Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United award ticket on Qatar Airways getting Cancelled

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United award ticket on Qatar Airways getting Cancelled

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2012, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond,United Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum,Hertz President Circle
I had booked a Qatar Airways flight as part of a United Award Ticket, however I added one domestic segment in US (09/18) to take this flight,however that resulted in a re-issue and as a result the Qatar Airways portion got cancelled although it showed confirmed and ticketed on United... Dont know if it was a glitch or every re-issue after 09/14 will result in Qatar Airways portion getting cancelled automatically ..
I am totally confused what to do now...

Just checked with the supervisor, all re-issues post 09/14 will automatically cancel Qatar Airways segments

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 4, 2012 at 10:30 am Reason: merge
Old Oct 4, 2012, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by deadly_scorpion
Just checked with the supervisor, all re-issues post 09/14 will automatically cancel Qatar Airways segments
wow thats insane. And I dont think it was the case with Virgin.

Did they say if its voluntary changes that will have this impact only?

I know one of my flights changed by 1+ hours, and all I had to do is accept the new schedule online.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 9:41 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
It happened to me for a ticketed reservation. UA never took my miles*, but did charge me for the taxes, etc. Just after 9/14 UA removed the QR segments from the res. I called and UA could/would not get them back for me.

The new routing I got takes an additional flight and 4 hours longer (the initial one offered to me would have been 15 hours longer).

Has anyone been able to get QR segments reinstated after 9/14?

*: This was probably because the ticket, while at the saver F level, had an eticket that showed the non-saver price (XF68 instead of the correct WF68), which was higher than my balance. I have PDFs of the reservation process showing the saver pricing and that the flights were in O and I buckets. I did not take note of the failure to deduct miles until 9/13 or so, as UA sometimes takes a while to take miles.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 9:45 am

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
This lends credence to the current rumors circulating about QR joining OneWorld (announcement on Oct 08 in NYC).

If this rumor is true the likelihood of any QR award segments being reissued to *A customers may be pretty slim.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scnzzz
This lends credence to the current rumors circulating about QR joining OneWorld (announcement on Oct 08 in NYC).

If this rumor is true the likelihood of any QR award segments being reissued to *A customers may be pretty slim.
This has NOTHING to do with where Qatar is going or not going.

The relationship simply ended.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 11:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, TK Elite
Not surprised at all. Similar thing happened to me when I tried to change an award with a VS segment (the agent insisted that the new reservation won't ticket), and IIRC that was even before the partnership officially ended.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond,United Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum,Hertz President Circle
Unfortunately I was flying Business on Qatar and now I do not have availability in either coach or business to my destination...i guess I will have to wait bit not sure as I have to travel in less than 3 weeks
Old Oct 4, 2012, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

any ticket re-issue, voluntary or involuntary, will cancel the QR segments automatically
Old Oct 4, 2012, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
any ticket re-issue, voluntary or involuntary, will cancel the QR segments automatically
Out of curiosity, what would cause an involuntary ticket re-issue? I assume you would have to make some sort of change for that to happen?
Old Oct 4, 2012, 3:55 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coolbeans202
Out of curiosity, what would cause an involuntary ticket re-issue?
Carrier-initiated schedule change. Irregular operations while traveling.

I assume you would have to make some sort of change for that to happen?
That would make it a voluntary change.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ari
Carrier-initiated schedule change. Irregular operations while traveling.

That would make it a voluntary change.
So when is a schedule change a re-issue. My DOH-CAN changed by 1+ hours already. All I did is accept the schedule online.

I would imagine you'd be SOL if a misconnect results from a schedule change causing reaccomodations, but a simple schedule change is not a re-issue, is it?
Old Oct 4, 2012, 4:12 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
So when is a schedule change a re-issue?
When you have to switch flights; just a schedule change doesn't require re-issue if it doesn't result in an illegal connection.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 8:55 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Ari
When you have to switch flights; just a schedule change doesn't require re-issue if it doesn't result in an illegal connection.
Right, but in this case they won't reissue without you knowing about it? I guess what I'm getting at is that you would have to call and get it reissued (even if it's not by choice), you wouldn't just log in one day to discover your ticket had been reissued and now all of your QR segments are gone, right?

Last edited by coolbeans202; Oct 5, 2012 at 10:28 am
Old Oct 5, 2012, 9:02 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, AA, IHG Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rankourabu
...but a simple schedule change is not a re-issue, is it?
No, it is not. Same ticket, just a simple time change.
But, in the case of QR flights booked with UA award miles, if the schedule change makes a mis-connect, you're screwed.

Right, but in this case they won't reissue without you knowing about it? I guess what I'm getting at is that you would have to call and get it reissued (even if it's not by choice), you wouldn't just log in one day to discover your ticket had been reissued and now all of your QR segments are gone.
Really? A few months back, that exact scenario happened to me. I had to call in and get them to put back the QR flights. At least, I got an agent that knew what she was doing! Now, I worry every day that UA will try that stunt again and there's no way for me to fly on QR using UA anymore!

Last edited by ok2uselane; Oct 5, 2012 at 9:09 am
Old Oct 5, 2012, 10:10 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1MM
May not be 100% be true. On Oct-1, I had a major change to my Nov trip to MLE. Outbound ended up completely different, return legs on QR were not changed. Ticket was reissued and as of this morning, Oct-5, QR confirmed that the QR segments are reserved and ticketed correctly, as were the new legs on UA and TG.

I was going to try to get better outbound routing, but based on this thread I will count myself as lucky and not (voluntarily) change my ticket again

Last edited by JONEZY00; Oct 5, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.