Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Different Charges for Different Platforms

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2012, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond

I'm flying AUS-EWR tomorrow and had my Windows notebook, Android phone, and iOS 6 tablet checking things out ( website and respective mobile apps.)

I was attempting to use an RPU for an upgrade from an economy ticket to F.

I tried to check-in on on my iPad, but it failed. Tried to check-in on my notebook, but it failed. Turns out my RPU was messing up with my record and a call into UA fixed it so my wait listed (RPU) segment could be dropped so I could check in.

So then I check-in through the iOS app ...and get to the #1 position for an upgrade. About an hour later, I notice I'm down to #2. I re-check-in on my Android, my iPad, and my notebook....and from each, I get an offer to buy up: $949 on my notebook, $749 on my Android, and $599 on my iPad. (No buy up offer popped up when the RPU was attached to my reservation.)

Someone on another blog posted screen grabs where the iOS check-in actually offered up a higher price than the other(s).

I don't know what's up with this "dynamic pricing", but has anyone else seen buy-up offers higher on one platform than another? I guess moving forward, I should checkin on as many platforms as possible to shop around for the best offer.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold
I have actually seen the buy-up prices fluctuate durin successive check-ins on the same platform.

For example, I was offered DEN-IAH for $199 on iPhone app, I then exit and re-enter checkin and the offer is $299, but then drops to $199 again on the 3rd attempt. This is all within minutes of each other. I think this is pretty good evidence of IT issues and not a result of UA's ability to dynamically price upgrades effectively.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.