Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Problem with seat reservation on United flight booked as a LH codeshare.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2012, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / Intercontinental Ambassador/IHG Platinum

I was just after some advice please.

In March I booked a trip for myself and my partner to the USA from London,UK using the Lufthansa website (I am a LH senator/ * G).

The outbound leg is a LH codeshare operated by United, and the return (via Frankfurt) is operated by Lufthansa. Both in economy.

When I booked I was able to select seats on all the flights including premium economy on the United operated flight. All of my seat selections were confirmed and I have documentation from March to show this.

Yesterday I logged into my booking on the Lufthansa website and took a look at the seating plan for the outbound leg and I decided to move my seats slightly in the premium economy section as it appeared to be giving me the option to do so.

I was able to select any seat in premium economy and just moved the seats back a few rows. I then clicked on save booking, but when I went back into the check the booking the seats on the outbound leg were listed as "(requested)", and some minutes later as "(not possible / cancelled)".

At this point I tried to re-select my original seats (which had been confirmed for the previous 6 months) but the same thing happened... eeek!

I rang Lufthansa and they are not sure what is going on - they said they can see I had confirmed seats in row 21 (2nd row of premium economy) from my booking history but cannot access the seating plan for the flight on their system at the moment. They suggested calling back in a few days.

I checked on uniteds website and it says that economy plus is only available to United status members or if you pay a fee. I assume this is why I can't change the seat, but I was already confirmed in premium economy for the previous 6 months, and if this is the case I am surprised I can select the seats on lh.com - if I do a dummy booking on LH.com with no Miles and More status then I cannot select premium economy seats on the same flight.

I would never have tried to move the seats if I'd known that the change would be denied and lose me my originally confirmed seats in the same cabin.

Any idea what I should / can do, or should I just wait until checking in with United at LHR? There are only 4 single seats in the middle of different rows left in normal economy...
Old Sep 7, 2012, 11:06 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by StefanVonWochen
I would never have tried to move the seats if I'd known that the change would be denied and lose me my originally confirmed seats in the same cabin.

Any idea what I should / can do, or should I just wait until checking in with United at LHR? ...
strictly speaking your previous access to E+ was in error -- you should have not been able to have book those seats. Six months ago UA was starting (and still is) a major system integration / change and appears you initially benefited from a glitch.

What can be done now? probably nothing unless you are willing to pay for the E+ access. Waiting until check-in will probably just mean a more limited choice of seats and fee still needed. There is a chance if you have no E- seat assigment that at checkin you may get E+ for free -- but the seating choice is likely to be very limited.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Indeed. I spoke to United and they said that although they could see I was confirmed in premium economy seats since March (which they said was on their old IT system), trying to move the seats meant the current IT system kicked in and denied the change leaving me with no allocated seats. I was told I would have to pay to get those seats back during the phone call, and that there was no way around this.

Lufthansa were of the opinion that I was able to select premium economy seats when I booked because I am a senator and it might be part of the revenue / ticketing share agreement LH and United have for cross Atlantic travel, but that it might only allow it when you initially book. They weren't sure, and agree that it is strange that I can see and select the seats within my booking on LH.com because normally any seats you can't take or have any right to sit in are greyed out.

I just think that under the circumstances, I don't think it is the best customer service to ask me to pay $260 to get back the same seats I already had confirmed whether or not the previous access at booking time may have been an error (which United would not categorically state was the case during my call, they did confirm that I would still have the same seats in PE if I'd not requested a change, and they could see how the LH.com website would lead me to believe moving seats wouldn't be an issue if it is displayed as I described).
Old Sep 9, 2012, 7:09 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Lufthansa, I am afraid, is wrong. UA does not give E+ away to *A elites. And there is definitely weirdness going on with LH.com and seat assignments on other airlines: I have an upcoming trip on Swiss in C and I can move my seat anywhere I want, but a minute later I am back where I was.

As far as customer service, the new United would rather have the $260 in hand now, even if it means you never fly them again. It's sad, I know.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Generally I would absolutely agree with you about E+ (I only looked into how E+ works after my seat reservation went pear shaped) but both LH and United said there is a possibility the system allowed me (as a SEN) to book into E+ on a cross atlantic code share if booked on LH.com due to the operational agreement between LH and UA on the route. Neither of them knew for sure.

All I can do is take my chance at the airport - there is no room in normal economy on the flight - it's all occupied on the seat map.

Seems strange that UA don't care about a LH Sen on a route they both market, both sell on their websites, and revenue share on.

:/
Old Sep 9, 2012, 3:15 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
You can see many threads here complaining about the same thing: no E+ for *G. (And indeed, now only the day before for UA*S)

Seems strange that UA don't care about a LH Sen on a route they both market, both sell on their websites, and revenue share on./
United doesn't care about future revenue from their own customers. Why would they care about someone else's? They are perfectly capable of saying "He's a LH*G, let him fly on LH. We get revenue anyway."
Old Sep 9, 2012, 4:23 pm

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
Generally I would absolutely agree with you about E+ (I only looked into how E+ works after my seat reservation went pear shaped) but both LH and United said there is a possibility the system allowed me (as a SEN) to book into E+ on a cross atlantic code share if booked on LH.com due to the operational agreement between LH and UA on the route. Neither of them knew for sure.

All I can do is take my chance at the airport - there is no room in normal economy on the flight - it's all occupied on the seat map.

Seems strange that UA don't care about a LH Sen on a route they both market, both sell on their websites, and revenue share on.

:/
Strange a UA customer service rep. wouldn't know you are not eligible for free Economy Plus seating in advance as an LH SEN. Not strange that UA wouldn't care about a LH Sen. I'm a UA silver and I'm certainly not feeling the love this year, as I can only choose seats in E+ free at OLCI, 24 hours in advance.

If you want these seats, I'd pay for them now. There's always a chance you could grab an E+ seat the day of the flight at no charge, especially if E- is full, but no guarantee.

Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
United doesn't care about future revenue from their own customers. Why would they care about someone else's? They are perfectly capable of saying "He's a LH*G, let him fly on LH. We get revenue anyway."
+1
Old Mar 31, 2013, 3:11 pm

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
It is sort of disheartening to "seem" to be able to book an E+ seat on an UA metal, LH codeshare, on the LH website and then have it taken away.

Either provide the capability or take it away UA/LH!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.