Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Farelock remorse

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:08 am

I just used the fare lock for the first time. Did the 7 day hold. There was one really good E+ seat I would love to buy for my companion. But it seems that I can't pick that last good E+ seat unless I buy the ticket now and loose out on the 7 day fare lock?? That seems silly.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Phillies
I just used the fare lock for the first time. Did the 7 day hold. There was one really good E+ seat I would love to buy for my companion. But it seems that I can't pick that last good E+ seat unless I buy the ticket now and loose out on the 7 day fare lock?? That seems silly.
Why would you commit to buying the E+ seat (non-refundable) without paying for the flight first?

That is what seems silly.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by aacharya
Why would you commit to buying the E+ seat (non-refundable) without paying for the flight first?

That is what seems silly.
Lol. That is a very good question. It's becasuse I'm almost 100% certain my travel companion will be taking that flight at this point. But I still want to get "my money's worth" on the farelock. Make any sense?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Phillies
Lol. That is a very good question. It's becasuse I'm almost 100% certain my travel companion will be taking that flight at this point. But I still want to get "my money's worth" on the farelock. Make any sense?
It does - otherwise you're thinking "i paid for farelock for nothing".
Old Oct 26, 2012, 7:04 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by RNE
I have twice used a 7-day farelock. In fact, I have one active right now, with three days to go. In the previous instance, circumstances drove me to let the farelock expire. Circumstances again will probably lead to my letting this one expire. But I don't mind; I like the option.
Sure enough: This reservation is currently on hold with a 7-days FareLock. We will hold this reservation until 9:00 p.m., Fri., Oct. 26, 2012 in Cleveland, OH (CLE). FareLock will expire in: 0 days : 0 hrs : 0 min: 0 sec
Old Oct 26, 2012, 7:23 pm
RNE

Inexplicably, despite the FareLock having expired, I can still purchase the reservation.

RNE, but life is rigged for my benefit.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RNE
Inexplicably, despite the FareLock having expired, I can still purchase the reservation....
is the original fare still available for new purchase?
Old Oct 27, 2012, 7:47 am
RNE

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
OK, OK, you got me! It didn't really matter that I could still buy the reservation after the FareLock expired because I could just buy a new reservation outright.

Interestingly, the same booking's 7-day FareLock is now $14, whereas the one I had was only $10. A 40% increase seems inexplicable given that my travel isn't until way off in late January/early February.

RNE, tidely letting the FareLock expire because of the timing of Israeli Parliamentary elections; better to book a little later, methinks.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:08 am

Programs: Continental OnePass Platinum
FareLock is great: just don't expect that it will actually purchase your res automatically for you!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...r-res-you.html
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:24 am

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by exerda
24 hours after you ticket, though, I believe. Thus, you can fare lock for 3 days, decide to book on day 3, and assuming ticketing happens promptly (within a few minutes of booking), have until day 4 to cancel without penalty. You can't get back the FareLock fee itself even within 24 hours, but you should have 24 hours after you decide to buy a FareLocked booking to refund without penalty.
Is that right? I will need to revisit fare lock then since that would be a big deal and I would use it a lot more. I thought fare lock just locked in the price...but you still needed to book the ticket that day.

EDIT: Based upon the post above...it looks like I really misunderstood how farelock operates.

Last edited by DCEsquire; Oct 27, 2012 at 10:31 am
Old Nov 21, 2013, 5:03 pm

Programs: Plat Delta, Plat AA, Plat SPG
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
BTW, make sure you don't click the link "Check prices again" in the farelock expiration email!!!

I did that, and my price was $272 on a ONT-SFO flight up from $135 that was farelocked. I just happened to double-check Kayak and found that united still had the $135 fare available for the exact same flight.

Maybe it was a fare class thing, but still tricky tricky!
Old Nov 21, 2013, 5:37 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by RNE
RNE, tidely letting the FareLock expire because of the timing of Israeli Parliamentary elections; better to book a little later, methinks.
And indeed I ended up buying in June 2013 for travel in May 2014.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.