Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Anyone experienced the United Behind-The-Scene Airport Tour?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2013, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, National EE

Just got an invite from United for touring EWR. Appears to be for being a MileagePlus Premier member. Lasts about 5 hours and there will be interactive elements to the tour.

Anyone being on one? Is it worth going considered that I'll have to shell out around $60 for taxi fare to and from the airport? Is the group size reasonably small enough for you to actually enjoy the interactive elements?

Appreciate any comments.
Old May 3, 2013, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by zerolife
Just got an invite from United for touring EWR. Appears to be for being a MileagePlus Premier member. Lasts about 5 hours and there will be interactive elements to the tour.

Anyone being on one? Is it worth going considered that I'll have to shell out around $60 for taxi fare to and from the airport? Is the group size reasonably small enough for you to actually enjoy the interactive elements?

Appreciate any comments.
I went to one in Seattle and it was awesome - I'd probably fly a transcon to do it, let alone a cab.
Old May 3, 2013, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum
That sounds awesome. Wish they would do more of these - would love to attend one!
Old May 3, 2013, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC

Appreciate any comments.
Where do you live that you need to take a taxi to the airport?
Old May 3, 2013, 1:19 pm

They're very cool events. I would highly encourage you to go. Past events have included a plane pull, trying out deicing vehicles, marshaling/wing walking planes, etc.
Old May 3, 2013, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aacharya
Where do you live that you need to take a taxi to the airport?
Jersey City which is actually fairly close to EWR but as far as I know the best way to the airport is car service / taxi. Train will take multiple connections and there aren't any bus services (unless you travel into Manhattan first).
Old May 3, 2013, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Jersey City which is actually fairly close to EWR but as far as I know the best way to the airport is car service / taxi. Train will take multiple connections and there aren't any bus services (unless you travel into Manhattan first).
Path to Newark Penn and then a train to EWR?
Old May 3, 2013, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
^ Very easy way of getting to EWR from Jersey City - have done it dozens of times. Or if you don't want to get the train from Penn, take a regular Newark cab from outside the station, takes a few minutes to get to the airport.
Old May 3, 2013, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
By far the easiest (and cheapest) way from JC to EWR. In fact, did it this Sunday.
Old May 3, 2013, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.2 MM, AA Gold 1MM, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I did the tour at IAH a few months ago. It was worth it. Went to IAH operations control room, bag room, ramp control tower, unloaded bags, drove tugs and jet bridges. All employees were very glad to spend the morning with us and answer questions.
Old May 3, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by emcampbe
By far the easiest (and cheapest) way from JC to EWR. In fact, did it this Sunday.
For the the biggest city in NJ outside of Newark - to claim no good public transportation when there is a direct train as well...

http://www.destinationjerseycity.com...international/
Old May 3, 2013, 3:28 pm

Programs: Continental
I have done them at SJC and FLL through the united flyers community.
You spend the day servicing an aircraft, all the way through boarding and push back.
It's a great event and the people that run it are fantastic.
Old May 3, 2013, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

thanks guys about the routing to EWR. I checked Google Maps for the PATH/NJT routing and I would have to leave the house 1 1/2 hours in advance. I'm assume it's because NJT is running fewer trains on a Saturday morning. However, I will try to catch this route on the way back.
Old May 3, 2013, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
How does one get on the list for these tours? Or do I use have to wait until COdbaUA reached out to me?
Old May 3, 2013, 3:41 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Exchange Place/Grove Street PATH + NJ Transit #62 bus is my default.

http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...sportation_FAQ

I've had two tours of ORD and one of SFO thanks to FlyerTalk Dos. Keep an eye out on this forum and/or CommunityBuzz for other chances.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.