Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best Practices for Filing EC261/2004 ( EU 261 ) and UK 261 Claims Against United?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Practices for Filing EC261/2004 ( EU 261 ) and UK 261 Claims Against United?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2023, 9:44 am

Thank you hughw for sharing your experience. Even more helpful since you and your family members also chose the check (seems we are one of the very few!).
Old Sep 13, 2023, 8:40 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
My UA9xxx codeshare (operated by LH) had a delayed departure from MUC, causing me to miss my UA marketer/operated flight from FRA to the US, resulting in an overnight in FRA. Would my filing for EU261 be with LH (operating carrier) or with UA (codeshare)?
Old Sep 13, 2023, 8:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
My UA9xxx codeshare (operated by LH) had a delayed departure from MUC, causing me to miss my UA marketer/operated flight from FRA to the US, resulting in an overnight in FRA. Would my filing for EU261 be with LH (operating carrier) or with UA (codeshare)?
LH. Don't be surprised if they claim "air traffic control" and deny the claim (though they're still responsible for hotel and meals under duty of care).
Old Sep 13, 2023, 12:20 pm

Programs: BA Bronze! Avis PC
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Further, the current wait time for any response on an EU261 claim is running 7-8 weeks. Once you apply for comp you will have to wait. You'll get it since they clearly cancelled the flight for crew timeout issues. The $100 ETC was just a nice gesture. Many on here believe you shouldn't accept the ETC offer before "winning" your EU261 comp but I don't think it really hurts.

-RM
To update today 13th September received offer of $1,000 United Travel certificate or 50.000 miles. Alternatively advised if we wish to continue with EU261 compensation we are requested to provide postal address and they will send a dollar cheque. Decisions Decisions! Thanks for your help
Old Sep 13, 2023, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nufafa (Post # 1478)
Got it today!

Summary:
- 19 July: I filed the claim
- 30 August: mail from UA with compensation options.
- 31 August: I accepted compensation (TC)
- 1 September: I received TC by mail, and also posted on my UA account.
It is nice to see that the system is still functioning as it should.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 6:34 am

Programs: ANA SFC (*G)
Quick question: does EU261 apply for national US connecting fight even if it was ticketed on United? (Depart EU)

I did FRA - IAD - DTW on United metal, ticketed on United and the IAD - DTW leg was delayed for more than 7 hours (reason was incoming plane didn't come)
Old Sep 18, 2023, 6:42 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sodaisei
Quick question: does EU261 apply for national US connecting fight even if it was ticketed on United? (Depart EU)

I did FRA - IAD - DTW on United metal, ticketed on United and the IAD - DTW leg was delayed for more than 7 hours (reason was incoming plane didn't come)
The EU says yes (to the same extent that a flight departing the EU would be covered), UA's position is less clear.

Depending on why the plane wasn't at the airport you may or may not be successful. Earlier this summer I had a MAD-IAD-CLE where IAD-CLE was delayed > 3.5 hours due to maintenance (hydraulic leak) and I filed the claim more out of a 'what's the worst that could happen? at least I tried' and it took forever but UA honored it.
sodaisei likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by sodaisei

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
The EU says yes (to the same extent that a flight departing the EU would be covered), UA's position is less clear.

Depending on why the plane wasn't at the airport you may or may not be successful. Earlier this summer I had a MAD-IAD-CLE where IAD-CLE was delayed > 3.5 hours due to maintenance (hydraulic leak) and I filed the claim more out of a 'what's the worst that could happen? at least I tried' and it took forever but UA honored it.
You can quote a case that was directly against United... Case C-561/20 Q v. United Airlines, Inc

The court ruled in favor of the plaintiff, and this became the law. Domestic connections within the US are covered if the domestic flight is part of a single trip from the EU to outside of the EU. You should be looking at it as FRA-DTW flight. It doesn't matter to you that there's multiple segments in between. United delayed you in arrival to DTW from FRA.

Last edited by smartytravel; Sep 18, 2023 at 7:02 am
Old Sep 18, 2023, 8:51 am

Programs: ANA SFC (*G)
Thanks for the quick answer.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 2:42 pm

Flight delayed CDG to EWR

Hello. Our flight was delayed from CDG to EWR last Wednesday about 4.5 hours. They did offer to switch our flight to one with a connection. Upon arriving at the airport United gave us a food voucher and the attached document where it says if we are delayed 3 or more hours we are entitled to €300. "
  1. If vour flight is cancelled or delaved by 3 or more hours to your final destination or vou are involuntarily denied boarding, you are entitled to receive €600 in compensation from us. If, however, we offer you re-routing on an alternative flight that will arrive within four hours of the arrival time of the flight on which you were originally booked, your compensation can be reduced to €300.
I submitted the info to them and they sent me an email saying that they would credit us $250. Should I be contacting them and asking for the €300?

Thanks for your insight.

Old Sep 18, 2023, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Have you checked to see what time the offered connection actually arrived?
CApreppie likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 18, 2023 at 5:48 pm Reason: cleanup after merge; thanks for the link
Old Sep 19, 2023, 6:18 am

I did not. I guess I should have.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 7:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by sunshine10021
I did not. I guess I should have.
It's not too late to look...what was the date and flight number?
Old Oct 15, 2023, 10:59 am

Ec 261/2004

We have a clear EC 261 situation (mechanical cancellation on nonstop flight from EU to US; they rebooked us on the next available flight 24 hours later). I have never had this on UA before. Are they likely to give me a hard time, or just process and pay without too much effort on my part? My understanding is I get a full refund of my fare (miles plus tax) plus 600 Euros per passenger, plus hotel reimbursement for overnight delay. Is that right?
Old Oct 15, 2023, 11:34 am

Programs: UA1K
You won't get a full refund of your flight. Would be nice though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.