Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated AMS connection time/logistics

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2018, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Consolidated AMS connection time/logistics

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold, FB, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SPLITTERZ
You just have to ensure that you are checked in and have a boarding pass. I am pretty sure they do not have mobile boarding passes in AMS.
AMS certainly works with mobile boarding passes, including the ones from the UA app, I use them regularly.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by xandern
AMS certainly works with mobile boarding passes, including the ones from the UA app, I use them regularly.
I honestly couldn't remember. Maybe its BRU I am thinking of? Idk its late
Old Apr 3, 2015, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Connecting in AMS to a Paris flight on an OAL

Mods - please move if there is a better forum for this

I am booked on UA 58 from IAH to AMS. That flight is scheduled to arrive in AMS at 9:20 AM on Saturday 5/23/15. This is a business trip and I scheduled this in-bound flight a week early so I could spend some vacation time in Europe. Problem is that I want to spend that time in France, not Amsterdam, and that travel is on my own dime.

I am getting ready to book a flight from AMS to Paris for 5/23. That flight will likely be on AF, or KLM based on schedule availability. I am assuming that I will need to collect my checked bags in AMS and clear immigration and customs, and then turn around and re-clear in order to board my AF/KLM flight to Paris.

What is the earliest time that I should schedule the outbound flight to Paris? My fiancé will be accompanying me for this part of the trip if that matters.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Just a quick note — you don't have to fly. Consider booking rail from Amsterdam to Paris. It's just over 3h on Thalys service from Amsterdam to Paris Nord. Looking at one sample day, there's an 11:33 am train that would get you into the city at 2:44 p.m., a pretty good deal.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 2:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Just a quick note — you don't have to fly. Consider booking rail from Amsterdam to Paris. It's just over 3h on Thalys service from Amsterdam to Paris Nord. Looking at one sample day, there's an 11:33 am train that would get you into the city at 2:44 p.m., a pretty good deal.
+1000

Don't even think about connecting into CDG. Take Thalys direct into Gare du Nord. The station is literally in the airport at AMS.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mherdeg
+1

I've done that train, but the other direction. Much better than flying. No more security or anything to worry about until you head home.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks all.

Is there enough room for luggage on the Thalys train? We will likely have 2 checked bags each (4 total), plus carry-ons.

I am familiar with the AMS airport and have taken the train from there into the city, but those local trains do not have much room for bags. Never taken a train trip across country borders in Europe.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 4:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Soccerdad1995
Is there enough room for luggage on the Thalys train? We will likely have 2 checked bags each (4 total), plus carry-ons.
Shouldn't be a problem. Thalys - Luggage.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 11:22 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, CO, UA, F9, AS, SPG, HHonors Gold, WN, Club Carlson Gold,
Connecting at AMS to CPH How do I get from Terminal 3 to 1

On a flight from IAD to AMS, then connecting to CPH on an SAS flight to CPH. It appears that the IAD flight arrives AMS in terminal 3, and the SAS flight to CPH departs from terminal 1, will I have to go through security again to go to terminal 1 for the SAS Flight?

Thanks.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 1:48 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
No. AMS has an one-terminal-concept. You can just follow the signs to your gate after arrival. You only need to pass passport control, not security.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 8:11 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
New "central security" at AMS/Schiphol as applies to UA

Will be departing AMS (to IAH) in BF in a couple weeks, just saw about the new central security at Schiphol, as opposed to at the gate. Reports from DL and KL threads report it as a bit of a cluster, and that there are issues with lack of priority lanes. Anyone tried it flying UA yet, especially if flying BF or with *G? TIA
Old Jul 2, 2015, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Will be departing AMS (to IAH) in BF in a couple weeks, just saw about the new central security at Schiphol, as opposed to at the gate. Reports from DL and KL threads report it as a bit of a cluster, and that there are issues with lack of priority lanes. Anyone tried it flying UA yet, especially if flying BF or with *G? TIA
Just flew out of Amsterdam back to the US on United. Family of 7. We were in business class. No problems with security. Do not recall any priority lines, but the lines were not that long. Granted it was Saturday mid morning.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Bump for other input, if available.
Afaik - and my personal recent experience - is that this is a sky team thing and doesn't apply to UA.... To be clear - in June AMS went to a central security system for all flights - but Ive only heard of issues with non-UA flights.....

Last edited by bmwe92fan; Jul 3, 2015 at 2:27 pm
Old Jul 3, 2015, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Thanks for the input. Will give report of my experience.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 3:19 pm

Premier lines ex AMS?

Flying home from AMS in November. Do they have Premier check in and security lines there? Or generic "Status" security lines?

How is the departure experience at AMS?

10:00 departure to IAH. How early should we arrive? Checking bags.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.