Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question about RPU with a SDC

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:33 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Weez_1000
That doesn't address what happens at T-24. We've had people say in this thread it drops and you go to CPU at T-24 (with an example given), we've also heard it sticks and gives you a higher priority on the wait list. So its clear this is a YMMV but I would love to hear from UAInsider or anyone clearly knows what is "supposed" to happen.
Originally Posted by CASAFlyer
"Within five days" formally includes T-24...
Originally Posted by CASAFlyer
The current upgrade priority is well discused on FT and clearly spelled out by UA at: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...e/default.aspx

"The following is the order of priority, within five days, on flights that are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades:

1) Premier members on eligible Y- and B-class fares, as well as Premier 1K members on M-class fares: Instant upgrades that weren't confirmed in advance, sorted by fare class, then Premier status

2) All travelers on waitlisted Global Premier Upgrades, Regional Premier Upgrades, and MileagePlus Upgrade Awards: Sorted by Premier status of the redeeming account, then fare class and time of request

3) All remaining Premier members using Complimentary Premier Upgrades**: Sorted by Premier status, then fare class and award travel***"

I know UA upgrade priority but when it gets to T-24 I personally have experienced differences, I have read differences, thus it is different. In reality the published UA upgrade priority doesn't cover T-24. It wasn't until recent months until we were even able to apply upgrades at T-24, thus I don't have confidence in upgrade priority for region 1.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by schley
I know UA upgrade priority but when it gets to T-24 I personally have experienced differences, I have read differences, thus it is different. In reality the published UA upgrade priority doesn't cover T-24. It wasn't until recent months until we were even able to apply upgrades at T-24, thus I don't have confidence in upgrade priority for region 1.
Exactly, i wish it were as easy as that but it's not.

Edit: Well im going to find out, had an RPU waitlisted for 3 weeks on IAH-EWR on a flight tomorrow. Just cleared at about T-16. I will call in a few days to ask. I also went over 125K about 3 weeks ago and the additional RPU's havent been deposited. How long does this normally take? I seem to recall the 6 SWU's when i reached 100K were inside 24 hours.

Last edited by Weez_1000; Dec 13, 2012 at 12:27 pm
Old Oct 15, 2014, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Similar issues yesterday. 1K, JFK-SFO-LAX-JFK ticket purchased 3 weeks ago, emergency exit row window seats reserved, RPUs on both PS flights requested immediately after ticket purchase, JFK-SFO cleared 4 days prior, LAX-JFK still waitlisted. 2 days prior flew SFO-LAX standby 2 hrs earlier, took the gate agents a long time to accomplish the standby change. Wanted to depart LAX later than 1155 yesterday (without additional fee), at T-20 seat assignment now E- row 32 middle seat, 2rd of 5 or 6 on upgrade waitlist, called, requested SDC, told same fare class not available, asked about “one time exception” for SDC to different fare class, told impossible, is a “firing offense”, called again, told impossible again, requested supervisor, asked for 1300 or 1623 flight, put in more expensive fare class at no charge on 1623 flight “looks like that flight has a better chance for the RPU to clear”, not on RPU waitlist for new flight. Called 3 times (approx 19, 18 and 7 hrs prior to new flight), each agent told me RPU impossible with SDC. Arrived at airport early enough for 1300 or 1623 LAX-JFK flights, asked UA Agent club about RPU usage or waitlist for either flight, was told impossible due to SDC. Standby for 1300 flight, only middles in E- available, removed myself from standby list. Asked a different UA Club agent about RPU usage/waitlist for 1623 flight, she said “I see it was dropped but it should not have been, let me call 1K desk”, I got a cup of coffee, 5-10 minutes later she said “okay, you’re on the list”, checked and I was # 10 of 11. Got the idea that my priority on the list did not properly reflect status and fare class (maybe somehow I was booked into a more expensive fare class but for RPU priority it was input at a lower fare class?).

So, long painful story, morals of which are: RPU waitlisting sometimes does not move with a SDC, many agents seem to be misinformed, once a RPU does move the priority may be erroneous and when requesting changes to a UA ticket be prepared for a long and frustrating process.

Questions:
After a SDC, should RPU (and presumably GPU also) waitlisting carry over to the new flight waitlist?
If the answer to the question above is “yes”, what’s the best way to correct the situation if it does not?
Should priority (on waitlist) change due to SDC?

(Yes, I absolutely should have re-checked my seat assignment immediately after the previous standby flight. Another lesson learned. Gotta stay right on top of this stuff, it’s like a full time job.)
Old Oct 15, 2014, 2:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Questions:
After a SDC, should RPU (and presumably GPU also) waitlisting carry over to the new flight waitlist?
If the answer to the question above is “yes”, what’s the best way to correct the situation if it does not?
Should priority (on waitlist) change due to SDC?
You cannot be added to the waitlist within 24 hours of departure. That's a basic rule. If there's no open R to confirm into on the new flight, you are out of luck. (Unless an agent does you a favor, as apparently one did for you, and added you to the waitlist despite that being against the rules.)

It would have been proper for UA to charge you for the upfare. SDC waives the change fee, it doesn't waive fare differential.

Your results were 100% predictable.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 1:17 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Want to confirm: If a flight I want to SDC to doesn't have my original fare class, but has RN/R space, I can't switch to that despite having an RPU applied?

I would have to have both the original fare class to SDC (without fare difference) and then RN/R space to clear immediately? (and the best way to clear immediately without having to reapply is via phone?)
Old Dec 13, 2014, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by transparent
Want to confirm: If a flight I want to SDC to doesn't have my original fare class, but has RN/R space, I can't switch to that despite having an RPU applied?

I would have to have both the original fare class to SDC (without fare difference) and then RN/R space to clear immediately? (and the best way to clear immediately without having to reapply is via phone?)
No, original fare class must still be available to SDC.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 7:40 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
No, original fare class must still be available to SDC.
Well actually you can still, SDC, you'll just to upfare to the next available fare bucket. The change fee is waived, the fare differential is not.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
You cannot be added to the waitlist within 24 hours of departure. That's a basic rule. If there's no open R to confirm into on the new flight, you are out of luck. (Unless an agent does you a favor, as apparently one did for you, and added you to the waitlist despite that being against the rules.)

It would have been proper for UA to charge you for the upfare. SDC waives the change fee, it doesn't waive fare differential.

Your results were 100% predictable.
That was what I assumed. Got screwed by a mechanical delay so I couldn't catch the HNL-EWR. They didn't rebook me into R next night, but put a First class standby into the next evening non-stop.

Seeing the flight was sold out in First, I SDCed into the HNL-ORD. It almost immediately put myself into Business. Yet, the reservation indicated it was cleared with RPU. However, highly doubted that as the other segments were waitlist as CPU.

I should be able to get that RPU back right?
Old Mar 6, 2016, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
That was what I assumed. Got screwed by a mechanical delay so I couldn't catch the HNL-EWR. They didn't rebook me into R next night, but put a First class standby into the next evening non-stop.

Seeing the flight was sold out in First, I SDCed into the HNL-ORD. It almost immediately put myself into Business. Yet, the reservation indicated it was cleared with RPU. However, highly doubted that as the other segments were waitlist as CPU.

I should be able to get that RPU back right?
Did you do the SDC by phone or some automated method? The RPU won't transfer to a new itinerary without agent intervention so if this was by App, kiosk, etc., it probably was a CPU.

But hard to predict whether you can get the RPU back. I'd be concerned their default reaction may be "you got the upgrade, why should we give the RPU back?"
Old Mar 6, 2016, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Did you do the SDC by phone or some automated method? The RPU won't transfer to a new itinerary without agent intervention so if this was by App, kiosk, etc., it probably was a CPU.

But hard to predict whether you can get the RPU back. I'd be concerned their default reaction may be "you got the upgrade, why should we give the RPU back?"
It was an app. Fortunately, The UA IT deposited the RPU back. What a tough break last weekend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.