Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United? {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United? {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by threeoh
Yes, under the Wegener decision (see above).

Yes, normal Customer Care form, just mention EU261. State you were delayed 5 hours bcs of mechanical and are seeking EU261 comp.
I will qualify for 1K status in about 1 week (I have a couple flights tomorrow that will push me back the PQD requirement and I've met the other requirements already), so would I have better luck contacting 1KVoice about EU261 after I qualify? Will I actually have access to the 1K contact info once those flights have posted (should be by Wednesday or Thursday, I would think), or do I have to wait for them to have to run some sort of qualification program that will automatically put me in the system. I don't know when I'll get the 1K contact info, so I don't know what the email address or phone number would be, or how I access that info once I've qualified (I've never been 1K before!).

Regarding the Wegener decision, is that something I should mention when I contact them initially?
Old Dec 7, 2018, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I have no idea whether the 1K agents ever come close to handling a EC261 (not EU261) case, but I doubt it. In any case, your status does not play any role in what you are due under the regulation.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I have no idea whether the 1K agents ever come close to handling a EC261 (not EU261) case, but I doubt it. In any case, your status does not play any role in what you are due under the regulation.
I wasn't sure if the 1K agents would be involved or not, but I didn't know if I might get it pushed to the correct place if I contacted them rather than Customer Care. So should I just contact them through this website? https://www.united.com/web/en-us/con...lt.aspx?POS=US

Regarding the EU261 vs EC261 nomenclature, I've always been confused by that...some places I read EC, some places EU. And the subject of this thread mentions EU, hence my reasoning for my naming here.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 5:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mpiotrow
I wasn't sure if the 1K agents would be involved or not, but I didn't know if I might get it pushed to the correct place if I contacted them rather than Customer Care. So should I just contact them through this website? https://www.united.com/web/en-us/con...lt.aspx?POS=US

Regarding the EU261 vs EC261 nomenclature, I've always been confused by that...some places I read EC, some places EU. And the subject of this thread mentions EU, hence my reasoning for my naming here.
Can't quote on internal UA policies, but ultimately it shouldn't matter because it's not a UA regulation.

In case you are interested (on correct name):

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/resource.html?uri=cellar:439cd3a7-fd3c-4da7-8bf4-b0f60600c1d6.0004.02/DOC_1&format=PDF
Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:05 pm

Programs: CO
So I have a single round trip ticket ORD-LHR and then had to book a second ticket on LH to MUC. Currently in MUC and supposed to fly to LHR in 5hrs then on to ORD. United cancelled my noon flight to ORD for maintenance and rebooked me on to a 3pm. My question is if I call them and explain that I’m actually in MUC and would be easier to just leave from here rather than a no 5hr layover in LHR will they put me on the nonstop MUC-ORD flight? Not sure if EU 261 covers something like this. I’m 1k if that makes any difference but assume not
Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nikbruno
So I have a single round trip ticket ORD-LHR and then had to book a second ticket on LH to MUC. Currently in MUC and supposed to fly to LHR in 5hrs then on to ORD. United cancelled my noon flight to ORD for maintenance and rebooked me on to a 3pm. My question is if I call them and explain that I’m actually in MUC and would be easier to just leave from here rather than a no 5hr layover in LHR will they put me on the nonstop MUC-ORD flight? Not sure if EU 261 covers something like this. I’m 1k if that makes any difference but assume not
It's worth calling to ask, although you likely forfeit any EC.261 rights from the delay. Being a 1K may help in terms of the flexibility they'll have.

It's in UA's best interest to help you out here to avoid having to pay you €600 if your arrival is delayed by three hours. Only you can decide what your time is worth.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
It's worth calling to ask, although you likely forfeit any EC.261 rights from the delay. Being a 1K may help in terms of the flexibility they'll have.

It's in UA's best interest to help you out here to avoid having to pay you €600 if your arrival is delayed by three hours. Only you can decide what your time is worth.
Alrighty thank you. UA also sent me an email offering a $175 flight credit - there is nothing in the language on this that suggest I will forfeit any EC261 claims but I just wanted to see if anyone has experience if I accept the credit and then file a claim?
Old Dec 9, 2018, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Alrighty thank you. UA also sent me an email offering a $175 flight credit - there is nothing in the language on this that suggest I will forfeit any EC261 claims but I just wanted to see if anyone has experience if I accept the credit and then file a claim?
I don't see how you'd have an EC.261 claim if you voluntarily re-route to MUC-ORD, unless MUC-ORD itself is delayed. You'd no longer have a three+ hour delay at your destination.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
I don't see how you'd have an EC.261 claim if you voluntarily re-route to MUC-ORD, unless MUC-ORD itself is delayed. You'd no longer have a three+ hour delay at your destination.
Im not rerouting, just asking whether I can accept the credit they are offering for the delay and then separately claim EC 261
Old Dec 9, 2018, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
i'm assuming the $175 flight credit is an ECERT for the three hour delay from London. If you have the time the $600 euros can turn into a $900 USD united ECERT plus the $175 and you have a pretty good afternoon.. the lounge in LHR is real nice
Im not rerouting, just asking whether I can accept the credit they are offering for the delay and then separately claim EC 261
Yes

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 9, 2018 at 11:49 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 9, 2018, 10:50 pm

Well this could get interesting... The inbound aircraft operating my new 3pm flight is delayed for 5.5hrs out of ORD now so I'll be interested to see if they cancel that one. Anyone have experience with a same day double cancellation ex EU? ha
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:48 am

Programs: LH*HON, UA*1K,
Well this could get interesting... The inbound aircraft operating my new 3pm flight is delayed for 5.5hrs out of ORD now so I'll be interested to see if they cancel that one. Anyone have experience with a same day double cancellation ex EU? ha

If the flight you are rebooked on is delayed as well, you are entitled to another 600 Euro compensation.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:00 pm

So United Just responded to my claim with this email “The rules state that any delay beyond 3 hours is to be compensated but if the customer is rerouted and the resulting delay is fewer than 4 hours, the customer is entitled 50% of the 600 EUR.”

is is this accurate? I arrived about 3hrs and 20 min after my originally scheduled flight LHR-ORD

Last edited by nikbruno; Dec 10, 2018 at 2:17 pm
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
So United Just responded to my claim with this email “The rules state that any delay beyond 3 hours is to be compensated but if the customer is rerouted and the resulting delay is fewer than 4 hours, the customer is entitled 50% of the 600 EUR.”

is is this accurate? I arrived about 3hrs and 20 min after my originally scheduled flight LHR-ORD
Seems to me that you have a double claim, if I read correctly up thread your first flight was canceled. And the rebook/replaced flight left about four hours after the planned departure (I just checked the flight status). You weren't re-routed rerouting is if they took you to another city for example LHR-DUB-ORD. So since your original flight was delayed more than three hours and the replacement flight was delayed more than three hours I believe you have a double claim. But I'll let the experts chime in on that.. if so you could have about $900 for each one in United money or €600 for each one. Good luck and let us know how it all turns out (this is in addition to any compensation they give you as an apology for your elite status)
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine

Seems to me that you have a double claim, if I read correctly up thread your first flight was canceled. And the rebook/replaced flight left about four hours after the planned departure (I just checked the flight status). You weren't re-routed rerouting is if they took you to another city for example LHR-DUB-ORD. So since your original flight was delayed more than three hours and the replacement flight was delayed more than three hours I believe you have a double claim. But I'll let the experts chime in on that.. if so you could have about $900 for each one in United money or €600 for each one. Good luck and let us know how it all turns out (this is in addition to any compensation they give you as an apology for your elite status)
I think re-routing in this case doesn't mean through another city, it means on any flights that you weren't originally booked on. So if you're booked LHR-EWR and then you get rebooked on a different LHR-EWR flight, that's "rerouting".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.