Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2013, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Current thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1686079-discussion-flying-lufthansa-vs-united-2015-thread.html
Print Wikipost

LH vs UA, which is better?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2012, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, UA Million Miler, Hertz #1, Five Star, Marriott Gold
LH vs UA, which is better?

Obviously a loaded question. However, tried to check in for SAT-ORD-FRA-VCE
on LH (today 10/4) as I purchased the ticket from them. Their website says that my booking does not exist when I go to check in, even after LH sends me an email that it is time to check in! Additionally, the SAT-ORD leg disappeared from the booking today. Fortunately, UA was able to check me in online (SAT-ORD leg is UA) and issue boarding passes.

Now LH may have a nicer fleet and more consistent branding, but their customer service, on line, is horrible! Next time that I travel and need a segment on LH, I will book only thru UA. Despite the issues this year, they are light years ahead of the vaunted Germans! Lesson learned!!
Old Oct 4, 2012, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K
In general you should check in for your flight with the operating carrier of the first segment.

For example if you buy FRA-PHL-ORD from United on united.com, with FRA-PHL operated by LH and PHL-ORD operated by UA, you should check in with Lufthansa or on lufthansa.com for this flight.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
which is better?
depends what you want.

UA in Y is better.
UA domestic F is far better than LH euro-biz which is garbage.

UA C > LH C on the seat (bed) but LH is better with food.

LH int'l F blows UA F out of the water.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 8:06 pm

Search is your friend ... this question comes up here all the time.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
You ask which one is better but it sounds like you already made up your mind; You should change the title to LH online service is bad...... or something like that.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 9:33 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by entropy

LH int'l F blows UA F out of the water.
For hard product, only on the new LH F. Versus the old LH F product (still common on a lot of routes), I prefer the UA GF hard product.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
For hard product, only on the new LH F. Versus the old LH F product (still common on a lot of routes), I prefer the UA GF hard product.
Well, the IPTE UA F isn't as nice as the new LH F (hard product), the IPTE UA F is better than the old LH F seat wise (marginally) but the LH F seat/bed is pretty comfortable with the duvet and fuller pillows.
At the same time, the Service, Food & Beverage and ground product for LH isn't even in the same universe.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 11:54 am
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Originally Posted by entropy
. . . but LH is better with food. . .
Frankly, I didn't notice. On my flights in J, food on both UA and LH was mediocre.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 12:42 pm

It depends on what one values. For me, assuming the fare availability is the same, UA wins every day owing to Ch.9.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA1K .455 MM, Hilton and Marriott Gold
Do you prefer sitting in a cooler or an oven for 8-10 hours?!
Old Oct 5, 2012, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by BigBossman
Do you prefer sitting in a cooler or an oven for 8-10 hours?!
Cooler anyday. My favorite seat is the exit window seat on a 757.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
UA 772 or LH 744 in C?

opinions? options for my honeymoon....

thanks!
Old Oct 23, 2012, 6:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by avi8tir
opinions? options for my honeymoon....

thanks!
Can I suggest doing a search would help.
This topic has been discussed extensively, including in this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-vs-first.html
Old Jan 9, 2013, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA Premier, AA
United or Lufthansa for Chicago-Munich in economy class?

I need to book a pair of return tickets between O'Hare and Munich in economy class for this May using the United website, and am trying to choose between flying United or Lufthansa. Both offer direct flights at similar times and almost identical prices, so the choice seems to come down to these factors:

Seating allocation. If I fly United, I can pick a pair of seats in Economy on their site when I book, and as I'm in the Premier program, I can upgrade both of us to Economy Plus seats for free when I check in (if they're still available.) I can't book seats on Lufthansa via the United site, and what I've read elsewhere suggests that I can try to do so on the LH site, but that this might not be as reliable (and people seem to get moved around rather often after they've "booked" a seat on LH).

Equipment. The Lufthansa flight would be on a Airbus A340-600 (nine seats to a row, arranged 2-5-2); the United flight would be on a Boeing 767-400ER (seven seats to a row, arranged 2-3-2). The seat layout on the United flight is more attractive, as I dread the idea of being stuck in the middle of five seats overnight, but I have no idea as to which plane might be more comfortable, or newer.
Also, there's no Economy Plus in Lufthansa. Are their regular seats any better or worse than United's basic economy seats, or are they closer to Economy Plus?

Service. I've had much better luck on LH in Europe than UA in the USA. But I've only flown United between the US and Europe in recent years, and haven't much enjoyed it. So I was hoping I might do better on LH, but would appreciate hearing from those who have been on both LH and UA across the pond.

As a frequent flyer on United, I'd enjoy flying on an airline with better service and more comfortable equipment (which has been my experience flying Lufthansa within Europe), while still getting my UA frequent flyer miles, but I'm beginning to worry that flying Lufthansa from Chicago to Munich could be a case of out of the frying pan and into the fire. Many thanks for any help you can offer.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:24 pm

Programs: United, Southwest, SPG, HH, Marriott Rewards
I flew MUC-EWR on LH as my middle leg on a journey home from Rome in November. I've flown pre-merger CO to DUB and BFS many times and also to DEL. Post-merger I've flown UA to BFS once. I found the Lufthansa flight to be very comfortable and would fly them again. Our landing at EWR was delayed, but that was not LH's fault. In future I would weigh my miles posting (I have problem on this itinerary unrelated to LH) for a codeshared flight, plus seat selection...I was way in the back...but luckily NOT in the middle. I had no luck getting my seat from LH ahead of time. So other than not at all caring to be in the back, I found it to be a very pleasant flight. The cabin crew were certainly friendlier and more helpful than any "legacy" UA crew I've encountered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.