Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best Practices for Filing EC261/2004 ( EU 261 ) and UK 261 Claims Against United?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Practices for Filing EC261/2004 ( EU 261 ) and UK 261 Claims Against United?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2023, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fed planner
And is it typically a mailed check or how do they reimburse.
EC.261 requires a cash (mailed check) offer; however, UA will offer you a $1000 travel credit to eschew the €600 check, in which case it'll show up in email and in your account.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by jsloan
EC.261 requires a cash (mailed check) offer; however, UA will offer you a $1000 travel credit to eschew the €600 check, in which case it'll show up in email and in your account.
As a 1K, I received an ETC without doing anything that was less than that and other travelers without status got less, so it was clearly not related to EU261. It was not what I expected for what happened but at the end of the day United did the best they could given the situation. That included a full plane accommodated in a single hotel.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As a 1K, I received an ETC without doing anything that was less than that and other travelers without status got less, so it was clearly not related to EU261. It was not what I expected for what happened but at the end of the day United did the best they could given the situation. That included a full plane accommodated in a single hotel.
Did you request EC.261 compensation specifically? Did UA give a reason for the cancelation?
Old Jul 29, 2023, 12:12 pm

Did you request EC.261 compensation specifically? Did UA give a reason for the cancelation?
yes we did request compensation and are waiting. We sat on the plane 5 hours (two returns to gate, a remote stand at least) and then Crew tuned out. Mx issue was cockpit door lock would not stay locked and one other related issue to the door status. So really also Security issue I suppose.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

yes we did request compensation and are waiting. We sat on the plane 5 hours (two returns to gate, a remote stand at least) and then Crew tuned out. Mx issue was cockpit door lock would not stay locked and one other related issue to the door status. So really also Security issue I suppose.
Ah, OK, now I understand. You got the Customer Cares compensation, less than EC.261, and then filed a request for EC.261. That's normal -- UA seems to treat all flights the same when it comes to customer service gestures. A cynic might think that this is to confuse passengers or to otherwise dissuade them from filing EC.261, but regardless, the two aren't connected. Some people will delay accepting the Customer Cares ETC out of a surfeit of caution, but I can't see UA trying to argue, e.g., "You accepted a $250 voucher in lieu of a €600 check," and in fact there have not been any reports of them trying this.

So, you should get the option for an additional $1000 ETC, or the aforementioned check, once they get to your request in the queue.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 1:17 pm

So, you should get the option for an additional $1000 ETC, or the aforementioned check, once they get to your request in the queue.
That sounds right. So, does $1000 ETC = €600 in United’s eyes? And would anyone regardless of status get the same ETC?
Old Jul 29, 2023, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That sounds right. So, does $1000 ETC = €600 in United’s eyes? And would anyone regardless of status get the same ETC?
Yes, that's been consistently offered to everyone, regardless of status, who's reported back for at least the last several years. I believe you also have the option of MileagePlus miles -- 50K, I think -- but few people choose those.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 3:35 pm

Is the ETC good for one or two years?
Old Jul 29, 2023, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is the ETC good for one or two years?
Good for one year from the date of issue, but that’s a use-by date, not a travel-by date. So, you can use it for any ticket you can purchase in the next year, which makes it effectively two years, or thereabouts. You can potentially extend it further by converting it into a Future Flight Credit, although that’s subject to UA revising its rules.
fed planner and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 6:21 am

Programs: DL Platinum UA Silver
Originally Posted by aok336423
With everything going on with the NE weather, I'm not sure if right now is the best time to escalate a prior customer service complaint, or if I should wait it out a little longer. It's been a little over 4 weeks since I sent the initial email to Customer Care, and I haven't received any response other than the auto-generated email with a case number. Does anyone have any advice as to how long should I wait to hear back about compensation before following up and any recommendations on follow up steps?

End of May I was booked with UA on all UA metal ZRH-IAD-CLT. The inbound aircraft for our Zurich to IAD flight was significantly delayed due to maintenance (4+ hours), so our flight was delayed by more than enough to force a misconnect by at least a couple of hours and thus overnight in IAD. We got rebooked on LX ZRH-ORD-GSO. We arrived in ORD on time, but flight from ORD-GSO was hit with maintenance delays and eventual crew time out. We were forced to spend the night in ORD. I know there’s gonna be some gray area here around 261, since this is out of Switzerland, but I’m pretty sure this is still covered. I was thinking of forwarding my initial message to Jamey Vincent and Bryan Stoller, but I wasn't sure how much longer I should wait.
Just an update on the situation mentioned above. I ended waiting until 7/15 before I sent an email cc'ing the customer service leadership asking them to look into the case number. I got a response same day offering $1000 ETC/50k miles. Decided to just take the $1000 ETC. I'm glad they ended up honoring it here. Also got $200 check per person for additional expenses. Netted out to cover the hotel in ORD, food, and bag fee LX charged. Not sure if anyone else had ever run into the situation when they're rebooked on a partner airline with a worse baggage policy that originally scheduled flight. LX check-in staff said they couldn't waive fee or honor UA policy. ETC and check arrived around 7/24, so I was glad to end up getting it all in the end though.

Still a little disappointed at how long the whole process took. During that same trip I had gotten caught up in the British Airways IT meltdown with multiple cancelled flights. I was impressed with the BA compensation request form and the speed of the overall process. BA responded within like 10 days and had the cash compensation in my account in less than 3 weeks.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 6:34 am

Programs: BA Bronze! Avis PC
EU261 applicable?

Hi all.

Need some advice on 26th June UA977 from SNN (Ireland) to EWR was cancelled due to insufficient rest hours. We accepted the auto reroute departure 24hrs later via ORD to our final destination was SFO. I duly applied for EU261 but received a $100 flight credit!
Clearly not what I was expecting. I conclude i can challenge for the appropriate EU261 compensation? Your advice would be appreciated. Thx

Last edited by MM00LL2; Aug 2, 2023 at 3:36 pm
Old Aug 2, 2023, 11:40 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MM00LL2
... I duly applied for EU261 but received a $100 flight credit!...
How did you apply? There is a specific process thru https://www.united.com/en/us/customercare under complaint
The ETC is not a substitute for EU261 compensation
Old Aug 2, 2023, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by MM00LL2
Hi all.

Need some advice on 26th June UA977 from SNN (Ireland) to EWR was cancelled due to insufficient rest hours. We accepted the auto reroute departure 24hrs later via ORD to our final destination was SFO. I duly applied for EU261 but received a $100 flight credit!
Clearly not what I was expecting. I conclude i can challenge for the appropriate EU261 compensation? Your advice would be appropriated. Thx
Further, the current wait time for any response on an EU261 claim is running 7-8 weeks. Once you apply for comp you will have to wait. You'll get it since they clearly cancelled the flight for crew timeout issues. The $100 ETC was just a nice gesture. Many on here believe you shouldn't accept the ETC offer before "winning" your EU261 comp but I don't think it really hurts.

-RM
Old Aug 3, 2023, 2:52 pm

My family (3 of us) was returning to the US, LHR to ORD Monday, July 24th. Our flight was canceled (due to mechanical issues) and we were all rebooked to depart the next day, Tuesday, July 25th.
I put in a complaint via https://www.united.com/en/us/customercare with receipts for the extra overnight stay in our rental property. Yesterday exactly one week after my submission I got an email for a single $100 electronic travel certificate referencing my rewards membership number.
There is no reference to my complaint and the reference number I had was not in this email.

Do you think this is all we will get or is the complaint still pending?
Old Aug 3, 2023, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zeebrock
My family (3 of us) was returning to the US, LHR to ORD Monday, July 24th. Our flight was canceled (due to mechanical issues) and we were all rebooked to depart the next day, Tuesday, July 25th.
I put in a complaint via https://www.united.com/en/us/customercare with receipts for the extra overnight stay in our rental property. Yesterday exactly one week after my submission I got an email for a single $100 electronic travel certificate referencing my rewards membership number.
There is no reference to my complaint and the reference number I had was not in this email.

Do you think this is all we will get or is the complaint still pending?
Did you refer to UK.261 specifically?

UK.261/EC,261 Responses seem to be taking 6-8 weeks at the moment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.