Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA1K AA EXP--have both--choose 1

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
I like AAdmirals Club lounges better than United Clubs. All the hub AC lounges (DFW, ORD, MIA, JFK, LAX) have showers. Only the ex-CO hubs (EWR and IAH) have showers. So ORD, IAD, SFO, DEN UCs have no showers.

As for domestic upgrades, AA upgrade list is based on elite level and then time of request. UA upgrade list is based on elite level, fare class and then time of request. As a UA PLT, you are 3rd elite level from the top. UA also has "Regional Upgrades" that elites will use for domestic upgrades in advance, further lowering chances of complimentary upgrades close to the day of departure.

The benefit of UA is the extensive Star Alliance network outside the US and the greater number of international routes to Europe/Asia on UA metal, compared to AA.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
As noted, UG % will dip, but I actually prefer the average UC over the average AC (not counting Flagship Lounges and the like where AA is clearly better)

I'm already dropping $400 for a club membership - don't like having to pay for add'l food in an AC. Free booze is crap too. So while an AC is generally nicer (and haven't felt as crowded, though YMMV), I'd take the UC overall.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your UG will go down - pretty much expected given lower status level. If you gain 1K things will get better especially from DEN. Good news is that from DEN it's mostly nonstop flights of less than 3h and E+ is an acceptable alternative. More good news is that unlike AA +1 on your PNR will be upgraded with you.

Lounges are the same IME - it's not so much AC vs UC but location, time of day etc that drive occupancy and personal experience.

Also UA miles will be much easier to redeem to most places; you'll be able to redeem to EU etc without bizarre surcharges of BA and as Plat there are no change fees.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I'd say your chances of comp upgrading from a UA hub city are next to nil even as a 1K. Too many connecting passengers who will have priority over you as they pass through the hub, and too many 1Ks competing if originating at the hub. You're much better off as an AA ExecPlat continuing with AA even if it means a connection to get most places. But you'll be able to sit in E+, though no comp BoB or drinks (other than the 5 or 10 vouchers you get as a Plat of 1K).
Old Dec 5, 2012, 7:02 am

Programs: AA EXP MM/UA MM/Marriott PLT Premier-LT PLT
UA1K AA EXP--have both--choose 1

Decision just made. Using AA into and out of SFO is not the type of guaranteed EXP upgrade that many talk of, but at least you have a real shot at it. For this weeks trip my upgrade to ORD cleared at 72 hours which is really unthinkable on the UA I left.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 7:09 am

Programs: UA
My decisions is still open and will depend on my next international C experience. I booked a FRA - DFW - DEN flight on AA and then back via LHR on BA. Unfortunately only noticed afterwards no F on the AA flight so here goes another upgrade to waste :-).
I am curious how I will like the C experience on AA, up to now only did BA and I liked their hard product (more privacy).
Old Dec 14, 2012, 5:10 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Shareholder
I'd say your chances of comp upgrading from a UA hub city are next to nil even as a 1K. Too many connecting passengers who will have priority over you as they pass through the hub, and too many 1Ks competing if originating at the hub. You're much better off as an AA ExecPlat continuing with AA even if it means a connection to get most places. But you'll be able to sit in E+, though no comp BoB or drinks (other than the 5 or 10 vouchers you get as a Plat of 1K).
I'm doing the AA challenge now and have been shocked by the upgrade rates between hubs. NYC-ORD, NYC-DFW. On 5 segments I've gotten 4 upgrades. I know it's a small number but all the other flights I had that weren't hub to hub it's been 100% upgrade rate. As a UA 1K for the past 2 years I've flow. NYC-ORD maybe 30 times and never ever received a CPU. There are always like 4 GS on each flight. On NYC-IAH I'm also under 50%. I do not agree about having problems upgrading to other cities though. I'm probably at like 75-80% on flights that aren't hub to hub.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kmzandrew
I'm doing the AA challenge now and have been shocked by the upgrade rates between hubs. NYC-ORD, NYC-DFW. On 5 segments I've gotten 4 upgrades. I know it's a small number but all the other flights I had that weren't hub to hub it's been 100% upgrade rate. As a UA 1K for the past 2 years I've flow. NYC-ORD maybe 30 times and never ever received a CPU. There are always like 4 GS on each flight. On NYC-IAH I'm also under 50%. I do not agree about having problems upgrading to other cities though. I'm probably at like 75-80% on flights that aren't hub to hub.
SOP IMO - have yet to miss a CPU-equivalent on AA. And they always come at the windows IME. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.