Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Traveling on UA with a CPAP Device - Questions, Experiences, Etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2016, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The disability number has now been updated to 1-800-228-2744

Carry-on allowance
You're also allowed to bring the following items on board, in addition to your one bag and one personal item limit (Footnote 2):

Jacket or umbrella
Reading material
Food or merchandise purchased in the airport
Assistive devices (collapsible wheelchair, cane, one set of crutches, medical devices needed to administer prescription medications, portable oxygen concentrator, etc.)
FAA-approved child restraint system or safety seat
Diaper bag
Breast pump
Pet carrier (service charges apply for in-cabin pets)

CoC Rule 23.B.2 Baggage

In addition to the Carry-on Free Baggage Allowance listed above, the following items do not count toward the one Carry-on plus one personal item:
An overcoat or wrap.
An umbrella.
A reasonable amount of reading material.
A pet carrier (charges apply) (the carrier must be small enough to fit underneath the seat without blocking any person’s path to the main aisle of the aircraft, and it must be stowed properly before the forward customer entry door to the aircraft is closed).
A collapsible wheelchair.
A government approved child/infant restraint seat meeting Federal Motor Vehicle and FAA Approval Standards.
A camera.
A diaper bag.
A breast pump.
A limited amount of Airport Duty Free items, merchandise purchased in the airport, or food. These items must be stowed in the same manner as Carry-on Baggage.
Assistive devices (a cane, one set of crutches, prescription medications and any medical devices needed to administer the medications, a Portable Oxygen Concentrator (POC), etc.). These items must be stowed in the same manner as Carry-on Baggage.
DOT § 382.121 What mobility aids and other assistive devices may passengers with a disability bring into the aircraft cabin?

related thread
Traveling on UA with a portable oxygen concentrator - Questions, Experiences, Etc

Print Wikipost

Traveling on UA with a CPAP Device - Questions, Experiences, Etc.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2014, 3:21 pm

Programs: Southwest, Starwood, Marriott
CPAPs and United

I carry-on my battery-powered CPAP whenever I travel (frequently, though by FlyerTalk standards not so much.) Only once in a blue moon have I run into a gate agent who didn't know that the CPAP bag doesn't count against carry-on numerical limitations.

On overnight or intercontinental flights I'll use it in flight. United is the ONLY airline ever to hassle me about inflight use! On a Jan2013 trip from Newark to London the stewardess made me shut it off 90 minutes into the flight! She politely heard me out about why it ought to be OK, and checked with the Captain, and he supposedly checked with headquarters, and they told me to shut it off. In all fairness to them, I had NOT made any pre-arrangements. But in all fairness to me:
1) every time I had ever tried to do so in years past I ended up in voicemail hell, and
2) no airline seemed to care.
Doug
Old Mar 4, 2014, 5:49 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dvellice47
In all fairness to them, I had NOT made any pre-arrangements. But in all fairness to me:
1) every time I had ever tried to do so in years past I ended up in voicemail hell, and
2) no airline seemed to care.
Doug
You need to have authorization from United to use the equipment on board. You get authorization through the Disability Desk to use a CPAP (or similar) on board. They have a list of the types of machines that are authorized for use on board their planes.

You shouldn't end up in voicemail hell if you call the Disability Desk directly at 1-800-825-6331. Use that number and not the general number listed on the website. It is staffed 24-hours a day by dedicated employees. If you do this often enough, they will get to know you and are a very caring group of employees. You need to call at least 48 hours in advance of your flight. They will enter the authorization information on your PNR and it will show on the manifest for the flight, so there will be no issue with flight attendants.

If you run into any problem with gate agents about your additional bag and they are not aware of the rules of the ACAA, you simply call the medical desk right then and there and they will straighten them out.

On board, I introduce myself to the purser on the flight, explain that I am a med patient, but I am able to take care of my own needs with the equipment. The only request I have is that there always be water at my seat. More often than not, they will pull a full liter bottle out of the cart and give it to me. ^
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:55 pm

Programs: Southwest, Starwood, Marriott
CPAPs and United

Thanks very much for that number. The next time I'm considering buying a ticket from UAL, I'll call this number first. Doug
Old Mar 16, 2014, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Answer From the the UA Carry-On Sizer Thread

Originally Posted by TransCon1
No to go too far off topic, but I am going to have to start doing this. I really dread it -- first trip is tomorrow (LAX - DEN, so no connections). How do you find traveling with it and are you really stopped every flight (I will hate that).

Thanks for any advice!
No sweat. They are light, usually stow on top of my carry-on and not too much trouble to put together and take apart in the hotel. I do have to dump the water out of my new one. The old one wouldn't let water out once it was in, so I could just pack-n-go, but it finally broke down after 6+ years.

As for boarding the plane, when they start asking, all I have to say is "Medical" as I keep walking, and they usually say, "Thank you," or "That's all I needed to hear." You will not have one bit of a problem, and it will change your life, if you haven't already discovered that. Welcome to the world of real sleep!
Old Mar 17, 2014, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
I've been traveling with my CPAP for about 2 years. Even when traveling with a rollaboard and a briefcase in addition to the CPAP, I've never once been questioned by a GA or FA (although I did have to explain it to a maroon moron once at EWR, but they're inconsequential). I get the impression that they're getting more accustomed to seeing CPAPs on board.

FWIW, when I got my CPAP I created a luggage tag with "MEDICAL EQUIPMENT" in bold red letters and attached it to the CPAP case. Like I said, never been questioned once, on any airline.

Curious to know how the rest of the group will respond: what's your preferred location for storing your CPAP - under the seat or overhead? I have always staunchly refused to put my CPAP under the seat - with babies, kids & now 'service'* animals wandering around the cabin floor, I don't want them or their byproducts anywhere near the thing that lives on my face all night.

*I'm not including proper, trained service animals in this group - they're too well trained to disturb another passenger's belongings. I'm talking about the new generation of 'support' and 'therapy' animals.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 4:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Critic
what's your preferred location for storing your CPAP - under the seat or overhead?
I always stored mine overhead. It's small, and along with a backpack takes up about the same amount of room as a typical rollaboard.

It was usually my personal item. The only time I was ever questioned about it was at SFO when I had three bags (I just happened to be carrying my wife's personal item at the time). When they asked, I just said CPAP and they waved me through.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:14 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Critic
FWIW, when I got my CPAP I created a luggage tag with "MEDICAL EQUIPMENT" in bold red letters and attached it to the CPAP case. Like I said, never been questioned once, on any airline.

Curious to know how the rest of the group will respond: what's your preferred location for storing your CPAP - under the seat or overhead? I have always staunchly refused to put my CPAP under the seat - with babies, kids & now 'service'* animals wandering around the cabin floor, I don't want them or their byproducts anywhere near the thing that lives on my face all night.
Overhead bin for my equipment (although not a CPAP it is similar). I also made a "Medical Equipment" tag for my case. ^
Old Feb 24, 2016, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Sorry to resuscitate this older thread. I intend to use my CPAP machine on board and after calling the disability/ accessibility desk at 8002282744, I was told that only ResMed devices are allowed on-board. What kind of crap is this? I have a Z1 CPAP and it is FAA compliant and has a battery life of 8 hours and can be used on board. What should I do to use this device on board?
Old Feb 24, 2016, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
Sorry to resuscitate this older thread. I intend to use my CPAP machine on board and after calling the disability/ accessibility desk at 8002282744, I was told that only ResMed devices are allowed on-board. What kind of crap is this? I have a Z1 CPAP and it is FAA compliant and has a battery life of 8 hours and can be used on board. What should I do to use this device on board?
Just use it. I do have a resmed, but I always use it without pre authorization. I even plug it in.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
Just use it. I do have a resmed, but I always use it without pre authorization. I even plug it in.
Thank you. I shall stay quiet.
Old May 18, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
CPAP = 2nd carry on ???

Saw something new yesterday. Many times I have seen travelers with a CPAP and a carry on and never thought that much about it since it is a medical device.

Yesterday prior to boarding a couple of folks were giving a guy a hard time as they felt he had TWO carry-ons. He explained one was a CPAP (medical device) and the other was his laptop/carryon, whatever.

They made a big deal about it and even brought an agent over. I boarded before it was resolved but was curious.

What is United stance on this?
Old May 18, 2017, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K
The contract of carriage spells out what items you can have in addition to a carry-on (rollaboard suitcase sized) and a personal item (backpack or laptop sized). https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...-carriage.aspx

In addition to the Carry-on Free Baggage Allowance listed above, the following items do not count toward the one Carry-on plus one personal item:
An overcoat or wrap.
An umbrella.
A reasonable amount of reading material.
A pet carrier (charges apply) (the carrier must be small enough to fit underneath the seat without blocking any person’s path to the main aisle of the aircraft, and it must be stowed properly before the forward customer entry door to the aircraft is closed).
A collapsible wheelchair.
A government approved child/infant restraint seat meeting Federal Motor Vehicle and FAA Approval Standards.
A camera.
A diaper bag.
A breast pump.
A limited amount of Airport Duty Free items, merchandise purchased in the airport, or food. These items must be stowed in the same manner as Carry-on Baggage.
Assistive devices (a cane, one set of crutches, prescription medications and any medical devices needed to administer the medications, a Portable Oxygen Concentrator (POC), etc.). These items must be stowed in the same manner as Carry-on Baggage.
Was the machine in question an assistive device for the purposes of the CoC? Up to UA to figure out. They might have certain other obligations under federal regulations regarding passengers with disabilities.
Old May 18, 2017, 12:16 pm

CPAP is an approved medical device as per the ADA. United cannot stop anyone from bringing it on board. I have personally carried it as my 3rd bag (after my backpack and my carryon) and they haven't said anything. The GA was in the wrong. Only thing to be mindful of are the size and the power requirements as mandated by FAA. They have to be able to last the duration of flight on battery power (and not AC power). It is also a good practice to notify the disability desk about usage beforehand.

Official policy - https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ntilators.aspx
Old May 18, 2017, 1:29 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Rather than calling it by name, just point the bag and say "Medical", as I've done with many gate agents. Haven't had any issues.
Old May 18, 2017, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
CPAP machine may be a term that some people do not understand. I use the term "this is a breathing machine" and have never had a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.