Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What advice would you give to those who have just started?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What advice would you give to those who have just started?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 2013: UA 1K (2013: 4/7 UDU, 2012: from GM to 1K!), Global Entry
Thumbs up What advice would you give to those who have just started?

Just started flying frequently in the past few months and hit Silver typically on longer flights (BOS<->SFO/SAN). I haven't tried out any of the benefits yet, but I was wondering if you could give advice to yourself when you were in my position, what advice would you give? Thanks for all your input!
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, initforthelonghaul

It may sound simplistic, but read, read, read ... here on FT and on the airline websites.

The whole of FF world has many facets and a first step is to determine what aspects matter to you. It is not a homogenous path / experience.
Some questions you will need to answer--
Why do you want to be an elite?
What are the benefits that will mean the most to you?
What do you want to do with the miles?
How much flying will you be doing?
What is a realistic elite level for you?

Reading here on FT was the best way I found to educate myself. It will not all happen overnight but if you stick around, soon you will be advising others.

have fun!
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
initforthelonghaul - if your handle is your intention - pick another airline is my advice.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 2013: UA 1K (2013: 4/7 UDU, 2012: from GM to 1K!), Global Entry
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Welcome to FT!, initforthelonghaul

It may sound simplistic, but read, read, read ... here on FT and on the airline websites.

The whole of FF world has many facets and a first step is to determine what aspects matter to you. It is not a homogenous path / experience.
Some questions you will need to answer--
Why do you want to be an elite?
What are the benefits that will mean the most to you?
What do you want to do with the miles?
How much flying will you be doing?
What is a realistic elite level for you?

Reading here on FT was the best way I found to educate myself. It will not all happen overnight but if you stick around, soon you will be advising others.

have fun!
All great questions to keep in mind while reading here. Thank-you.

Originally Posted by ozstamps
initforthelonghaul - if your handle is your intention - pick another airline is my advice.
Not a choice, but a prescription by my company. I am making do, for now.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Beat me to it. Honestly though, reading the forums and simply flying a lot will help.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:03 am

Programs: AS 100K
To me, one of the most valuable aspects of flying UA for status is the accumulation of miles and their ease of redemption... what's the one place you've always dreamed of flying first class to for free? Look it up on United.com and you'll see it's actually quite easy; you just need the miles.

Other perks are cool, though we lost A LOT of them with this horrible merger that seems to have combined, for the most part, the worst of two companies. The mileage redemption is frankly the biggest thing preventing me from switching to AA.

While you're at it, you should apply for the Explorer card 65,000 bonus mile offer. See all the details in the relevant MilesBuzz thread.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:05 am

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by initforthelonghaul
Just started flying frequently in the past few months and hit Silver typically on longer flights (BOS<->SFO/SAN). I haven't tried out any of the benefits yet, but I was wondering if you could give advice to yourself when you were in my position, what advice would you give? Thanks for all your input!
I think it's all relative on "how frequently". Transcons and just hitting silver isn't really so frequent. That's really roughly 5 round trips on such routes.

To give you the OP any real advice we're gonna need a lot more information on your flying patterns and expected total annual travel, fare class, etc.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:15 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by initforthelonghaul
but I was wondering if you could give advice to yourself when you were in my position, what advice would you give? Thanks for all your input!
Doesnt apply really because things are different now from when most of us started. When I started being elite - even silver - had meaning so it was even worthwhile doing a mileage run just to get silver elite status.

Now most of us have identity crisis and are trying to rediscover who we are. The other day I was sitting next to a baffled 1K who was sitting in a BF seat and befuddled to relize before takeoff that his AVOD had no sound. And even more perlexed when they said oh that's 4K, not been working for a while, didn't they tell you. Of course this poor 1K was wondering why they didnt say at any point up to boarding that the seat didnt work so he could switch. By time he realized, they had filled the BF cabin with op-ups on standby for the flight. If 1Ks seem not to have value what hope for silvers?Even, the airlines struggle to discover that too as the difference between elite and non-elite becomes vaguer by the day.

If starting again I might go freelance and have no allegiances to any airline, but now we are so fixed in our ways that difficult to change...
Old Aug 19, 2012, 2:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K/2MM, Marriott Platinum Premier Lifetime
No, in this case if you are brand new I think you don't know what you don't know. Take a deep breath and go in with an open mind.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 3:38 am

Programs: UA GS, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors Gold
First of all - welcome from another relative FT newbie. I've been flying UA/CO on and off now for 15+ years, sometimes with status and sometimes not. FWIW, here are my observations:

1. Most other posters are correct: "status" doesn't have the same meaning it did pre-merger. Don't expect to get upgraded and you will be pleasantly surprised when it does happen. I just hit Platinum and on a recent IAD-DEN-SEA-LAX-IAD trip, it was a nice surprise to get BF on the flight home. In my best Grandpa Simpson voice - back in my day (late 90s) on the old CO, I had Gold and would get upgraded on almost every domestic flight. That doesn't happen much.

2. Seems to me that international upgrades are a crapshoot, even with a Y, B or M ticket and miles/GPUs. Again, be patient, read other posts for strategies and tips, and be pleasantly surprised if it does happen.

3. Do you have any way to get on at least one transpac per year? It's very difficult to get anything other than Silver or Gold flying domestically. Those long haul Asia flights can really help rack up the miles and status.

4. Best part about the program isn't the benefits, but the miles. I don't think the missus or I have paid for an airline ticket in years. We've managed to book two trips for three of us first class to SYD, half a dozen times to LHR and tons of other domestic trips using miles. Use every opportunity to earn 'em.

Good luck.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 4:11 am

Welcome to FT! While MP surely is not a perfect program for each and every frequent flyer, I would say it is definitely one of the best programs if not the very top one. Just be patient and keep your expectation low before your reaching 1K status. Planning on getting more benefits by reading all the posts on FT has made my life colorful.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 6:28 am

Programs: UA Gold / *A Gold
If you enjoy using a lounge, you might want to consider applying for the United Club Credit Card. Not only will this card help you earn miles on your purchases quicker than other cards, but it will give you access to the United Club Lounge on domestic flights. While Gold and above give you Star Alliance access to lounges on international flights, status won't get you access for domestic flights (except when you get upgraded, which is spaartic at best). United/Chase does offer incentives on getting the card at a discount (and if your lucky, free) the first year of memebership. If you don't pack light, while you are at Silver(or even as a general member with no status), this card will also let you check a second bag free, which can help justify its price tag, making it a better deal than an outright United Club membership (as opposed to the United Club Credit Card annual fee.)

Sorry for any confusion between the credit card's product name and United lounge product name.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 6:38 am

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
You might tell them to stop. It's too late for me, but perhaps a young person can be saved.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 8:02 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
1) Accumulate your flights on a single airline. I would be well past 1MM on UACO if I had done this, rather than advancing towards it now. Or at least accumulate your miles into a single FF program. This means loyalty to the same airline alliance.

2) Have a plan. Figure out approximately how many miles you will travel yearly on business, and calculate if it is worth doing some mileage running to get to the next elite level. This really depends on your individual travel patterns.

3) Save your miles for a dream trip like first class tickets to a destination half way around the world. If you have never flown international F on a foreign carrier it is something to aspire to. ^

4) Educate yourself as much as you can so as to maximize your travel opportunities and experiences.

SunLover
Old Aug 19, 2012, 8:21 am

Advice? Never stop forgetting that flying is special, it is enjoyable and a treat. Being stuck in the middle seat of the last row of any plane is better than being on the ground any day. Never stop enjoying people watching, be in awe of those who are fortunate enough to work at an airport. Never go to the airport without first having made a list of every alternative flight should you be lucky enough to get a DB or face some IRROPS, do this not just for your departing airport but for each connecting point on that days travel; on your list you should note the number of available seats for each just before you leave for the airport as it is quicker to look at stale data on paper than to surf as you speak with the GA. Treat UGs always as an unexpected gift; never develop a sense of (over) entitlement. Think of IRROPS as a lucky adventure, never a torture. Pad your travel schedule with as much flexibility as possible. When travelling overseas for business tack on a day or two of vacation whenever you can. Remeber that the key things needed in a hotel is that it is safe and clean, other things may be nice but are never needed. Never ever give an airline revenue for anything that is not needed: pack lightly (no bag fees), pack a sandwich (no onboard meal fees), don't pack your ego (never ever pay for E+, C, or F or lounge access). Save your miles for more travel, don't waste them on upgrades. Be loyal to your airline, but never so loyal as to fly them when they aren't as cheap as the next guy (well a few dollars is ok); FF plans should keep you loyal when other things are equal, not when they aren't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.