Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Refused to add 1K to upgrade standby list on reward ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refused to add 1K to upgrade standby list on reward ticket

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2012, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by zigenbock
This is very hit and miss. It used to be the XN/X thing, but that seems to have been fixed, however, I find that if you don't get upgraded during the upgrade windows - then it won't happen. When you check in a T-24 I have NEVER had it add me to the upgrade standby list. I am sick of talking to the GA's about it, as they still don't know. Last flight I had was last week - not added to SB list. Sent a message after the fact and they gave me some miles as compensation.....
++1...the XN/X thing is fixed and people ARE being EUA'd on reward tickets (regularly)....the point is, if you do not get the EUA, it isn't going to happen...enjoy your E+ seat in that case.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by idriveuride
The inconsistency is driven by the Gold/1K/etc lines. UA policy as it relates to upgrades is clear, AWARD TRAVEL = NOT ELIGIBLE. No questions or grey area. period.

The only way around this has nothing to do with eligibility, or the CPU policy. That the fees are paid using the range of eligible UA branded Chase cards and the card presented upon check-in.

Apples and Oranges, unrelated to each other. Award ticket = Not eligible for CPU. Chase branded card = eligible for upgrade for award reservations.

I don't make the rules and agree that it is back a$$wardl but, it is what it is.
I'm not sure what you're argument is. Award tickets are CPU-eligible if the award ticket fees are paid with the correct Chase card. They are cleared as defined by the CPU process within the CPU window prior to T-24, and from the wait list (if you get on it) inside T-24. Award tickets, if fees paid by correct card, are upgraded in the CPU process. I've had award tickets upgraded in both situations, and they are cleared by a defined CPU process where award tickets are upgraded within elite levels, first by fare class, then award tickets.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Nov 5, 2012 at 9:15 pm
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:40 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
do they reward tickets have to be issued by UA? can a ticket issued by aeroplan for a chase-card holder 1k passenger be eligible for upgrade?
i cant find any information for not allowing it.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:00 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pbd456
do they reward tickets have to be issued by UA? can a ticket issued by aeroplan for a chase-card holder 1k passenger be eligible for upgrade?
i cant find any information for not allowing it.
This is a MP program benefit
Premier members who are primary cardholders for certain Chase-issued credit cards are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades when traveling on award tickets on United-operated flights.
Passengers on award tickets from another program are not designated MP members.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:27 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This is a MP program benefit

Passengers on award tickets from another program are not designated MP members.
I am a premier member, and i have aeroplan miles. i can certainly add my UA number on the reservation, right?

I am a premier member, and i have aeroplan miles. i can certainly add my UA number on the reservation, right?
i guess. NH ticket and UA coded flight has CPU as long as the passenger put their MP number in the reservation, right?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 6, 2012 at 12:41 am Reason: merge
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:59 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

i guess. NH ticket and UA coded flight has CPU as long as the passenger put their MP number in the reservation, right?
On a paid ticket yes, don't think you can on a non-UA MP award ticket.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 8:04 am

Paying the fees with the card has nothing to do with it.

I have the Presidential Plus and the old MP Select. I always pay for my tickets on UA.com with the select card because you get EQMs for tickets purchased on UA.com with that card.

I have been EUAed on award tickets as a result of my Presidential Plus card because I have the card and it shows in my UA profile.

When I don't get cleared via the EUA, then I never show up on the battle ground UG list similar to what others experience and have had to fight with airport staff to get added.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 9:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
++1...the XN/X thing is fixed and people ARE being EUA'd on reward tickets (regularly)....the point is, if you do not get the EUA, it isn't going to happen...enjoy your E+ seat in that case.
The key is to find a staff member who will work with you to get you on the list. They may be few and far between - but they are able to do it.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If some posters have convinced themselves that they can't get a CPU on an award ticket (and have the requisite Chase card), let them be. Someone else will reap the benefit.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
I went through this in Portland, OR (PDX) with an extremely rude set up gate agents. 3 of them were adamant the policy didn't exist, one of them set out to prove me wrong. Finally, he found the wording (above) on the web site - proving me right. It was very frustrating.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 2:41 pm
Original Member

This has been a couple months since I spoke to Mileage Plus about this, but as I recall, when they look up the Chase upgrades on Award Tickets, THEIR info says it only applies at the airport....that you cannot get on the list in advance, you must wait till you get to the gate and then ask to be added to the list. Reservations also has the same language as the website -- it does NOT say airport only on their info if they look it up.

So you guys are saying that you've been automatically upgraded in advance, just like a revenue ticket. In the 4 or 5 award tickets I've used since this "benefit" became available I have not been added to the upgrade list even once.

If true, I will certainly pitch a ..... with reservations as soon as I make an award reservation and it doesn't show the "eligible for Premier Complementary Upgrade" on my flights..
Old Nov 6, 2012, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GeorgeJ
This has been a couple months since I spoke to Mileage Plus about this, but as I recall, when they look up the Chase upgrades on Award Tickets, THEIR info says it only applies at the airport....that you cannot get on the list in advance, you must wait till you get to the gate and then ask to be added to the list. Reservations also has the same language as the website -- it does NOT say airport only on their info if they look it up.

So you guys are saying that you've been automatically upgraded in advance, just like a revenue ticket. In the 4 or 5 award tickets I've used since this "benefit" became available I have not been added to the upgrade list even once.

If true, I will certainly pitch a ..... with reservations as soon as I make an award reservation and it doesn't show the "eligible for Premier Complementary Upgrade" on my flights..
I have been upgraded at the 1k window. I have also been upgraded from the t-24 hour upgrade wait list. Never had to go to the airport.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BA S
Angry Failed!

I just spent an hour talking to an agent supervisor on the 1k line that refused to add me to the list for my Award flight IAH-DCA tomorrow. I gave her all of the agent DRS codes and she read me what she quoted as Note 64 from DRS "UP CODE" that I should only be added to the upgrade list at the airport after I present my Chase card to the check-in or gate agent. She said that other forum members must have "bullied" the 1k agent on the line to get them to add them to the list and that she could do it but refuses to break the rules.

I tried explaining that by the time I get to the gate, other platinum/gold/silvers will have been upgraded ahead of me and First will be full. She said that in that case, I could request to have the others downgraded and me to be upgraded in their place (which NEVER happens!) and that was that.

I offered to bet her $100 that there was no chance in hell I was going to get upgraded tomorrow even though currently there are 5 spots left in First and the first 5 on the upgrade list are GOLD (all 1K's and Platinum's have already been upgraded by CPU before T-24) meaning that I would be 1st on the list if she would just add me! She thought that this was funny and said that she doesn't bet and then asked if there was anything else that she could do for me.

She was very friendly, but I got nowhere. I will try at the airport with the wonderful GA I happen to get and return with the end of the story. I don't have much hope though!

I may try calling the 1k line again tomorrow and "bullying" a different agent to add me to the list

Wish me luck!
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by jonjon789
I just spent an hour talking to an agent supervisor on the 1k line that refused to add me to the list for my Award flight IAH-DCA tomorrow. I gave her all of the agent DRS codes and she read me what she quoted as Note 64 from DRS "UP CODE" that I should only be added to the upgrade list at the airport after I present my Chase card to the check-in or gate agent. She said that other forum members must have "bullied" the 1k agent on the line to get them to add them to the list and that she could do it but refuses to break the rules.

I tried explaining that by the time I get to the gate, other platinum/gold/silvers will have been upgraded ahead of me and First will be full. She said that in that case, I could request to have the others downgraded and me to be upgraded in their place (which NEVER happens!) and that was that.

I offered to bet her $100 that there was no chance in hell I was going to get upgraded tomorrow even though currently there are 5 spots left in First and the first 5 on the upgrade list are GOLD (all 1K's and Platinum's have already been upgraded by CPU before T-24) meaning that I would be 1st on the list if she would just add me! She thought that this was funny and said that she doesn't bet and then asked if there was anything else that she could do for me.

She was very friendly, but I got nowhere. I will try at the airport with the wonderful GA I happen to get and return with the end of the story. I don't have much hope though!

I may try calling the 1k line again tomorrow and "bullying" a different agent to add me to the list

Wish me luck!

In fairness, the upgrade list that you see (and are not on) is only used for upgrading at the gate. The EUA list is not published.

So at best, this shouldn't affect EUA from running and upgrading you, provided EUA sees you as upgrade eligible. So best case, this is a nuisance item to get you on the airport list, and theoretically, the only advantage you may be losing is being behind someone else with an award as well in your same Elite level who either gets added to the list at checkin (if this technology ever works), or gets to the airport in person before you.

In my most recent case, I had two (2) flights where it did not add me to the list at checkin. One of them cleared via EUA before I got to the airport to be added. The other one I had to fight to get added, but it never cleared.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by channa
In fairness, the upgrade list that you see (and are not on) is only used for upgrading at the gate. The EUA list is not published.

So at best, this shouldn't affect EUA from running and upgrading you, provided EUA sees you as upgrade eligible. So best case, this is a nuisance item to get you on the airport list, and theoretically, the only advantage you may be losing is being behind someone else with an award as well in your same Elite level who either gets added to the list at checkin (if this technology ever works), or gets to the airport in person before you.

In my most recent case, I had two (2) flights where it did not add me to the list at checkin. One of them cleared via EUA before I got to the airport to be added. The other one I had to fight to get added, but it never cleared.
I booked a last-minute award ticket with an Explorer card which is eligible for elite upgrade, and which the record correctly shows flagged for advance EUA.

After OLCI I was not on the departure-management upgrade list visible at mobile.united.com

I have so far talked to (2) airport check-in agents (at an outstation) who have never heard of this perk and have no idea how to see whether I'm on the upgrade list, and (1) 1K phone agent who says I should not be on the departure-management list but also that "the agent at the gate will take care of that, it'll just show up on their screen".

I called another phone agent who said "I can confirm the upgrade right now, I can clear it right away", which, what? OK, that's not how it's supposed to work and I'm a little scared / have no idea what just happened. I now see myself in fare class "Fare Class: United First (I)". Huh?! And now I can "cancel/refund" my ticket online, even though I'm already checked in?! Huh?! (I asked the gate agent here and she says I'm still checked in.) (Kiosk check-in gave me an F boarding pass in I with the same e-ticket. Bizarre.)

Last edited by mherdeg; Nov 24, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.