Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United gave me a cookie - what's the catch

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United gave me a cookie - what's the catch

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2012, 8:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
Originally Posted by wayan
What's the catch?
Did you read the fine print on the back? It's a so-called shrink-wrap agreement. You've agreed to waive your right to receive compensation or make DOT complaints.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:26 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Why does everything have to have a string attached to it? Sometimes a cookie is just a cookie.

Although, would OP care to explain how does one acquire such cookie?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:33 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I hear that on flights ex PVG, passengers will receive a fortune cookie which contains a prediction of what day of the week they will actually depart. This is a pre-test, and if successful fortune cookies will be rolled out system wide.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:03 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by OMAguy
a nice gesture - i am sure Ms. Fields provided them at a hefty discount since it is free advertising for her company - but still a nice gesture...

the person responsible for the cookie does not have the power to fix all the problems at the *new* united, but did something that was thoughtful.

odd at boarding time though - guess there was too much coordination to load on the plane to hand out somewhere over nebraska en route.
The F/A's said they would not hand out the cookies since its not in their contract. They also don't want to have to use up to much energy handing them out when really, they are there for our safety first
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:09 am

Programs: AA EXP/US CP, United 1K (1MM) , Marriott Plat, Avis Plus
FYI, not real Mrs. Fields, a lot smaller, pre-made and packaged, so a lot of perservatives and no ideal in the handling to get them to the gate. Though I doubt they can get smaller than the ones in FC.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:12 am

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by aacharya
Care to explain which CC overrides UDUs? And I don't mean the award ticket United Club benefit, which follows the same UDU logic?
There was just a thread the other day...non-status, non-CC members being upgraded before Plats (i.e. you) just because a 1K CC member booked an award for them. Is that logical to you?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by aluminumdriver
Just saw this on our United PR bulletin. Just a new attempt from management to show some appreciation for your business.

Now in my world, running a smart, safe, and on-time operation with working amenities would show passengers we care for their business. Not really sure how a cookie does that.

AD

The should comp drink like delta does for elites in back.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:17 am

Programs: 2012 Plat-2013 Plat-2014 Silver-2015 GM
I know this is rare for me, but I am a little less cynical than others on this. For me, a Journey of a Thousand Miles Starts With The First Step. Of course we'd rather have flights leaving on time, no Mx, no PNR splits, protected seat assignments and UG's that work the way they are supposed to, but absent those, which is seemingly hard for UA to get right, a simple gesture like a Cookie is what they can do right now. In other words, it's a start, and maybe, hopefully, more to come. We'll see.

Now a cookie isn't going to satisfy some/most /many of us on FT, we've got different needs/expectations than others, but just think of the kettles that will be talking about their cookie for weeks to come.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Do you feel more entitled now??
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
don't eat it, like map your nightmares they'll soon ask for it back and that won't be pleasant if it's partially digested...
Old Aug 21, 2012, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Be aware that if you are not hyper-vigilant, a united employee will split your cookie in half at T-24. The right half might be upgraded to an apple pie, but you will be forced to eat the left half off of the bathroom floor.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
DEN GA's handing out "At the heart of our business is you" cookies

Handed out to every boarding pax this morning, at least at B47.
Is this the new UA slogan?
And just before closing the door, GA announces "... we appreciate your loyalty and thank you for being the heart of our business".
Did not add "all except you over-entitled elites."

Old Aug 21, 2012, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by murphyUA
There was just a thread the other day...non-status, non-CC members being upgraded before Plats (i.e. you) just because a 1K CC member booked an award for them. Is that logical to you?
Well, Plat companions upgrade ahead of golds, so... goes both ways.

It's a published benefit that if you use your miles to buy an award ticket for someone, that ticket gets your status (bags, changes, think even lounge access, etc)

So better for high-status folks, worse for the rest.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM & *A Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
A consolation prize, since you're apparently sitting in row 21 due to the final few seats in F being sold as TODs, and because your A is going to be numb after 5 hours in those PMCO seats
OMG! I just hurt myself laughing at this while in the share van at SFO!!

For the record, I did not eat the cookie. I didn't want the $25 cookie fee, but I did get comped drinks the whole flight while in economy (exit row, thank you). They loved my wonderings on the cookie strings - even flight attendants are skeptical of "free" things from CO/UA.

Originally Posted by channa
Did everyone get a cookie, or just some people get a cookie?
Everyone got a cookie, not everyone ate it. Looked pretty stiff and preservative to me. Not Ms. Fields or even Tolehouse

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 21, 2012 at 1:36 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 21, 2012, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA Global Services / Million Miler, Marriott Ambassador / Lifetime Titanium
Hold the phone - apparently they gave the wrong cookies out. They are taking them all back immediately - even if you ate it. In about 6-8 weeks, they will redistribute the "correct" cookies - but you won't be able to tell if you got the correct one or not. But trust your cookie balance anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.