Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rebooked flight? Make sure to cancel.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2012, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1MM, AA Exec Plat., Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Rebooked flight? Make sure to cancel.

I flew SFO-ORD-TPA on Saturday and a delayed flight out of SFO nearly caused a misconnect. Fortunately I was able to make my original flight however the system automatically protected me on a later flight (the following day).

Yesterday after logging into the UA iOS App, I noticed that my return itinerary was missing. 1K desk indicated that they cancelled my itinerary.

If you're rebooked automatically but make your original flight, make sure to call and cancel the rebooked segment or your return will disappear. There's a risk that seats will no longer be available and you may lose your upgrade.

Hopefully UA fixes this glitch.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 9:33 am

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
With SHARES, I'm not surprsied. But it's a good reminder that any missed segment will cancel out your entire itinerary so if you are rebooked, double check your itinerary and make sure it looks right. This saved me once when I was rebooked after a VDB and one of my later segments was left on the PNR. Had I not noticed it, when I got to my connection city, my next flight would have already been cancelled due to "missing" the later segment from the original itinerary.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 9:35 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by globetraveler
Hopefully UA fixes this glitch.
There should be no reason to have to check this manually... this is ridiculous.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 9:42 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Well, due to IRROPs, I was recently rebooked on a later flight on the outbound, flew the later outbound itinerary, and my inbound flights were still automatically canceled by the system - discovered this when I tried to check-in for it - fortunately they were still able to rebook me on the same flights. So keep a close eye on all of your itineraries that are changed in any way for any reason - the remainder of your itinerary is apparently subject to automatic cancellation regardless of whether you flew your original or alternate flights on the outbound.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 10:13 am

Programs: United 1K, Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Exec. Elite
if you are booked on flight A - C - E as part of a multi-segment itin and instead of A you take B. SHARES doesn't understand that you really didn't no-show for A and thus someone has to manually add ARNK (Arrival Unknown) to your record or the C-E segments will be considered a no-show and the itin gets deleted.

Took this happening me to me 4 times before the CIO explained it.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Yeah, the auto-rebook system is pretty bad at handling stuff.

I had a near misconnect, and I had the 1K desk protect me on DL (took 3 calls, but they did do it).

I made the connection by the skin of my teeth (they were delayed closing out the flight due to some other SHARES issue). On the plane, I look at the record and see the DL stuff at the bottom, so I call in to get rid of that, as a courtesy to DL.

The minute they do that, it autoprotects me on some COdbaUA stuff via IAH several hours after the DL stuff that was just deleted.

Door closes, no time to clean that up, so I clean it up when I get to my next stop.

So even once you clean something up, be sure to keep checking it to make sure they don't continue to tinker with it.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Thanks for the good tips everyone! I'll check and see if they've manually added the ARNK code next time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.