FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Anyone experienced the United Behind-The-Scene Airport Tour? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1463979-anyone-experienced-united-behind-scene-airport-tour.html)

zerolife May 3, 2013 12:49 pm

Anyone experienced the United Behind-The-Scene Airport Tour?

Just got an invite from United for touring EWR. Appears to be for being a MileagePlus Premier member. Lasts about 5 hours and there will be interactive elements to the tour.

Anyone being on one? Is it worth going considered that I'll have to shell out around $60 for taxi fare to and from the airport? Is the group size reasonably small enough for you to actually enjoy the interactive elements?

Appreciate any comments.

kevanyalowitz May 3, 2013 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by zerolife (Post 20693951)
Just got an invite from United for touring EWR. Appears to be for being a MileagePlus Premier member. Lasts about 5 hours and there will be interactive elements to the tour.

Anyone being on one? Is it worth going considered that I'll have to shell out around $60 for taxi fare to and from the airport? Is the group size reasonably small enough for you to actually enjoy the interactive elements?

Appreciate any comments.

I went to one in Seattle and it was awesome - I'd probably fly a transcon to do it, let alone a cab.

IADOrange May 3, 2013 12:58 pm

That sounds awesome. Wish they would do more of these - would love to attend one!

aacharya May 3, 2013 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by zerolife (Post 20693951)

Appreciate any comments.

Where do you live that you need to take a taxi to the airport?

UnitedFlyGuy May 3, 2013 1:19 pm

They're very cool events. I would highly encourage you to go. Past events have included a plane pull, trying out deicing vehicles, marshaling/wing walking planes, etc.

zerolife May 3, 2013 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya (Post 20694021)
Where do you live that you need to take a taxi to the airport?

Jersey City which is actually fairly close to EWR but as far as I know the best way to the airport is car service / taxi. Train will take multiple connections and there aren't any bus services (unless you travel into Manhattan first).

dmurphynj May 3, 2013 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by zerolife (Post 20694124)
Jersey City which is actually fairly close to EWR but as far as I know the best way to the airport is car service / taxi. Train will take multiple connections and there aren't any bus services (unless you travel into Manhattan first).

Path to Newark Penn and then a train to EWR?

star_world May 3, 2013 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by dmurphynj (Post 20694214)

^ Very easy way of getting to EWR from Jersey City - have done it dozens of times. Or if you don't want to get the train from Penn, take a regular Newark cab from outside the station, takes a few minutes to get to the airport.

emcampbe May 3, 2013 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by dmurphynj (Post 20694214)

By far the easiest (and cheapest) way from JC to EWR. In fact, did it this Sunday.

IAHMCI May 3, 2013 3:11 pm

I did the tour at IAH a few months ago. It was worth it. Went to IAH operations control room, bag room, ramp control tower, unloaded bags, drove tugs and jet bridges. All employees were very glad to spend the morning with us and answer questions.

aacharya May 3, 2013 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe (Post 20694300)
By far the easiest (and cheapest) way from JC to EWR. In fact, did it this Sunday.

For the the biggest city in NJ outside of Newark - to claim no good public transportation when there is a direct train as well...

http://www.destinationjerseycity.com...international/

hockey7711 May 3, 2013 3:28 pm

I have done them at SJC and FLL through the united flyers community.
You spend the day servicing an aircraft, all the way through boarding and push back.
It's a great event and the people that run it are fantastic.

zerolife May 3, 2013 3:32 pm

thanks guys about the routing to EWR. I checked Google Maps for the PATH/NJT routing and I would have to leave the house 1 1/2 hours in advance. I'm assume it's because NJT is running fewer trains on a Saturday morning. However, I will try to catch this route on the way back.

warreng24 May 3, 2013 3:34 pm

How does one get on the list for these tours? Or do I use have to wait until COdbaUA reached out to me?

FlyinHawaiian May 3, 2013 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by zerolife (Post 20694124)

Exchange Place/Grove Street PATH + NJ Transit #62 bus is my default.

http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...sportation_FAQ

I've had two tours of ORD and one of SFO thanks to FlyerTalk Dos. Keep an eye out on this forum and/or CommunityBuzz for other chances.