Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Cancelled and trying to rebook - price went up

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2012, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA General

I booked an itinerary and realized that I forgot to apply a coupon that I had, so I cancelled it within 10 minutes. However, when I went back immediately after cancellation to book the same itinerary with the same fare classes, the price went up like $50! Should I try to wait and see if releasing this seat back to the inventory will bring the price down again (and if so, wait how long)? Or I should just book the ticket since the price probably is going to keep going up?

The ticket is for departure on Sep 18, 2012.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 8:43 am

Programs: UA Gold/1MM
Did you pay attention to "2 seats remaining at this price" alerts when you are searching? Whatever fare class you purchased (check receipt) is probably no longer available. Airline may release more seats or someone else may cancel, but thats not guaranteed.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 8:52 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Complain to the DOT .........oh, wrong thread. It's a crap shoot. Even though there may be plenty of seats left in economy, you may have gotten the last 2 seats at that particular fare class. The trip is in less then 2 weeks so chances are, the fare will get higher, not lower. Grab it now. It's a $50 lesson you learned. It could have been worse
Old Sep 1, 2012, 10:12 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Welcome to the world of dynamic pricing.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I personally wouldn't wait - especially if you *have* to take the flights. Pay the $50 and chalk it up to a mistake and learn from the experience. Never do it again

-RM
Old Sep 1, 2012, 10:47 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by dreamfool
I booked an itinerary and realized that I forgot to apply a coupon that I had, so I cancelled it within 10 minutes. However, when I went back immediately after cancellation to book the same itinerary with the same fare classes, the price went up like $50! Should I try to wait and see if releasing this seat back to the inventory will bring the price down again (and if so, wait how long)? Or I should just book the ticket since the price probably is going to keep going up?

I have noticed that before as well. Not when purchasing, but when selecting flights and going to the purchase page and not completing for one reason or another. If you go back right away to the reservation page, the fare may have went up. However, if you wait some minutes 15 or so, they usually come back to the original fare you wanted. Maybe its something to do with Inventoy being deducted when you first selected, then being placed back in inventory after the system sees that they were not purchased?? Has anyone else noticed this??
Old Sep 1, 2012, 11:25 am

Programs: UA 1P

I would try and delete your cookies and cache. I have had your scenario pmCO and the prices would change daily, but when I cleared cookies, the prices were back to the original pricing. Since the united website is based on pmCO....it may be worth a try.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA General
Originally Posted by tashi
Did you pay attention to "2 seats remaining at this price" alerts when you are searching? Whatever fare class you purchased (check receipt) is probably no longer available. Airline may release more seats or someone else may cancel, but thats not guaranteed.
Yeah, I did see that alert and it said there was more than 1 left, and since I only bought 1, I would assume I could buy it again at that price moments later (unless someone bought the rest before I could get to it, but somehow I think it is unlikely since I did it within a very short timeframe).

Originally Posted by goofy777
I would try and delete your cookies and cache. I have had your scenario pmCO and the prices would change daily, but when I cleared cookies, the prices were back to the original pricing. Since the united website is based on pmCO....it may be worth a try.
I tried that and it didn't work.

I need to take this trip (dates are a little bit flexible) so I guess I will pay the higher fare. Do you think I can restore the cancelled reservation back (at the original price), and apply the coupon to it?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 1, 2012 at 1:02 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 1, 2012, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
I need to take this trip (dates are a little bit flexible) so I guess I will pay the higher fare. Do you think I can restore the cancelled reservation back (at the original price), and apply the coupon to it?
No.

The best approach would have been to just use the coupon at a later date. (If your profile is still accurate, presumably you'll fly UA again as a 2P.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.