate the RDM and EQM: http://www.wandr.me/Tools/Advanced_Trip_Calculator.aspx
Vunder31 is offline  
Old Nov 21, 12, 12:37 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,188
Originally Posted by SFOPhD View Post
Are you asking asking redeemable miles or elite qualifying miles? For RDM, you're correct. For EQM, you might be earning more depending on the fare class.
Yes, redeemable miles were my primary concern. With the miles I earn I would normally move from Silver to Gold, but the new rule about having to fly 4 UA operated flights in a year may get me.

Last edited by SoCal; Nov 21, 12 at 12:49 pm
SoCal is offline  
Old Nov 21, 12, 2:15 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: ORD
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 16,008
This is easy. At present you'll receive ZERO miles for any flights taken on US as they never post.
milepig is offline  
Old Nov 21, 12, 2:28 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NYC
Programs: UA Silver
Posts: 38
Originally Posted by milepig View Post
This is easy. At present you'll receive ZERO miles for any flights taken on US as they never post.
Wow, you're right.

I just checked my UA account to see if the US flights I took with my GF had posted. Guess what? Not one of the four flights have posted to my account.

Is that why US doesn't let you use mobile boarding passes if you're flying with more than one passenger? At least, I have the paper boarding passes.
juanomatic is offline  
Old Nov 21, 12, 2:36 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Jersey Shore/YYZ
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Posts: 12,361
Originally Posted by SoCal View Post
Yes, redeemable miles were my primary concern. With the miles I earn I would normally move from Silver to Gold, but the new rule about having to fly 4 UA operated flights in a year may get me.
?? If you're already Silver, you met the requirement. Perhaps you own the United Club card?
aacharya is online now  
Old Nov 21, 12, 2:37 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: ORD
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 16,008
Originally Posted by juanomatic View Post
Wow, you're right.

I just checked my UA account to see if the US flights I took with my GF had posted. Guess what? Not one of the four flights have posted to my account.

Is that why US doesn't let you use mobile boarding passes if you're flying with more than one passenger? At least, I have the paper boarding passes.
There's a long thread here (up to 51 pages at the moment):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ng-thread.html

bottom line is you don't need your boarding passes, but after 15 days have passed you can fill out an online form and then wait somemore. The form asks for obscure things like Booking Code (which doesn't appear on my receipt) and Seat Number, which I didn't have since we changed seats at checkin and then did paperless BPs. I finally had to call US and got a wonderful agent who said "is there something going on, I've been getting a lot of these calls."
milepig is offline  
Old Nov 21, 12, 3:41 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Austin, tx, USA
Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5-star, Marriott Gold
Posts: 256
Originally Posted by milepig View Post
This is easy. At present you'll receive ZERO miles for any flights taken on US as they never post.
That's strange. Miles from my Sunday flights posted today. Of course, that was an award ticket and I shouldn't have gotten miles, but I'm not going to argue...
octopic is offline  
Old Nov 21, 12, 4:37 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Jersey Shore/YYZ
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Posts: 12,361
Originally Posted by octopic View Post
That's strange. Miles from my Sunday flights posted today. Of course, that was an award ticket and I shouldn't have gotten miles, but I'm not going to argue...
Were you rebooked/was there a major schedule change?

Was it a different airline, I imagine?
aacharya is online now  
Old Nov 22, 12, 5:38 am
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,188
Originally Posted by milepig View Post
This is easy. At present you'll receive ZERO miles for any flights taken on US as they never post.
Not true in my experience.
SoCal is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread