Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Lack of BusinessFirst SFO-EWR Flights; Fluke, or discontinuation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
Question Lack of BusinessFirst SFO-EWR Flights; Fluke, or discontinuation?

So last year I flew SFO <-> EWR for the first time in "BusinessFirst" which had lie-flat seats, an oversized LCD (compared to what I was used to anyway) and was, well, just awesome.

It was also my first time flying SFO <-> EWR instead of SFO <-> JFK on p.s.

For the past 3 or 4 months now, I've been trying to find that BusinessFirst flight again but I can never seem to locate it. It is finally occurring to me that I might have just gotten lucky and this was a last minute plane change and I just got super lucky.

Is there such a thing as BusinessFirst between SFO and EWR? This was on the former Continental. Or has such a thing been discontinued? Or was I just lucky?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 15, 2012 at 11:46 am Reason: really vague thread title
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:29 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by RdFltErr
So last year I flew SFO <-> EWR for the first time in "BusinessFirst" which had lie-flat seats, an oversized LCD (compared to what I was used to anyway) and was, well, just awesome.

It was also my first time flying SFO <-> EWR instead of SFO <-> JFK on p.s.

For the past 3 or 4 months now, I've been trying to find that BusinessFirst flight again but I can never seem to locate it. It is finally occurring to me that I might have just gotten lucky and this was a last minute plane change and I just got super lucky.

Is there such a thing as BusinessFirst between SFO and EWR? This was on the former Continental. Or has such a thing been discontinued? Or was I just lucky?
It was scheduled with more frequency on the old CO...you can fly PS between SFO & JFK to get better seats..but to EWR mostly it's just the regular domestic config although there is upgraded meal service with menus SFO/LAX-EWR.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
It was scheduled with more frequency on the old CO...you can fly PS between SFO & JFK to get better seats..but to EWR mostly it's just the regular domestic config although there is upgraded meal service with menus SFO/LAX-EWR.
But what about the planes that had the BusinessFirst seats? How do I find them?

When I check flights between SFO and EWR the seat configs do not match the BusinessFirst seats listed on SeatGuru.com so I can not figure out if this is the right plane style or not...

Maybe I'm doing a poor job asking the right question, sorry.

I guess the simpler question is: Does BusinessFirst exist between SFO and EWR and, if so, how do I book it?

The planes I'm seeing are definitely "standard" business/first class seats, not the lie-flats.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:38 am

The int'l configured 752's do fly a few EWR-SFO/LAX frequencies but as noted it does not seem like it is as frequent as it once was. Also if you thought EWR-LAX/SFO upgrades were hard, an upgrade on an int'l bird takes it to another level. I am on one of these birds tomorrow on EWR-LAX on a B fare and F was full 5 days ago. I'm on another one Weds back to EWR, with only 2 or 3 open F seats, I doubt my waitlisted RPU will clear.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nova08
The int'l configured 752's do fly a few EWR-SFO/LAX frequencies but as noted it does not seem like it is as frequent as it once was. Also if you thought EWR-LAX/SFO upgrades were hard, an upgrade on an int'l bird takes it to another level. I am on one of these birds tomorrow on EWR-LAX on a B fare and F was full 5 days ago. I'm on another one Weds back to EWR, with only 2 or 3 open F seats, I doubt my waitlisted RPU will clear.
You are right, I just checked again. Out of 10 planes on October 19th, 2 of them have the upgraded First cabin!

I swear I checked this a month or two ago and there were NONE but maybe I just clicked on what was listed as 757-200, saw the standard config and assumed all the 757-200s were the same.

It appears there is no visual indicator on the different planes on the search page, you have to click the seat map on each of the 757-200s shown. Not horribly painful but I digress.

Thanks for the response.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:41 am

Programs: UA GS
The op may be excited to hear that all p.s. JFK transcon routes will shortly be operated by two-cabin 757s featuring the BF seat.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rofitting.html
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:58 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jsl42
The op may be excited to hear that all p.s. JFK transcon routes will shortly be operated by two-cabin 757s featuring the BF seat.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rofitting.html
the excitement may be partially tempered since there will be 10 less premium cabin seats, so upgrades will be greatly reduced.
In economy, there is a similar good news, bad news -- E+ seats will get another inch or 2 of leg space but E- will be introduce to the new planes. Total passenger capacity will be increased so overhead baggage space will be stressed.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:07 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by nova08
Is the return on a B fare too?

OP, did you check the 2:30pm EWR-SFO flight? Not sure if it will operate on the day you are traveling, but lately that flight was operated by 2 and 3 class international configured 767s.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by golfingboy
Is the return on a B fare too?

OP, did you check the 2:30pm EWR-SFO flight? Not sure if it will operate on the day you are traveling, but lately that flight was operated by 2 and 3 class international configured 767s.
No, yes that would hurt my chances I presume. Last Wednesday I had to book at last minute trip for this week. Flying EWR-LAX-EWR-PHL, oddly enough EWR-LAX priced into B and LAX-EWR-PHL priced into G. Maybe because LAX-EWR is one of the Weds night redeyes
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K
To the OP: You're looking for a flight whose equipment is 757-200 and which is operated by Continental-subsidiary equipment / crew / pilots. Most sCO flight numbers are two-digit or four-digit. If you see a three-digit flight number on a 757-200, it's probably got a 24-seat domestic F cabin and is operated by UA equipment.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mherdeg
To the OP: You're looking for a flight whose equipment is 757-200 and which is operated by Continental-subsidiary equipment / crew / pilots. Most sCO flight numbers are two-digit or four-digit. If you see a three-digit flight number on a 757-200, it's probably got a 24-seat domestic F cabin and is operated by UA equipment.
Ahhhh ! Thanks!

Yes that is just the ticket! That is the trick I am looking for, makes searching much easier. Thanks for that, I would have never guessed it.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Keep in mind that aircrafts get swapped all the time, and there is no recourse if you book a pmCO 752 with flat beds on a domestic route and end up in a regular first class seat.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by mherdeg
+1

1-199, 1000-1299, & 1400-1744 are CO flight numbers.

True UA aircraft are 200-999.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:08 am

I did a roundtrip SFO-EWR last month, picked out the 3 cabin 767 operating this route. I adjusted my schedule so that I could take these flights - love any chance to fly in the intl. F cabin on a domestic route, and the 763 has the best F experience IMO. Too bad the SFO-LAX-SFO 3 cass 777 is no longer operating, that was nice while it lasted..
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Keep in mind that aircrafts get swapped all the time, and there is no recourse if you book a pmCO 752 with flat beds on a domestic route and end up in a regular first class seat.
Right you are....just happened to me. I was in Y on an intl 752 EWR-LAX today and 6 hours before departure it was upgraded to a 753. I am now in F but I actually would have prefered the 752 due to the AVOD/IFE that the 753 lacks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.